Do I need air bags

Huston

Hi everyone just had a Question on my new 5th wheel camper I have a 2500hd duramax the hitch weight of the camper says 2165 lb on my Sundance 3300ck. Do you think I should put air bags in my truck never had a camper this big a little overwhelming. Thanks for everyones help on my threads. Adam

branson4020

Icantre Member
After you've pulled you're new Sundance a few times, you can decide if you need airbags to level your truck. Remember, they do nothing to change the weight-carrying capacity of your truck.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You must be near or over the max. payload for your truck.
Does the rear of your truck squat like a dog dragging it's butt on the carpet. Are your headlights aiming toward the stars. Air bags sure improve the stance and handling under heavy payloads like towing a 5er. Relatively small investment for the benefits IMO.

TeJay

It's been stated. The air bags don't increase your trucks capacity but it gives you the option to level your rig if needed. We went to Maine last Summer and I bought 150 board feet of maple lumber and put it in the bed of my truck. With a little air the load was leveled. I did the same thing 2 years ago but didn't have the air bags.
TeJay

gebills

Hi Huston:
Although I have a little bit of margin left before hitting my weight limit on our 3500 Dodge with our 5'er hitched up, I installed air bags on our TV soley to level the truck out while towing. My decision to install the air bags had nothing to do with weight limits. The decision was made to try to reduce the number of oncoming cars flashing their lights at me while pulling our RV during darkness.

Additionally, a close friend recently bought a new F-350 Ford having the same problem when his pickup camper was loaded. His weight limits were fine, but his headlights were blinding oncoming traffic. This was easily cured with his installing a set of air bags. I would suggest you consider the position at which your truck sets at with the pin weight laden on the truck hitch. Happy travels, gebills.

Rrloren

I installed them on mine to help with chucking. My Sundance 2900MK would drop the bed 2" plus.
The bags level me with 20-25 lbs. and the chucking is gone. They were worth it to me.

jtwhites85

While I don’t really want to say I know my pin weight is over the load capacity I read about the Timbrens and bought a set. 10 minutes to replace factory stops and the truck surprised me. Did not squat at all and never really noticed the additional 200# on the pin. Now I am running a SRW 2500 and not a DRW 3500. When we get ready to pull more often we will upgrade the truck.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Its not really a matter of needing them. The air bags will let you level your truck with the load. It will ride a lot better, handle better, and the suspension and drivelene of your tuck will work as designed with the proper angles.