HOC Member Needs Some Advice on Truck and Hitch selection

Currently a tow behind user (North Country 22FB) and have been a "tow behind guy" for over 35 years. We're looking to upgrade and become "fivers" and of course that not only requires a new truck but a new Heartland as well.
We've selected a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD with Duramax Diesel. The choice of model is extended cab with standard bed so that the vehicle will fit in the garage (this is very important). We really like the Big Country 2950RK and have heard lots of opinions suggesting we were making a mistake with the "rear kitchen" configuration. (Interestingly those with the strongest opinions never had a rear kitchen configuration). The criticism centers around the fact that with the kitchen in the rear of the unit all kitchen items bounce around severely and fall out on the floor. We think this is more of a packing problem and not a coach problem.
So my questions are as follows (I hope some 5th wheel, rear kitchen owners will chime in).
1. Will the Silverado 2500, Extended Cab, with Standard Bed (78.9") require a "slider type" of 5th wheel hitch. My choice would be the B&W Companion of the non-slider type, if this would work?
2. Is a "pin catcher" (Blue Ox) attachment a recommendation for a new fifth wheel owner?
3. What hs been some "owner experience" with the rear kitchen floorplan?
Thank you for your input ... we value the opinions of other HOC Members.
Bob and Susie Braund

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: HOC Member Needs Some Advice

Have you already purchased the 2500 ?

TedS

Our previous Lakota 5th wheel was a rear kitchen. We never percieved a problem with it. The upper rear cabinet doors tended to open in travel, but velcro straps took care of that. The coffee maker set on the counter on a nonskid pad and always stayed in place. The kitchen was back out of the way in a sense. The door was midships and you entered the living room area.

Have a 2004 Chev 2500 Duramax. Alway had a long box, so can not speak to slider or not.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

My sister has been dragging a rear kitchen Golden Falcon around for years without a problem.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

One of our members (sandman) has a sundance with the rear kitchen and loves it. The Elk Ridge has a rear kitchen model and it sells quite well. The new 2500 Chevy has a higher GVCW rating than the older classic that we have. I think it's 17K for a 5er. As far as the short bed, your good to go without a slider. I have a slider and have never used it, even with our other TV and it was a short bed. A slider does increase some "chucking" because of the slide movement. JMHO

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders

Our previous 5er had a rear kitchen and we hauled it for 10 years with no problems. The only thing we did was to use small bungies to keep doors closed by the slide so one would not accidently open and then get torn off when opening the slide.

rons5er

First of all the B&W Companion is a great hitch. You will not have a problem. I pulled a Cougar and our new Big Country with a 2006 Chevy 2500 D/A Ex-Cab Standard bed 4wd with no clearance issues at all. However, I did have a GVWR problem with the truck. With the mid-profile Cougar I was well with in the trucks capacity. When we went to the Big Country 3250 I was over the trucks GVWR (9200) by 350 to 400lbs. While that is not to bad I knew down the road that I would have to watch my weight. If I wanted to carry more in the truck (aux fuel tank etc) I would be nearing my GVAWR which I was not comfortable with. I ended going with a DRW so I don't have to worry about extra cargo. Even though the new Chevy has increased capacity I strongly suggest at least the 3500 SRW. The cost difference is minimal and it will give you the "piece of mind" of having a larger payload capacity. You will not suffer a poorer ride as these new GM trucks have a great ride for a H.D. truck. Good Travels

Ted & Jean: My wife has also "fallen in love" with the Bighorn 2985RL based upon the kitchen layout. We've physically been in a 2011, 2985RL (access to the bedroom on the far street side) but notice in the latest literature the kitchen counter is "cut off" at an angle and the access to the bedroom goes up at an angle. Which unit do you have? Perhaps a "running change" at Heartland? ... If we don't go with the rear kitchen, we're going with the Bighorn 2985RL The biggest thing we like about the "rear kitchen" is that it puts the kitchen "out of the way" and the access door to the coach in the middle of the unit.
Bob Braund HOC 1096

TANDT: ... still in the "gathering info" and beginning the process. Settled on the 2500HD with Ext. Cab because it will fit in my garage and still provide the towing capacity I will need. I've also looked at the Ford F250 (which will also fit) but the 2500 has more capacity. I Like the Dodge Cummins package but the truck is just too long. ... This month Chevrolet is offering 0% financing so I can use "GM's $'s" and leave my portfolio somewhat intact.
RGB HOC 1096

Cimriver

Our previous SOB fifth-wheel was a rear kitchen. The rear of the coach was active, but after a couple of trips and learning how to stow things the problem was solved. Virtually every owner of a rear kitchen model fifth-wheel that have posted about this question, both here and on that other big forum, report that they would not hesitate to buy a rear kitchen model again. IMO the shorter fifth-wheels with rear kitchens have much more function kitchen than the mid-kitchen models.

Boy I would sure go for the 3500 if you have closed that deal yet. It will give many more option now and in the future on what you can pull. Very little difference in price.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

TANDT: ... still in the "gathering info" and beginning the process. Settled on the 2500HD with Ext. Cab because it will fit in my garage and still provide the towing capacity I will need. I've also looked at the Ford F250 (which will also fit) but the 2500 has more capacity. I Like the Dodge Cummins package but the truck is just too long. ... This month Chevrolet is offering 0% financing so I can use "GM's $'s" and leave my portfolio somewhat intact.
RGB HOC 1096

Sorry for the delayed response. I am into slight overkill whenever it looks remotely beneficial. My advice is, get a 1 ton truck. You will be covered on any needs present, or future. (If you want to upsize to a bigger unit.)
We love our Bighorn. It is our 4th RV and by far our best yet. Good luck with your purchase.

AK92CQ

We just traded in a ultra lite 26 foot rear kitchen fiver. My Wife absolutely loved it! We had never had a problem with doors and drawers shaking loose and always packed everything tight so none of that stuff got shaken out of place either. The only problem we had was if someone was using the sofa bed you couldn't get to the kitchen or out of the rear door with out crawling over the bed. I really like my coffee in the morning!!! That's really the only issue we had.

TedS

thebraunds, sorry for the late reply. Our Bighorn kitchen counter is square ended at the stairs and the stairs run straight up along the street-side wall.