Rounded transition from side to roof

rick_debbie_gallant

The metal piece that transitions from the roof to the side of my rig appears to have come loose. It appears that it may be some sort of an aluminum material the runs down the entire top of the rig and on both side. I can push on the roof edge and it will "click" and bottom out on the wood roof deck and there appears to be fasteners that are "popping" up. Any thoughts on this?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rick,

There is a trim piece that holds the rubber roof down along the edge of the rig.

That will have to be removed and the rubber laid back in order to re-secure that metal bullnose edge you are speaking of.

Then the the rubber reattached, trim reinstalled (with screws) and caulked.

Got a first hand look when I tore my roof along that piece a few months ago.

It really wasn't rocket science when I saw how they did it.

The bullnose is only stapled and the rubber is reattached with a epdm friendly spray adhesive.

Ultimately the roof rubber edge is held in place by the screw down trim piece and caulked. Trace

Last edited:

Eddhuy

Is that metal piece on the outside or under the rubber? I've seen a roof being built and there was aluminum flashing on the rounded part but it went under the rubber roof covering and over a wood covering.

wdk450

The flashing is UNDER the rubber membrane (from another guy who saw it firsthand during a roof repair).

rick_debbie_gallant

Yup, it is under the rubber roof. I would almost be more inclined to put that metal trim down with a good dose of sealant under neath the trim before it got glued down. What ya all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guyc66

Yup, it is under the rubber roof. I would almost be more inclined to put that metal trim down with a good dose of sealant under neath the trim before it got glued down. What ya all think?

I had this same problem with my last SOB fifthwheel. You could actually feel the staples underneath the rubber roof membrane. My plan was to remove the edge trim, roll back the roof membrane, and replace all the staples with screws before gluing the membrane back down. However, I traded my SOB when I purchased the HL Grand Canyon so I never got around to making it happen. The issue never caused my roof to leak and was that way for most of the 11 years we owned it.......I just never liked the way it looked. I had hoped Heartland would have used screws to secure that edge transition but I guess not after reading this thread. Oh well, assuming mine does this I will get another opportunity to try my fix unless someone convinces me why using screws is not a good idea. Good luck with your fix!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Guy,
I agree screws would be better.
They would have to be a very low profile oval head type screw.
Otherwise, you might run the risk of having the screw head poke back through the rubber. JMHO. Trace

rick_debbie_gallant

Still thinking about a piece of trim running the length of the rig on each side. Kind of like the way the front and rear cap are transitioned.