ATF: Bighorn - Telephone Connection

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We took delivery today of our 2012 Bighorn 3185RL, except for a couple of minor problems I have only one concern that no one could answer at our delaership. Where is the telephone connection? As advertised and personally observed at the Atlantic City, NJ RV show and one of our required ammenties was a telephone connection built into the unit. When looking into the UDC there was no tele jack, even the label refers to the position of the telephone receptacle, but there was none, inside or out. What happened?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
No phone connection on my 2011 BH3670
With everyone using cell phones and wireless internet, I guess they figured the majority just would not use it, so why charge everyone for it.
Park models may be a different story. JMHO.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Now that you mention it, I don't think mine has a phone connection, either. Been using it for two years and I don't recall seeing a phone jack inside the rig. Plus, our campground doesn't have phone hookup anyways. But cell phone works fine and they have Wi-Fi.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you have to change the phone number if you were plugged into a campground's phone service, every time you moved. And pay their rate, that being the rate they set, not the phone company.

murry135

We own property in PA and keep our camper there all year long there except when we are traveling. So we have a land line along with cable TV since we are there on a regular basis from April thru Oct. Its what we call our base camp.

JohnDar

We own property in PA and keep our camper there all year long there except when we are traveling. So we have a land line along with cable TV since we are there on a regular basis from April thru Oct. Its what we call our base camp.

Ah so. But, having just fished the cables for my rear Ground Control jacks through the underbelly and into the basement, it would not be extremely difficult to install a phone line hookup in your trailer on your own. Not exactly factory installed, but it would get you where you want to be.

Ours is in the UDC and its routed below the desk. Our 2011 3670RL was built in April 2010. Might be useful for a fax machine, but those are fading too!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Jim,

There is no telephone connection in the UDC of our coach either. It was of no concern to us so we didn't really care one way or the other.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I agree with Debbie. My cell phone doesn't require it and most of the parks that we've been in don't have a phone box at each site.

ChopperBill

We have one in our 3610. I ran into lots of folks that use the regular phone jack in our stay in AZ. However, we have never used it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
As an ex-phone tech, I can tell you this is a fairly simple fix. Except for massive quantities of data, or system features for business, land lines are quickly becoming dinosaurs. If you are using it only for voice, cell service is probably cheaper.
If you decide to add it, make sure you use a weatherproof connection at the side in the UDC. Here's a link to Hubble, who makes all kinds of marine type connectors for RV's. Then a weatherproof cord to your park source. The park SHOULD have a suitable weather resistant jack, or SNI at the space. A standard indoor jack,(as I have seen many times) sitting outside is a recipe for failure.
Land line dialtone is 48 volt dc. Most devices now are not even polarity sensitive.
http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/Marine/Default.aspx
Then you can fish from the UDC to a good location adjacent to your desired area. Use a standard type household jack,or jell-filled jack at that location. Trace

Last edited:

archbarb

We have a 2011 BC 3250TS. Have never used it and probably never will but we have a telephone connection in the UDC, under the television at the work area and behind the recliner at the rear of the coach.

Like most everyone else, we use cell phones and have never used the landlines at the campgrounds we've been to!!!!!

Archie

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our BH has one in the UCD. Forgot where the inside connector is...but I have seen it. We have never needed it. With WIFI, cell phones and DirectV. We are good to go. OH and BTW, when I'm camping I will not answer my cell phone. It would not be hard to install a LAN line. Just have to drop the underbelly and run a cable. JMHO

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Our 3400 has a phone jack in the UDC and in the entertainment area.

What they were used for and are still in some places, is when you are in a big campground or resort you can plug in a phone line in the shore power post. If your friend was in site 175 and has his phone line connected you could dial 175 and his phone would ring. Sorta like you do in a hotel.

Now that we have cell phones they are probably seldom used.

FWIW
BC

murry135

How involved is it to drop the underbelly to run telephone line? Does it have an effect on weatherproofing installed at time of construction or is it just screwed inplace with no weather proofing?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Bighorn 3585, which is a similar floor plan to your 3185. I ran an extra coax from the UDC to the entertainment area for the DVR. You can drop the belly material by just removing the screws. When you get to the entertainment area of the slide, you should be able to run your phone line inside one of the plastic wire looms that go into the slide. I had to remove the fireplace to get to the loom entry, but that was no big deal either. Yours may be different because your fireplace is on the right. Mine is on the left.
So if you look around and do a little planning you should be able to do the job and make it look like it came from the factory.
If you do it, come back and let us know how it went.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Duh! I so have a phone jack under the desk. I was out working on the rig yesterday and decided to actually look.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave stated what you need to do. You can fish the cable through pretty easy. You can driil a hole in the wall of the UCD, install a plate and drop the cable down to the bottom of the rig. Run the cable thru the frame rails and up thru the plastic wire cover into the entertainment center with the "slide" out. You should be able to fish the cable up thru the wall and install the other wall plate.

murry135

I appreciate all of your suggestions and help. It seems easy enough to do by myself so unless the factory/dealership won't correct it this is what I wil do.

Last edited: