Window Insulation to Maintain Interior Tempature

DanDargay

DanDargay
We are the proud owner of a 2011 Big Country 3250TS. The unit has performed very well for us with the exception of cooling in the hot summer sun and keeping warm in the cold weather. The windows are large and offer great visibility to outdoors, but sure do let the heat in from the sun and the heat out from the furnace. I now know from factory tours, that there is no insulation under bedroom, all slides (except outside walls), front and rear. I neglected to order thermo pane windows because of added weight and now I'm looking for ways to control interior temp without second AC in bedroom.
Right now the AC runs all day in hot weather and only shuts down at night. I've done all the things in posts about redoing the duct work w/o any major results. Now I'm looking at putting something on the inside of the windows while still being able to see the great outdoors- insulation, solar vinyl treatment, roll up shades, etc.
The big question is: HAS ANYONE TRIED ANYTHING WITH GOOD RESULTS ?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dan, I have the dual pane windows but still added GILA Platinum film to the rear and entertainment slide windows in our rig. They are advertised to reduce heat by 77%. I don't think it will have any effect on heat loss overnight though. Awnings over the side windows helps on our main LR slide. This picture shows the difference after adding the film to the top. Not much in the way of loss of vision.

Attachments

• Window Film.jpg
    Window Film.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 95

DanDargay

DanDargay
Ray thanks for the reply - did your windows have any tint on them before you added the GILA ilm ? This oe of the films that I have been considering applying to my windows. Did you do it yourself and if so, was it very hard to do.

MC9

I applied the Gila Platinum to all the windows in our Sundance. In the rear, where the recliners sit in front of the picture windows, it was not possible to sit in the AZ sun. Now it is. nuff said.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray thanks for the reply - did your windows have any tint on them before you added the GILA film ? This one of the films that I have been considering applying to my windows. Did you do it yourself and if so, was it very hard to do.
The existing tint Factory Dual Panes) was pretty dark. Yes, I did it with the help of my wife. I removed all of the window trim and shades. The most difficult time was with the upper portion of the rear window. It's a big section. Key thing to remember is to use plenty of solution to keep the "film" movable so it's easier to get in place before trimming. After doing the rear, I began to precut the pieces as close as possible. I only screwed up one section by cutting it in reverse.

DanDargay

DanDargay
Looks like installing the GILA window film will help with cooling the interior of the coach. Maybe the AC will not be running all the time and I may get away with not having to install the second AC in the bedroom. Is this a correct assumption ?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I found a solar type screen at Lowes and put it on the outside. It comes in a kit and has snaps included that are stick on. We even travel with it in place. It really knocks out the heat and brightness and you can still see out but not in.DSC00245.JPGDSC00246.JPG

bobber

I took the window treatments down while I applied the shrinkable storm windows. It works great for us. Can tell a difference in the summer and winter. You don't even know it is there when it is shrunk with the blow dryer.

DanDargay

DanDargay
I think I may have seen this type material before an a rig from Alaska. Never got to talk with the owner though. I lkked at the Lwes website and could not find any sollar screen. Do you know what it was called exactly ?

Brandon.Prewitt

We are not anywhere scenic so the wife put a bubble wrap that has foil inside and out. With the tinted windows you can't see it from outside. It really helped. We added the front AC when we bought it and I don't see how we could do without it. With the front AC the duct from the kitchen forward were blocked off to make the livingroom and kitchen cooler. Now the AC cycles instead of blowing wide open all day.

Ray LeTourneau

I think I may have seen this type material before an a rig from Alaska. Never got to talk with the owner though. I looked at the Lowes website and could not find any solar screen. Do you know what it was called exactly ?
I know about the screen Jim Gratz has installed and I don't think Lowes carries it any more. Home D had the same thing. I'm sure they're still available somewhere but some searching will need to be done.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I cannot remember the name of the screen right off the top of my head and the box is at home and we are on the road. Next time home I will try to remember to look at it.