Furnace questions in 2008 3670

LMG

We recently purchased a 2008 Bighorn 3670 RL. In the cavity where the vacuum, water pump and water lines are there is a 2" heat duct hanging loose not connected to anything. The cavity is also open to the outside through the underfloor. Is it suppose to be open and is the duct suppose to be hanging free? Also, the bedroom and bathroom heat vents are less then 2 feet apart causing the bath and bedroom to uncomfortably overheat. The thermostat is located right outside the bath and is satisfied before the living and kitchen area are heated. Is it OK to switch the 2" line to the bath and bedroom registers to cut air flow to the area? If not, can we plug the bath vent without stressing the furnace? Thank You

seabee

Yes we are having the same problem plus we are spending to much on LP we live in our 3670 RL and in Arizona its in the 40's at night and we are using an 80 lb tank every week and a half with the stat set at 72 deg part is the windows the alum frames draw heat&cold and double pane would only help some I would think Vinyl frames would be best.

Rickhansen

LMG,
In our 3670, I cut pieces of cardboard to fit into the bedroom and bathroom vents as a test and held them in place with duct tape. I've since cut a 2" wide slot in each to provide some airflow to each room. By restricting airflow the load on the fan is actually reduced. Due to the duct sizing most of the air simply gets pushed the other direction through the kitchen and living room vents. Trying to adapt the 2" duct to the register would be difficult. I plan to replace the registers with residential registers with adjustable dampers.

The heat exchanger is the part that you could possibly stress. Lack of airflow can overheat the heat exchanger and cause damage. There is a thermostat on the burner that will cycle the gas valve to maintain a maximum air temperature leaving the heat exchanger, and a high-limit switch that will shut the furnace completely down on an overheating condition.

Hope this helps.