What replacement tires are you guys using?

dbbls59

I have a BC 3450TS with the infamous Tow Max ST tires. There are about 5 threads right now regarding tire failures. My trailer weighs 6100 pounds on the front axle, 5400 on the rear, 5520 on the right side, and 5920 on the left. The load range E ST tires have a capacity of about 3500 pounds but LT tires, load range E only have a rated capacity of about 3000 pounds. I am afraid that I would be overloaded on at least one tire, and near the maximum load on another if I went to LT tires. Those of you going to LT tires, have you weighed your trailers?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I had my Bighorn I used the Michelin XPS ribs, an E rated tire and never had a failure. AFAIC, they are the best of the E's!

jnbhobe

If you can fit a 265-75-16 in for width the diameter is the same and the load is 3415lbs ea.

scottyb

XPS Ribs here, 235/85 R16. They are 1.2" larger in diameter, but fit a 6" wheel. The problem with the 245's and 265's is they require a wider wheel (6.5"+). Most of us have 6" wheels on our rigs. If I'm was going to change wheels, I would go to a 17.5" on everything.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
235/80R16 Maxxis 8008 ST is rated for 3420lbs. E rated, max speed 65mph. This was our choice, but our rig weighs less than yours. We've been very happy with them putting 12K miles on them this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We have GY 614 on our 3450TS. I would definitely like to find a quality tire for less money but having had blow-outs in a previous rig, I am a little gun shy concerning tires. The Maxxis is a great tire but I have over 11,000 lbs on my axles. Four Maxxis would be rated at 10,680 I believe...although that might be OK, I personally needed a little more margin!

Be sure to weigh your 3450TS after you have it awhile...ours increased in weight over two years to have nearly 1000lbs more on the axles! DW loaded everything but the kitchen sink...which we already had:)

Best Wishes!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have a BC 3450TS with the infamous Tow Max ST tires. There are about 5 threads right now regarding tire failures. My trailer weighs 6100 pounds on the front axle, 5400 on the rear, 5520 on the right side, and 5920 on the left. The load range E ST tires have a capacity of about 3500 pounds but LT tires, load range E only have a rated capacity of about 3000 pounds. I am afraid that I would be overloaded on at least one tire, and near the maximum load on another if I went to LT tires. Those of you going to LT tires, have you weighed your trailers?

Be safe. With those axle weights I would definitely move up to a quality G rated tire provided your oem wheels are stamped for 100psi+.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We run the Goodyear 614. Have had them on for about 15,000 miles and they still look new. I know I have heavier tires than needed but not had any blow outs.
You do need to have accurate weights and then adjust tire pressure per manufacture guidelines.

GOTTOYS

I changed to B.F.Goodrich Commercial TAs when it was almost new. 13,000+ trouble free miles later they were recalled. I now have Michelin XPS Ribs load range E. Tires are one of the last things I feel I need to worry about..Don

GOTTOYS

I see that Discount Tire is now carrying a new Carlisle Tire with an F rating. The load rating is 3960 at 90 psi. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/ti...bmitProductSize.do?r=AZTINT|pc|85743&pc=10397

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/tires43
MAYBE they're okay..but to me it's like Yugo coming out with a new car saying "It's all better now". I wouldn't be interested in taking a chance. I hope they are a good product because something like this is certainly needed...Don

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

The rating of LT vs ST are totally different. ST are for exactly what is stamped on the tire. But this is not true for a LT tire. ST are for trailers, never to be on the road with a person in it. LT are for hauling people. LT have a safety factor. If a Lt was rated the same way a ST was it would carry alot higher WEight rating then what is stamped on the tire. I don't know what the safety margin is but a Lt 3500 lb tire is a heck of a lot stronger then a St 3500lb tire.

Now you can't tell a cop that you have a LT tire so it's ok if am over the tire weight ratings. That won't fly, but it will give you some piece of mind that a LT tire is stronger then a ST at the same rating.