Bias ply or Radial tires ??

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Need to pick the brains of other trailerites. We are going to replace our tires on our trailer. One is cracked, so no sense waiting for the others to follow suit!

We have been reading how much better Radial's are than Ply tires, we are pretty sure we will get Radial ST trailer tires.

But I'd appreciate any input from you good folks.

TeJay

Radials, radials, radials. I can't believe they still make bias belted tires. Some will say that the bias tire is needed for utility trailers because they are stronger/tougher. I don't believe that's true but it may be. Some/many trailers still come with bias belted tires and I don't have a clue why except they might be cheaper. Because of the radial design they roll with less internal friction therefore lower heat and longer life and better fuel economy. Why wouldn't you want that. It is said that TT tires have to slip and slide more when corning because the wheels are fixed. The sidewalls have to be stronger to withstand those forces. That's probably true but radials allow more sidewall flexing because of the design which should negate some of that idea. Check out the 18-wheelers. Try to find one that does not have radials. That's got to be tough service and most of their axles are fixed. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. Tire manufacturers also know what trailer tires need and can and do design radials for TT's.

TeJay

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Like night and day. Our TT came with bias and they were garbage (yes Chinese made) we got the manufacturer to replace them (same Chinese brand) with radials and they are working out great. By the way, the radials were probably about twice as heavy as the bias (same size). Good luck!

Marge

Thank you fellow North Trailers :) We have already decided, since a couple hours ago, after much reading that yes of course radials are the only way to go.

Now we just have to figure out which brand to get.

Marge

We stopped by our local tire shop, it's been run by the same local family for decades and decades, the owner said he can get Maxxis tires for us.

I've been doing loads of reading the last few days and except for one lone person, I haven't read anything bad about Maxxis tires, quite the contrary.

TeJay

If I'm not mistaken during another discussion about tires it was mentioned that Maxxis tires are made by Goodyear.

TeJay

Marge

If I'm not mistaken during another discussion about tires it was mentioned that Maxxis tires are made by Goodyear.

TeJay
Here is what I found out.

http://www.maxxis.com/About-Maxxis.aspx

Known and trusted by billions of customers around the world, Maxxis offers high-quality tire products for cars and light trucks, bicycles, motorcycles, ATVs, trailers, karts, and lawn and garden care.

Maxxis was founded in Taiwan in 1967, and is today one of the largest and most respected tire companies in the world. Operating in Asia, Europe, North America and South America, Maxxis distributes its products in approximately 170 countries and employs more than 22,000 people.
Creating and retaining lifelong customers has been instrumental in Maxxis’ steady growth. Customers trust Maxxis tires during every stage of their lives, from those first childhood bike rides through changing careers, modes of transportation, and interests – and they know that Maxxis will be there when the time comes for their own children to choose tires.

Welcome to Maxxis.

Marge

Jeez, my last post sounds like I'm selling the tires. LOL

We had new Maxxis radials put on our trailer Saturday, we are so happy! Now we can travel a little safer we hope. Glen said he didn't notice much difference, but then again he only had to tow the trailer 4 miles home.