BrakeSmart controller

Gary F

Decided to upgrade my brake controller to a BrakeSmart controller. http://www.brakesmart.net

Should have done this sometime ago but did not feel it was necessary towing a tag trailer. Now that i have the Big Horn shame on me if i don't get a controller that has better response then my $69.00 current controller.

Curious as to what others are utilizing

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
HI Gary,

Thanks for the call the other day. We'll have to get our Bighorns together for a reunion this summer. I am using a Prodigy brake controller. What a difference over the old cheapo controller I used to have. The proportional braking feature makes for smooth stops.

Phil

Attachments

• 2016-07-17 16.46.35.jpg
    2016-07-17 16.46.35.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 1

Rick and Michele

Fulltimer in 2007
You won't regret it. I've had the brakesmart controller for about a year now, and would never even consider towing with any other controller ever again. What a difference, you can't believe it until you use one.

BluegrassMan

Brake Controllers

Hi All:
I was wondering, is the brake smart a combination pendulam and timer ? I used to have one made like that 2 trailers ago. When I went to a triple axle 5ver, I had to give up that one because it wouldn't do six wheels. I have a Teconsha unit presently.

I liked the timer function because it was so smooth on exit ramps and red lights. NO squeals or jerks.

Rick and Michele

Fulltimer in 2007
Brake Smart ties tight into the master cylinder and operates based on the hydrolic presseure converting it to current. No pendulum that I am aware of. The operation is as smooth as you could ever wish for.

the brakesmart uses a pressure sensor in the brakeline. It reads pressure and tells the trailer brakes how hard you are pushing on the pedal. ABSOLUTLEY FLAWLESS. plug you truck it and it sends a test voltage to the trailer and now knows if it has 2 or 3 axles and if it has electric or hyd brakes. they're are not cheap but one should never go cheap where your familys safety is concerned. I have had mine for over a year and towed over 20,000 miles this season. wouldn't even consider towing with anything else. Barney

jaawalke

I am using a prodigy with my Bighorn and it works great.the one they put in with the trailer worked alright but not as smooth as the prodigy.

jpmorgan37

I tried to find Brake Smart on the web and it looks like the original manufacturer has sold out. I found a new website for it if anyone is interested. It is: http://www.brakesmart.biz/index.html I haven't used it but from all reports, it sounds interesting. Has anyone had any dealings with this new company?

Thanks, John

Last edited: