PDA

View Full Version : Fuel - It's Happening Again

SJH
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I know we are tired of fuel threads and there is nothing to be done, but I am curious if this is happening around the country as well. It seems that although I live within 10 miles of two major oil refineries, fuel prices here in the 4th corner of WA are always higher than most areas. This morning diesel is $3.90! By the weekend no doubt it will hit the $4.00 mark!

jdfishing
02-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Same here in northern CA. We've got several refineries withing 20 miles and the fuel prices have jumped in the last few weeks. Now they say it's the trouble in the middle east causing it. But we were getting warnings of $4.00+/gal as early as last year. They were preparing us. They've always got a reason/excuse.

Rrloren
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Oil's over $100 a barrel and rising. If we don't get to drilling our own oil we will see $5 a gal. for fuel. Wait till we all see the price for any products delivered by truck.

ChopperBill
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I got an e-mail that said to quit buying fuel from Mobil and Exxon. They are the two largest suppliers and if they lower the price to get back customers the rest will follow suite.

TandT
02-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Here's a good fuel price check link for California. They may have these in other states as well.
http://www.californiagasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D

SouthernNights
02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
This is a very timely thread. I just bought a little 4cyl 5 speed 2004 Ford Ranger. I am spending right at $700.00 on fuel with the big truck. I am hoping for a saving of $350/ month and a pay back in a little over year with current prices.
Fuel is at $3.40 right now, up from $3.19 almost overnight. I am betting by the end of March we will be over $4.00.

dprince99
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Why should an Oil Company sell more gas for less money, when they can sell less gas for more money???
They don't even ask any more, they just reach in to our pockets and take what they want, and then use what ever excuse CNN states for the day!!!
I think we need the Independent Truckers help again, and this time stand with them!!! But I'm sure that there will always be those that will say that it's not that bad, & always look to the excuse of the day for the answer.

boatto5er
02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
This is a very timely thread. I just bought a little 4cyl 5 speed 2004 Ford Ranger. I am spending right at $700.00 on fuel with the big truck. I am hoping for a saving of $350/ month and a pay back in a little over year with current prices.
Fuel is at $3.40 right now, up from $3.19 almost overnight. I am betting by the end of March we will be over $4.00.

Hey Larry,

You gonna pull the Big Country with that:rolleyes:?

lmcclure
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
This is getting to be the biggest farce. Egypt doesn't really produce any oil they just control the Suez Canal, Libya just produces 2% of the oil and we the users are suffering because of them. As was stated CNN predicted that the prices would rise over 2 months ago. I love nature and trees as much as the other person but it has got to get to a point that we as AMERICANS can drill in our own back yard without some lawyer/organization telling us we can't. If something isn't done the price will go over $5.00 a gallon. jmho.

SouthernNights
02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Larry,

You gonna pull the Big Country with that:rolleyes:?

I was thinking about it. This guy did it why can't I?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5SIrCbk2mDIB6X2ZVXuJByqzRbVP4l qr0oCfneCGabFO4qQUg

cjhicks
02-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Just got fuel an hour ago , $3.66 a Gal. here in SW Florida. That was at a Walmart not on the Interstate.

caissiel
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I had a 4 cylinder ranger and my best millage was 28ImpMPG and with the ford 6.0L i can get 26ImpMPG and be able to haul 3 times the load.

the only time I could save 50% on fuel was to drive a VW diesel at 56ImpMPG.

The savings were from $320 to $180 per month and payed for the first RV we ever owned.

I did some payback calculations when I had a 6.5L GM and found that keeping the truck was more economical then driving a Cavalier. But the VW had positive results due to the diesel and retaining value of the vehicle.

SJH
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I know we are tired of fuel threads and there is nothing to be done, but I am curious if this is happening around the country as well. It seems that although I live within 10 miles of two major oil refineries, fuel prices here in the 4th corner of WA are always higher than most areas. This morning diesel is $3.90! By the weekend no doubt it will hit the $4.00 mark!

This is almost comical...drove by the same Chevron on the way home and it is now $3.98

TandT
02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
I've got a lot of opinions about this, but I won't express them. If I did, the thread would be shut down. :-)

2psnapod2
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Don't we all!!!

hoefler
02-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I almost hate to post this, here in Shell Knob, Mo., diesel is at $3.21, reg gas is $2.93.

Flame away!!

TandT
02-24-2011, 08:36 PM
I almost hate to post this, here in Shell Knob, Mo., diesel is at $3.21, reg gas is $2.93.

Flame away!!

No offense, what's a Shell Knob? :-)

jbeletti
02-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Steve,

I've been paying $3.40s / $3.50s per gallon the last few days in MS/AR/TN.

All,

Let be real careful on this thread - lest it gets closed pretty fast. We all have our views on this just as we all have our own political and religious views. While fuel and its cost is very relevant to our ability to RV, I just don't want to see this thread go down a road that is better suited to so many other forums out there.

Thanks gang,

Jim

archbarb
02-25-2011, 06:18 AM
3.49 is the best price here in SE Georgia. We are a two diesel family. My truck has the Duramax, and my DW has a Jeep Liberty, Trail Rated with the 2.8 diesel engine. Thankfully I have a company vehicle I use during the week, and usually only drive my truck on weekends or traveling with the BC.

Archie

hoefler
02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
If you know where Branson Mo. is, we are 30 miles due west across the pond.

JohnDar
02-25-2011, 08:03 AM
My question is, do the prices reflect what the "big oil" companies are charging to get it out of the ground or are the wild price jumps and dips the result of commodity speculators in the market? I think the latter is the culprit. That the oil companies make outrageous profits if the speculators bid up the price of a barrel is another story. The other side of this are the basic supply and demand rules. More and more people every day wanting cars and fuel, and less of it available every day. There isn't any new oil being made and building new refineries at todays cost and regulation would put any oil company in big red numbers. And after the Gulf spill, getting it out of there or the North Slope isn't a real popular idea. There are the oil shale deposits in the west, but the "not in my backyard" crowd is already harping on that prospect. And until the processing technology can be made less costly than pulling a barrel of liquid crude out of the ground, it's still not a viable industry.

So, where does this leave us? We can hoot 'n' holler, stamp our feet, yell and scream, but at the end of the day, if we want to play, we've got to pay. Could be worse. We could be paying in Euro's and getting it by the quart.

Dave49
02-25-2011, 08:51 AM
I see not a thing I can do about the cost. I just hope it doesn't bring this country to its knees once again. My estimation it will, but who am I? I guess a few less nights out to to dinner will defray the cost for now, just hope thats all I have to do.

Dave

jmgratz
02-25-2011, 09:09 AM
FYI - Port Arthur, Texas (where I grew up) - Construction is currently in progress expanding all the the several refineries there. When completed PA will have the world's largest oil refinery. What is weird is fuel prices are higher in Port Arthur where the oil is refined than it is in Houston where the the oil is consumed. Guess Washington and other places have the same situation. We need to all be smart consumers and not be wasteful. I do remember when I was a kid I could buy gasoline for 17 cents a gallon. But I could also get a loaf of bread for 25 cents. Times have changed. How many are going to have to cancel plans of going to the Rally because of financial issues?

JohnDar
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Expanding or updating an existing facility is less expensive or regulation inhibited than building a new one in a green field. And then there's always the question of whose backyard you gonna build it in and how many palms need to be greased.

But to answer your question; nope, we're not cancelling anything.

kkamshop
02-25-2011, 05:00 PM
JohnDar has it right - look at the commodities trading chart and you can see when the "guys with money" decided to jump back into buying futures.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/futures/

Just wish it wasn't our hard earned money they were playing with :(

Nabo
02-25-2011, 06:52 PM
WOW - on my way home today, diesel was $3.65 - up 51 cents since tuesday. Guess tax refund will be put aside just for fuel :(

hillsonwheels
02-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Tax refund???????? What's that??????? :rolleyes: Saw prices yesterday in a drive about here in central FL as high as $3.67. Here in Lady Lake it's at $3.45 at Sam's.

boatto5er
02-25-2011, 09:37 PM
$3.79 9/10 here :(

TravelTiger
02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Gee, only $3.49 in Terrell, TX 2-25-11

2psnapod2
02-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Gee, only $3.49 in Terrell, TX 2-25-11

Only? As far as I think, anything over about 1.75 is too much.

jbeletti
02-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Noticed on the Flying J or Pilot sign tonight between Knoxville and Crossville, TN that it was $3.63. That's probably cash/exempt.

beardedone
02-25-2011, 10:45 PM
On my way back to Alberta on the I-15 and at Idaho Falls I paid 3.59 for Diesel. When I get back to Red Deer, AB I will be paying 99.9 per liter at Flying "J". Surprisingly with the value of Canuck buck at $1.02 per US $ it works out fairly close to equal because prices in the US have been going up a lot faster than at home. I have seen advertised prices from 3.69 to 3.79 in the last 12 hours. Maybe time to put a tuner on the truck.

tmcran
02-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Just got back from Baytown,Tx. Talked with friend in the oil distribution end.Said the refinerys had no place to store any more oil. He said there were between15-20 tanks over the horizon waiting to unload. He said the speculators are looking for any excuse to bid up the price.

JohnDar
02-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Diesel at a BP near the freeway was $3.85. At a 7/11, they had it for $3.40, so I stopped there. But the pump was so slow I gave up after almost 10 minutes to get 3 gallons. Went to a Shell closer to home and got it for $3.70.

porthole
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
We have been paying between 1.349 and 1.369 for the past week.

2psnapod2
02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I just paid 3.49 in Milwaukee, WI.

Ray LeTourneau
02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Diesel at a BP near the freeway was $3.85. At a 7/11, they had it for $3.40, so I stopped there. But the pump was so slow I gave up after almost 10 minutes to get 3 gallons. Went to a Shell closer to home and got it for $3.70.
John, if you have a Chase BP card, you get 5% back on fuel purchases at BP stations. That brings that 3.85 down to 3.66 Every little bit helps. Oh and that rebate can be received many ways. check, BP gift card etc.

JohnDar
02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
John, if you have a Chase BP card, you get 5% back on fuel purchases at BP stations. That brings that 3.85 down to 3.66 Every little bit helps. Oh and that rebate can be received many ways. check, BP gift card etc.

Thanks, Ray, but the BP station I mentioned is 25 miles away and just happened to be near the shop where I had the fuel tank installed. The ones nearer don't carry diesel or charge freeway prices. I was getting it very close to home at a Marathon station, but they switched the diesel pump to E-85. So, usually, I end up at the Shell station. I prefer to use my Capital One card for almost everything and get the cash rewards. Kinda tee'd me off with the 7/11 molasses pump, though.

mmomega
03-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Between $3.49-$3.69 here depending on which corner of town you're in. I usually fill up at our local Grocery store gas station so for every 50 bucks or so you spend in groceries you get 10 cent of/gallon we only shop their anyway so they aren't drawing us in anymore than usual to get the discount. Again every little bit helps.

SJH
03-02-2011, 09:45 AM
As predicted but still a shocker...Chevron diesel is $4.12 this morning! That was a big increase!

lwmcguir
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
We went to $3.80 at most stations yesterday.

branson4020
03-02-2011, 12:48 PM
OUCH - $4.29 diesel in Rancho Mirage, CA.

2psnapod2
03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
3.77 at the TA off I57 in Mt Vernon, IL.

SouthernNights
03-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Fuel prices here have been $3.77 for the last few days. Nice to see the same price for fuel for more than two days.

My little Ranger got 27.5 mpg last week. Wow, couldn't believe it. At that rate, pay back on the truck will be less than one year including insurance.

It is going to take a little getting used to people riding my butt and aiming for me. It seems people will pull out in front of you a lot quicker in a little pick up than a big one.
The other day a guy kept flashing his headlights at me and waving for me to pull over so he could pass. He was getting very impatient with me. I finally let him come around. As he passed me he yelled at me telling me that that I need to stay out of the way of his MOPED. :D:D

Birchwood
03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
We are already over $5.00/US gallon in Canada and I go back to those prices in May.Thats when I park the truck and drive the Honda.
The cure for high US gas prices is travel in Canada for a month this summer and when you return home fuel prices will seem like a bargain.

jmgratz
03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I am now beginning to wonder how many are going to cancel going to the rally due to the high fuel prices. I know, if you can afford the fuel you should sell the RV. But how is this going to hurt the RV industry? I know it will cost me about $1500 in fuel to travel from Texas to Indiana for the rally. I love the rally but that is a steep price to pay. C'MON MAN, let's get real about the cost of fuel. Let's just watch the profit statements of the oil companies and we will see how badly we are being taken advantage of. END OF RANT.....

SJH
03-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Since I saw the "return" of this thread...here is the latest $4.25 at the Chevron yesterday (Saturday)

Peteandsharon
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, our summer plans started out with a trip to the east coast from Illinois. Now, we may visit a couple of Illinois state parks and call it even. We were looking seriously at snowbirding in TX starting next winter. Now, getting there could cost us as much as the stay itself. I saw $4.29 up in Kent Washington last week for diesel and figure that will be in the midwest by late March or April. The fuel prices of 2008 could quickly look like a bargain.

lwmcguir
03-07-2011, 06:04 AM
We bought our coach and Augusta based on it being a extended stay coach. Larger water/propane/space and so on. We knew that fuel was going to get expensive. When you don't drill in large oil reserves or build refineries and you have more people every day fuel is going to go up. If the economy truly recovers it will be even higher. Most likely it will stabilize around $5 when the economy is good enough to lower un-employment down to the 5% range. Construction, farming, and freight are the big users. All of those things except farming are reduced from 2008 levels. Farming uses less per acre due to chemical fallow and no till plus more fuel effieicnt tractors. We are glad the new truck gets so much better mileage but still we are going to travel slower and stay longer to offset the fuel cost hit.

pegmikef
03-07-2011, 06:51 AM
In San Angelo, TX we had 3.69 and gas at 3.42 yesterday.

bacaye
03-07-2011, 08:31 AM
We were at $4 in West Central Illinois Thursday. We now make sure our out of town trips include all shopping, doctors, etc. No one item trips now and we include a gas stop on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River. I read an email not long ago about our oil storage is full and tankers have been waiting off shore to drop off oil but no place ro put it. I guess that is the best story I have heard lately but it did come from Texas. I have no idea if that is true but I would imagine some truth to it. I am sure our travels are going to be limited to very close places. Spending $350 a month camping at our city lake sounds better all the time but just not as much fun. I also heard that in 10 yrs...at the rate we are going...the USA will no longer have financial power. China, Russia, Brazil, Middle East areas have the wealth to control the markets. We are seeing that now. This summer may be going to Plan B which is a forced diet because of the food prices to come and roasting hotdogs around the local campfire.. We are making one of those one day trips so anxious to see what the gas prices are in town today...Hoping Missouri is still below $4.

Invizatu
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
3.34 a gallon here in North Texas! Life is good....LOL
They will get the price up to around $5 and then we will be pleased and satisfied when it settles back to around $3.75 (NOT!)
I say drill drill drill and quit buying from the mid East, keep our money in our economy!!! Rant Over.

jmgratz
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
FYI - Refinery construction is currently underway in Port Arthur, Texas which will be the home of the world's largest refinery when completed. You cannot find an empty RV spot in Port Arthur due to all of the refinery contractors taking up all the available ones. Most refineries have full storage tanks, pipelines and ships waiting to unload with nowhere to put it. Oil shortage? Ha Ha
Not trying to be political just realistic.

tmcran
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Well just cancelled our RV trip to Glacier.I have a limit on price and cost on R V.3.75 is it. Stopped smoking at 2.00 pack. We are going but will use car getting 26 mpg. Have some good motels very willing to negotiate on prices.. Have some short trips still planned. Two of the parks we had reservations for offered to lower price but extra days of travel don't off set savings.

SouthernNights
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Not a record yet but with these barrel prices it might not be too long.

http://www.oil-price.net/

Note: I am not making a political, religious or economic statement--Just sharing info. :)

Jellystone
03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Diesel prices at the pump are around $3.80 in Louisiana right now. It's kind of strange that fuel prices are this high here since plenty of oil is sitting right off the coast and refineries are all over this great state. Oh yeah, I forgot, our President (???) will not release any more drilling blocks in the Gulf, even though a Federal Judge in New Orleans overturned his ban on drilling in the Gulf. But 2 days ago, our President (???) was in Brazil trying to partner with them to drill for oil. I see now, put offshore workers in the U.S.A out of work and send even more jobs overseas and raise prices for Americans. Here lately, Jimmy Carter has been looking like a friggin' genius.

Rrloren
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Fear not, we will soon be buying oil from Brazil at a really good price!! I hope we wake up and start drilling in our own known reserves before we all go broke!

tmcran
03-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Yep these darn Presidents! Went thru this in 08 with Bush now OB. Ofcourse the problem not mentioned is Speculators....and hedge funds that bid up the price without any justification. We are swimming in oil... If ya think not look at the weekly petroleum reports.

Ray LeTourneau
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Between Fredericksburg and Gainesville, TX on Hwy 281 prices ranged between $3.80 and $3.90. This for us calculates to about $120/day for our fuel expenses.

porthole
03-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Fear not, we will soon be buying oil from Brazil at a really good price!! I hope we wake up and start drilling in our own known reserves before we all go broke!

I wonder how much 2 billion dollars would go towards subsudizing the cost at the pumps :confused:

Yep these darn Presidents! Went thru this in 08 with Bush now OB. Ofcourse the problem not mentioned is Speculators....and hedge funds that bid up the price without any justification. We are swimming in oil... If ya think not look at the weekly petroleum reports.

Speculate:
Libya has problems - fuel jumps at the pumps within a day.

Tsumani in Japan and dramtic fuel drop for a barrel of oil, less then $100 - fuel at the pump stays the same

Razduck
03-24-2011, 12:17 AM
I know the Big Oil Companies are just playing games with the Political Situations to pad their bottom line and pockets. This stuff makes me so upset.

Diesel Fuel here in Eugene, OR today was $4.29 per gallon. AARRGGHH!!

lwmcguir
03-24-2011, 06:16 AM
If we weren't importing 7-8 million barrels of oil a day the price would be much more stable and we wouldn't have the trade imbalance at such a huge number. We either need to consume less or produce more in the US.

Really has little to do with big oil, lot more to do with supply and demand. Don't intend to start a war here either.

Jellystone
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
If we weren't importing 7-8 million barrels of oil a day the price would be much more stable and we wouldn't have the trade imbalance at such a huge number. We either need to consume less or produce more in the US.

Really has little to do with big oil, lot more to do with supply and demand. Don't intend to start a war here either.

I agree. If we produce more U.S. oil then we could help solve 2 problems. Putting a bunch of folks back to work with good paying jobs and lower the prices at the pump for everyone.

Fuel prices are bad now, just wait until we see the price of food go up like we've never seen before. It is the perfect time to get our money back from the Middle East--charge $250 per barrel of grain when we export it.

porthole
03-24-2011, 09:11 AM

Lets just do even trades - barrel of oil for a bushel of wheat.

Need be I could walk to work.
OPEC would have a hard time eating crude.

SJH
04-11-2011, 11:42 PM
This thread was started on February 4 and diesel was $3.90. Today, about 10 weeks later it is $4.50. About a 10 cent a week increase if I figured everything correctly. At that rate it will be well over $5.00 by July. No real point to the comment or concern but it just occurred to me as I was mapping out a summer trip this evening!

archbarb
04-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Here in our area of SE Georgia, depending on where you stop, diesel is 3.83 to 4.09 per gallon.

All I can say is when the independent truckers go on strike against fuel prices, I'll be on their band wagon!!!!!

Archie

SouthernNights
04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, for what ever reason, oil has dropped to 105.88-down from 113 a few days ago.

Could be the recent interest in permits in the USA. Whatever the reason I am glad to see it-or at least in a month-maybe.

traveler44
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
The highest we paid on the way back from Florida last week was $399.9 but we didn't stop at the bigger truck stops. We came home by way of Springfield Mo. and got diesel for $373.9 at an exit just west of Rolla. They have a restaurant there called MAKING IT FROM SCRATCH. We were shocked to find diesel is $4.20 here in Kankakee County. Highest of the whole trip. Tom M.

wonka
04-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Just returned from Montana with our new Big Horn, 4.15/gal, but cheaper than here at home (4.80/gal), don't count on local oil saving you money, I live on top of a bunch of it and generally we pay more than anyone.
The rig started the trip home pulling 14 mpg (was pretty happy) stopped to top off in Shelby (100 miles from home) topped her off with #1 diesel ( we only get #2 at home) expecting an improvement, but she dropped down to 11 mpg's ( pushing a 50-55 mph wind though). Averaging everything out (round trip) it cost me .35/mile in fuel. Once we get the RV fully loaded it might increase the cost, but as the truck breaks in, it might improve.
We had seen extreme fuel pricing two years ago (1.47/liter or 5.65/gal, don't want to see that again anytime soon), but we adjust as needed. Closer trips, leaving the trailer @ the camp and just taking the tow back and forth. The main thing is, we feel that these experiences are way better for our girls than sitting at home on the computor, or hanging around town with their friends. We are totally off the grid, no phone, no power, just the gen set, solar panels, chainsaw, and our toys ( motorcycles and quads).

tmcran
04-12-2011, 08:03 PM
We have cancelled all trips withRV. Will still go but use auto that gets 28 mpg. The thought of paying $4.00 plus every 10 miles just does not set well with me. I Continue to find motels very willing to negotiate room rates.

beardedone
04-12-2011, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=wonka;172916]Just returned from Montana with our new Big Horn, 4.15/gal, but cheaper than here at home (4.80/gal), don't count on local oil saving you money, I live on top of a bunch of it and generally we pay more than anyone.
The rig started the trip home pulling 14 mpg (was pretty happy) stopped to top off in Shelby (100 miles from home) topped her off with #1 diesel ( we only get #2 at home) expecting an improvement, but she dropped down to 11 mpg's ( pushing a 50-55 mph wind though). Averaging everything out (round trip) it cost me .35/mile in fuel.

/QUOTE]
I got caught in that #1 fuel trap also. There is no need for it and they arranged the pump face so you thought it is #2 as normal. When I caught what they were doing I shut it down and had enough to make it as far as I had to go because it was only my aux. tank. If you looked over to the left on that pump island they had #2 available. They must make a lot of money but they will never get another penny of mine!

SJH
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Just for fun...I was figuring a 2000 mile trip last night. At 11 mpg and $4.50 gal, that would be about $818 for fuel. The same trip at $3.50 gal would be $636. That's a $182 difference in fuel cost...a lot of money but not enough for us to cancel the trip. We will do fewer and perhaps closer to home adventures but will still use our RV.

Ray LeTourneau
04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
$4.16 in central Wisconsin. We'll be staying put until Goshen. Fortunately we have a car that gets decent mpg to drive while we're home. Hmmm, I wonder mileage our lawn mower gets. Would that be measured like a boat? Hours per gallon?:rolleyes:

olcoon
04-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I just got emailed info on a fuel coupon that actually works (I've tried it!) It's just for a gallon, but you can use as many coupons as you want & they don't expire! But you'd better hurry or you may need 2 of them for a gallon!

gmc
04-13-2011, 12:12 AM
central calif. 4.45 at most stations for diesel

rick_debbie_gallant
04-13-2011, 12:39 AM

I just got emailed info on a fuel coupon that actually works (I've tried it!) It's just for a gallon, but you can use as many coupons as you want & they don't expire! But you'd better hurry or you may need 2 of them for a gallon!

yikes, thanks for the post. It just gave me an idea: next time I go in to fill up my truck with diesel I may be paying with "PENNY'S"!! I know it will be a pain to carry that much "loose change" into the gas station, but it is a pain paying what we pay for fuel now. let me see: if diesel is 4.25 per gallon, then that means it will take If my calculations are correct at 2.5 grams per penny and taking 35 gallons of fuel for my truck I would need to carry around about 81 pounds of pennys, or about 15000 penny's! Guess who is going to the bank tomorrow?

Now the question is do I give the gas station 300 rolls of penny's or 82 pounds of loose penny's? Can you imagine if several customers did this?

GOTTOYS
04-13-2011, 12:50 AM
I too feel the pain. But I can't imagine what paying the poor $7.00 an hour clerk at the gas station with pennies would accomplish. It's not their fault the prices are high and I bet they get tired of hearing about it. They have to buy gas too. Read an interesting point a few weeks back. If we doubled the mpg a car got I bet the fuel prices would double to make up for the lost sales. Look at the high gas prices in Europe where the cars and smaller and more fuel efficient. The oil companies got us, no doubt about it....Don

rick_debbie_gallant
04-13-2011, 12:55 AM

I too feel the pain. But I can't imagine what paying the poor $7.00 an hour clerk at the gas station with pennies would accomplish. It's not their fault the prices are high and I bet they get tired of hearing about it. They have to buy gas too. Read an interesting point a few weeks back. If we doubled the mpg a car got I bet the fuel prices would double to make up for the lost sales. Look at the high gas prices in Europe where the cars and smaller and more fuel efficient. The oil companies got us, no doubt about it....Don

Don, it was a "tongue in cheeker" :rolleyes:;)

porthole
04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Saw $4.70 today at a lukoil ( wouldn't buy their fuel anyway)
Also noticed around our area that the highway stations were higher then the non highway.

Yellowreef
04-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Most of the cost in Europe is taxes, we have cheaper gas because the gas taxes haven't reached those levels. My favorite example is the 175% tax in the UK.

olcoon
04-17-2011, 01:59 AM
I think I've come up with a solution for all this mess. I'm going to dump the truck & car, buy a couple of horses, team of mules, & a covered wagon to replace the 5er. Now all I've got to do is convince the DW!!!

Ray LeTourneau
04-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I think I've come up with a solution for all this mess. I'm going to dump the truck & car, buy a couple of horses, team of mules, & a covered wagon to replace the 5er. Now all I've got to do is convince the DW!!!
Great idea! How many horses would it take to pull a 15000# Bighorn:confused: :D

SmokeyBare
04-17-2011, 08:01 AM
What's your H&GPM numbers?

How much Hay & Grain do you think you'll get Per Mile?

olcoon
04-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Haven't quite got all the details worked out yet. Right now I'm still trying to finance the big change, as the way the economy is right now, I don't want to borrow the money to buy the critters. I've been doing an inventory of liquid assets, and I've got at least 100 cords of post holes out back. I'm trying to work out a deal with Home Deopt and Lowes to sell them. I've got basically unlimited resources to get more post holes in my inventory, just need the time to do it. Right now I'm also talking with a major RV supply company to supply dehydrated water. Thing about this product is that you don't have to worry about the extra weight, bulging water tanks, and you can carry 10 times the water with little weight increase, and you don't have to worry about the creepy critters in your fresh water!

If anyone is interested in either of the products, you can call me at BR549 and we'll get it on the next Pony Express to you anywhere in the lower 48...next month delivery at no charge.

JohnDar
04-17-2011, 11:11 AM

And then the only "road hazards" you'll have to worry about will come swooping down on their ponies, whooping and a hollering, shooting their firesticks at you. Better shave your head before they do. Might be handy to have a bugler's charge on tape, just in case.

jmgratz
04-17-2011, 05:45 PM
The sky is falling. The sky is falling

Freckles
04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I saw it at $4.01 a gallon for unleaded today on my way home , here in upstate NY!!! ouch!!:mad:

How high will it go ?

branson4020
04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I saw it at $4.01 a gallon for unleaded today on my way home , here in upstate NY!!! ouch!!:mad:

How high will it go ?
Diesel will go above $5.00 in some places.

JWalker
04-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Diesel is between $4.19 - $4.25 in Somerset Pa. Have been throwing a few extra $20s in the fuel fund for the camping trips this year.

Dave49
04-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Ok diesel is now $4.25 per gal. here in MI. just about everywhere. I live fulltime in my Bighorn and travel some. I just got back from Gulf Shores AL. and arrived here in MI. Does the fuel cost bother me? Yes!! Is it going to stop me? No!!! And heres our theory on the fuel prices that threaten our lifestyle.

The cost of from Gulf Shores to MI.

$4.25 per Gal = $595
$4.00 per Gal = $560
$3.00 per Gal = $420

So it seems that the difference between $4.25 and $4.00 is one less time to eat out for dinner. The difference between $4.00 and $3.00 is about once a week less out to dinner. Also we now elect to stay at CG's for a month at a time, that usually saves you at least a $100.00 per mo. or more, and gives you time to look at the area around you. To me the fuel is giving us a change in the way we do things, but as long as it don't go much higher we will be fine.

Dave

Ray LeTourneau
04-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Ok diesel is now $4.25 per gal. here in MI.
The cost of from Gulf Shores to MI.

$4.25 per Gal = $595
$4.00 per Gal = $560
$3.00 per Gal = $420

So it seems that the difference between $4.25 and $4.00 is one less time to eat out for dinner. The difference between $4.00 and $3.00 is about once a week less out to dinner. Also we now elect to stay at CG's for a month at a time, that usually saves you at least a $100.00 per mo. or more, and gives you time to look at the area around you. To me the fuel is giving us a change in the way we do things, but as long as it don't go much higher we will be fine.

Dave
That's a pretty good perspective. Similar to traveling all over town for the sales on groceries and other things. Unless a particular store has a specific item we do all of our grocery shopping in 2 places. The cost of gas to drive to several places isn't worth the savings.
Will it get better, I hope so but I'm not counting on it happening soon. Maybe like a few years ago it will start to come down in late summer or fall.

sgtbigb
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Who pee, Diesel drop from $3.95.9 a gallon to $3.89.9 a gallon here in San Antonio today :=)

SJH
05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Who pee, Diesel drop from $3.95.9 a gallon to $3.89.9 a gallon here in San Antonio today :=)

At least that's the right direction. Still $4.40 here. Funny, Seattle news (we are 100+ miles north) always lists our fuel prices as the highest in the state. I live 5 miles from the Tesoro and BP refineries!

JWalker
05-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Dropped .10 cents to $4.09. Hopefully it will be below $4 by the rally.

SouthernNights
05-17-2011, 05:45 PM
SC-dropped 8 cents today down to 3.81.

Oil at $97.91 right now http://www.oil-price.net/ , the lowest it has been in a few months, of course it changes by the minute. Hopefully we will see 3.30 or lower by mid summer if the trend continues.

Rrloren
05-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Saw $3.79 here in So. Jersey. Remarkable that that sounds cheap! We are sheep!

TXBobcat
05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Just the other day while in Kerrville, TX I went to Walmart and at the Murphy fuel station the price of diesel was $3.78 and with a Walmart Shopping card I got 3 off for $3.75. Just down the road a major brand station was selling diesel for $4.03. I am now at Amarillio and Diesel at the Loves truck stop is $3.99. We are really getting ripped off.

BC

jayc
05-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I have found that the truck stops are typically 10-15 cents higher than other local stations. I guess they charge for the convenience of big rigs being able to enter and exit, large parking lots and greasy food.

cookie
05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
3.93 and up here in Goshen.

Peace
Dave

Terry H
05-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Bob,

Where are you staying in Amarillo, the east side or the West side. We usually stay at Oasis RV Park. If you are on the west side go to Walmart on So. Coulter about 3 miles south of I-40 just south of 45th Street. Here is link to Gas Buddy (http://www.amarillogasprices.com/).

TXBobcat
05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Terry
Yes we are at Oasis RV and I know where the Wal-Mart is located. Was there today and the Fuel price including the discount is $3.91 per gallon.

I like this park. Looked at a number of the around town and this one has them all beat hands down. From the Review I almost went to Fort Amarillo RV. Sure glad I didn't. Only wish they had some grass between the sites like Buckhorn. Otherwise this is great.

BC

Terry H
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Bob,

We have been going to Amarillo to visit my daughter, husband for at least 4 years, we have stayed at a few other RV parks there. But now Oasis is the only place that I stay when in Amarillo.

2psnapod2
05-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Bob what Walmart card are you using? Did not realize there was a shopping card for Walmart.

TXBobcat
05-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Bob what Walmart card are you using? Did not realize there was a shopping card for Walmart.

Yes. I go into Wal-Mart and put $150-200 or what ever I need to fuel up on diesel on a walmart shopping card using my credit card. Then I go to the diesel pump and pump diesel using the shopping card. This gives me a 3 discount. 70 gallons X .03 gives me $2.10 savings. Not much in the short run but in the long run the drip will fill the bucket.

BC

Ray LeTourneau
05-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Still at $4.15 in central Wisconsin.

pegmikef
05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
In San Angelo, Texas Regular is running 3.60 - 3.70 and diesel 3.79 - 3.89.

GOTTOYS
05-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Phew! All the way down to $3.99 a gal. for diesel yesterday here in Minnesota. At least it's going down. This has to be killing the trucking industry, among others...Don

WilmanJim
05-18-2011, 09:16 AM
So far since we left CA, San Diego, on the 10th of May we have paid less than $4.00/ gallon. Was $4.699 when we left San Diego. Cheapest was Eloy, AZ at $3.819 at Flying J with 3 cent discount. We are in Luling TX at the moment.
We have had a 20-40 knot headwind all across TX so far. Sure would be nice to get a tailwind now and then. Seems like no matter where we travel it's always a headwind. Hoping to get across the Mississippi River come Friday.
Safe Travels Everyone
Jim

kakampers
05-18-2011, 09:32 AM

You can use any reloadable Walmart card...keep one in my wallet and use it whenever we can...every little bit helps...

traveler44
05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Diesel is $4.24 at the Shell here but it is $4.09 at the Phillips 66 five miles south. Our Shell is the first place to gouge as soon as they hear fuel prices are going up. They were as high as $4.35 but I think they lost enough business that they decided to lower the price a little. I will drive the 5 miles just to keep from doing business with them from now on. Tom M.

JohnDar
05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Yep, the Shell here in town is always higher than anybody else, too. Usually by 10-cents a gallon, at least.

jmgratz
05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Shell is 10 cents a gallon higher because you can use your Kroger card to get a 10 cent a gallon discount. It is a marketing ploy. Raise the price 10 cents to allow you to get a 10 cent discount.

JohnDar
05-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Shell is 10 cents a gallon higher because you can use your Kroger card to get a 10 cent a gallon discount. It is a marketing ploy. Raise the price 10 cents to allow you to get a 10 cent discount.

Hmm. I've got a Kroger card, but never thought of using it at Shell. I don't shop a lot at Kroger, just odds & ends (nice store, but their parking is a nightmare even with the Equinox). I was under the impression that you needed to run up "credits" at Kroger in order to get any kind of discount at the pumps. Not so?

jayc
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
At our local Kroger store in Spring, you got a .03 cent a gallon discount just for using the Kroger card even if you didn't have a credit points. With 100 points you get a .10 per gallon discount. With 1000 points you get a dollar a gallon discount. Just before we left, I found a Shell with $3.89 diesel, so with the .10 off, got it for $3.79. We can't store enough groceries in our trailer to get 1000 points.