towing

jpmorgan37

precisionlawn;

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum over the past several years regarding this issue. Most of the members feel that, although the 2500HD duramax does an outstanding job of pulling, the concern is twofold. First, the GCWR of the vehicle is exceeded that in itself create a safety issue. Secondly, 8 tons pushing a 3/4 ton truck down twisting, mountain roads is not a fun thing to do. Yes, you have trailer brakes and in those situations, you have to rely heavily upon them. With a dually, you have much better stopping ability due to the increased tire surface on the road. You also have a higher GCWR with the 1 ton or larger vehicle. States are starting to look harder at RV's because so many are exceeding the design weight rating. Pennsylvania, for one, is stopping and weighing and making them either relocate loads or off load to get the weight on the pin into compliance. This is usually followed by a citation. I expect more states to follow in the future. There is some interesting discussion in these threads: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2070 //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=13638#post13638
I don't mean to discourage you on your choice of tow vehicles, but I had a 2500HD D/A that pulled great, but I was just overloaded.
John

timk

precisionlawn;
Our dually isn't enough truck (in my humble opinion) for our 3400. If your looking for a new rig, think big. If your making due with what you have, ok but.....
That said, there are a lot of 2500's on the road pulling big 5ers. If you live in Kansas your probably going to have a different opinion than the guys in Denver.

TimK

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
precisionlawn,
We have a Chevy 2500HD Duramax shortbed and we pull a 3500RL also. It pulls and stops very well. I can't tell you how many miles we've towed it but we camp every weekend, so therefore we pull it every weekend from early April til late October. Although I say that, If I were fulltiming I would seriously consider a Chevy Kodiak 4500. I test drove one (on accident haha) and that thing would stop on a dime. Definitely the right tool for the job when it comes to towing a big rig like the 3500RL.

Anyway that's my 2-cents for you. Good luck

Mark

fhollan

I started pulling my BH with a F250 with a 7.3 PSD last year. The three short trips I took the truck pulled just fine. My concern was the pin weight. I even had air bags. Weight is weight, no matter which way you look at it. This was a big concern with me. I traded the truck in on a DRW earlier this year. It's better to be safe. You owe it to your family.

tappet

which truck

Really trying to decide whether to buy a dually one ton chevrolet, dodge or ford diesel. Anybody have any pro and cons about these trucks they may want to share before I purchase one.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What the heck, I'll be the first to jump in on this one. I've never owned a Dodge. I've heard good power, fair transmission and manual is better than the auto. The only personal opinion I have against Ford is they don't put grease fittings on their front suspension and steering components. Mine went south at about 45,000 miles. I've had new Chevys since 2001 and just bought my 1st diesel. No complaints so far. Also in my opinion, the best automatic trans. Allison. Have fun with your decision.

nhunter

I have to defend mother Ford. There is grease fittings on steering components and the ball joints and u joints are lubed for life(of the part ;) ). I have had a 94, 97, 99, 01, 02, 04 and currently have an 06 Ford F-350. For the love of god don't by an late 03-early 04. Injector problems, wiring on motor, to many problems to list. I traded in that truck for my 06. Love the 06 45000km and no problems. Dodges have excellent motors/ manuals, automatic not very good, fuel pump problems. Fords- decent motors/ automatic, stout frame/ running gear. Chevy- decent motors, excellent tranny, not so stout frame /running gear.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I am on my 3rd Ford dually. Started with a 1993 dually, 2001, and now a 2007.Each time I stepped up to get more power and towing ability. Very satisfied with all, especially the towing ability of my 2007. If I were buying tomorrow,I would buy a 2008 FORD. I guess you can say I like my Fords.

davebennington

Hey someone has to come to the defense of the poor Dodge, so I guess it will be me. I never owned a Dodge before but have had Fords and Chevys and have had good luck with both. The Dodge has a great motor, the auto transmission has been improved (48re) over the old version (47re) . I cannot speak to the quality of the standard tranny never had one. Down side it is only a 4 speed, new tranny is supposed to even better. The fuel system was improved alot by putting the pump in the tank. Ford great all around truck, Chevy never cared for but they have to be somewhat good based upon all of them on the road.
Just my opinion.

Dave

nhunter

I don't mean to say the others are bad pick me ups, like Dave said you see a lot of them on the road, but I like Fords. Can't beat the towing capacity.

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Which truck?

I have the Chevy D/A and it does everything I want it to do. My Chrysler opinions were formed back in the days when they would outrun almost anything, but you had to have a mechanic in the family to own one. I know they are a lot more dependable now. And that Cummins is a powerhouse for towing. I just never liked Fords, but can't really fault them. There are too many doing great things. I guess what I'm trying to say, it is like buying a house, or a house on wheels, it's an emotional thing. You just have to feel right about whatever decision you make.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
nhunter said:
I have to defend mother Ford. There is grease fittings on steering components and the ball joints and u joints are lubed for life(of the part ;) ). I have had a 94, 97, 99, 01, 02, 04 and currently have an 06 Ford F-350. For the love of god don't by an late 03-early 04. Injector problems, wiring on motor, to many problems to list. I traded in that truck for my 06. Love the 06 45000km and no problems. Dodges have excellent motors/ manuals, automatic not very good, fuel pump problems. Fords- decent motors/ automatic, stout frame/ running gear. Chevy- decent motors, excellent tranny, not so stout frame /running gear.

My first Ford (1997), although only an F150, had steering issues at 45K. Idler arm started to seize due to no grease. Only 2 years old too. Ford did come to the plate with a reduced repair rate but the replacement parts had no zirks either. Do the F250's and F350's come with fittings? Sorry for the daggar, just my personal experience.

nhunter

No dagger taken. The 99- present F-250, 350 have greasable steering arms. Ball joints and u joints still have no fittings(why would you want to grease a moving part?;) ). If you get an aftermarket u joint or ball joint they will have zerks. Like Eduardo37 said it it a emotional thing. All my inlaws drive GM's so there is some pretty good battles at family get togethers:p. I think all make fairly competitive trucks with good and bad.

BluegrassMan

Hi Guys:
IMHO, there's a New Sherriff in town ! It's called the F-450, it's the BADDEST pickup ever. Sure you can go with the next class up, Chassis cab with a upfit RV bed. But just your average pickemup, 450 kicks everyones but. Good Lord willing, in another couple months, I'll have one. With 6000lb load cap. in the bed, 24,500 towing rating. You can haul anything.

ct0218

I'm pulling 24K now with no problems, plenty of power. No problems with the truck otherwise either. All three have their weak and strong points, and all have had some bad years. The 2 Fords I had prior to the GMC soured me on Ford, and never had a Dodge, but there are plenty of all three on the roads with no problems. Seems to be the luck of the draw, go with what you feel comfortable with. Often it is dealer service experiences that turn people on or off to a particular brand, again, the luck of the draw!

jbeletti

Denny,

On this beautiful (finally), sunny day in Chicago (76 degrees !), I had some extra time this afternoon after a few inventory audits, so I stopped by a Ford dealer to look over the new F450. Wow! Very nice. Looked it over pretty well and for grins, had them build one in the computer and give me the pricing (invoice & retail). Big numbers...

The dealership owner has a thing for big trucks. He's already moved 2 of his 3 F450s and kept the 3rd for himself. He also has on his lot, his own F650 with a tow-body. Really cool looking. I guess he buys antique vehicles and hauls them back home.

Dreaming............

Jim

Midastouch

F450

I honestly have not gone in search of an F450 to look at locally because it will drive me crazy trying to think of how I could get one and justify it! I know I'll be envious when rally time comes, so I'll have to prepare for that ...:(

Another trade perhaps???? :rolleyes:

markandrenita

I am curious. I have never seen any documented proof of an rv being pulled over and cited for being overweight, in any state. I spend a lot of time on rvnet.

The second poster states this is happening in Penn. Documentation for this claim?

rayw796

F-450 King Ranch

I decided before I purchased a fifth wheel to be over capacity. I have had my F-450 since end of March and it is great. White over Gold which will match my Landmark Mt Rushmore which I will be picking up within the next 10 days. Parking has become a much more interesting process!

I have people coming up to me all the time asking about the truck or telling me how great it looks. It is sweet.None