Does anyone have air springs on your truck?

jhardin

Do you deflate after you unhook your 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel? Do you have a DC air compressor to inflate or a built in compressor? What is the procedure you use as to hooking and unhooking your 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel (as far as air springs are concerned)? Thanks for your opinions!

Pizzaguy

I have the air springs and only dump the air out for a better ride if driving the truck empty. I have the on board compressor, so it is very easy for me to change pressure. I did not have the compressor and switch in the cab at first, but will not be without it as long as I have the air spring setup.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the wireless controller for the air bags and run 5 psi when not hauling. Usually 35 psi when towing the Landmark. If carrying anything in the bed I will only add air if it looks like I should and then only depends on how much I am hauling as to how much air. With the wireless remote controller I can change the air on the fly and also make one side have more than the other.

ncc1701e

I just finished intalling (yesterday) AirLift 5000 bags w/wireless on board compressor on our new truck. I have not pulled our trailer yet. I did have the same air bags on my previous truck. When not hauling the trailer I would always bleed the bags to "0" and usually ran something between 35 and 45 psi in the bags. On the other truck it was a purely manual thing as I did not have the on-board compressor. The wireless system is certainly neat thus far from the testing I've done. I do like to bleed the bags to "0" when not pulling. When setting up the trailer what I usually do is run the front jacks down until they touch the ground/pads and then bleed the air pressure off the bags to set the trailer in place.

jnbhobe

I just finished intalling (yesterday) AirLift 5000 bags w/wireless on board compressor on our new truck. I have not pulled our trailer yet. I did have the same air bags on my previous truck. When not hauling the trailer I would always bleed the bags to "0" and usually ran something between 35 and 45 psi in the bags. On the other truck it was a purely manual thing as I did not have the on-board compressor. The wireless system is certainly neat thus far from the testing I've done. I do like to bleed the bags to "0" when not pulling. When setting up the trailer what I usually do is run the front jacks down until they touch the ground/pads and then bleed the air pressure off the bags to set the trailer in place.

If you read the instructions on your air bags I think it will tell you to always run with at least 5# of air in them.

ncc1701e

If you read the instructions on your air bags I think it will tell you to always run with at least 5# of air in them.

The book does recommend a min and max operating pressure. The end decision is always up to the user.

57chevyconvt

I maintain a min. of 10 psi according to air bag manufactures recommendation when empty. I don't have the luxurgy the onboard compressor, therefore I use a hand pump to infate to 35 psi when hauling. Easy to inflate with a hand pump.

brianharrison

I don't have air springs but I have Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (not sure if that is what you were meaning). I am cheap so I do not have the onboard compressor and pressure indicator. I too deflate to 5 psi when not towing and inflate with an old bicycle hand pump I had laying around. A tire gauge is fine for measuring pressure in the air bag. I routed the fill/bleed connections to the back license plate.

The Ride Rites are installed on my truck in place of the bump stops between the frame and axle. The 5 psi prevents the air bag metal end supports from hitting each other and crushing/cutting the bag over bad bumps.

I load my trailer and add air to the air bags to raise the back of my truck so I am "just into" the overload springs on my F350 - I find this levels the truck nicely. This works out to be about 35 psi loaded in the air bag. I can pump this pressure quite easily with the bicycle pump (rated to 100 psi capacity for those old "skinny 10 speed tires" on my Raleigh bike - yes its old).

Hope this helps.

Brian

Lou_and_Bette

I have the AirLift automatic system under mine. When I apply load, the on-board compressor kits on until level is reestablished and shuts off. When load is removed, blows off pressure until level is reestablished once more. No instructions in my manual about min pressure...it decides (replaces DW in decion making in my life:eek:)

Lou

Gary521

I have the on board compressor and controller so I can inflate and deflate the pressure. Sure makes it a lot easier. I inflate the bags to about 50 psi when traveling with the 5th wheel attached and deflate when unattached just to get better ride comfort. I have tried all sorts of air pressure settings while traveling with the trailer attached and found my settings this way. The reason that I have air bags is that they make the whole setup ride better. It has nothing ( for me anyway ) to do with leveling. Chucking is greatly reduced with the bags inflated. I also have the 5th Airborne pin box. Before I had these, the ride was terrible. I have the AirLift bags, compressor and controller. When I bought them, the cheapest place was J.C. Whitney. Installing the bags was easy but the compressor and in-cab controller took a bit of time. The newer wireless system, which I do not have, would be a lot easier.
I do not deflate the bags before I unhook.

jimtoo

++++++++++++++++++++******************** No instructions in my manual about min pressure...it decides (replaces DW in decion making in my life:eek:)

Lou

Lou, please forward your DW's email and ph number to me...:).. I think I see a way to make a little extra cash in the above sentence. :) You didn't really type that,,, did you???

Jim M

Lou_and_Bette

Jim, you can email her but she would be the first to tell that I make all the decisions "as long as she approves first":eek:

Lou

Wmnmy

I have the Firestone 5000 heavy duty air bags and compressor and it's great I top off my truck tires and trailer tires with my own compressor the cord stretches to all four tires on my truck then I pull up on either side of the trailer soo much easier than tryn to pay for and use gas station air cheaper too

porthole

Retired
Do you deflate after you unhook your 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel? Do you have a DC air compressor to inflate or a built in compressor? What is the procedure you use as to hooking and unhooking your 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel (as far as air springs are concerned)? Thanks for your opinions!

With my previous truck I had air bags, on board compressor and the wireless controller.

Once I was ready to unhook the trailer I hit the dump setting and unhooked. The AirLift wireless kit kept 5 psi in the bags when unloaded.

Having the wireless controller worked great for when we were either leaving or backing into the driveway.
Because our driveway is steep I would keep the air out until we were heading down the street, then hit my preset. Coming home, a block away I would dump the air and be ready to back in once we got lined up.

CactusTwo

We have air bags on the duelly and 5th airborne on our Cyclone. I keep a portable air compressor in my basement storage and equipted it with a longer coiled hose to reach my tailgate and kingpin. It also services my truck and 5th tire needs as it is portable enough with a short extension cord. I fill 5th airborne to max pressure, hook up truck and add pressure to airbags as needed to level the combo out. Air compressor doubles as project past time while at parks with a woodshop