ATF: Landmark - noisy roof?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We recently traded a 2008 Bighorn for 2013 Landmark Key Largo...absolutely LOVE this unit, but one thing bothers us...why when it's raining is the roof of this Landmark SOOOO much noisier? It actually takes us back to our pop up days...used to say it sounds like live crabs in a steam pot.

We know the construction is quite different, but is it that much thinner than our old roof? Can be really annoying when trying to sleep...

jbeletti

Kathy,

Kary may know more about this, but here's my take...

I believe your '08 BH did not have the laminated roof system and of course your LM does. The lamination process layers the materials with glue between the layers and then a vacuum is drawn on it to pull the layers together and ensure good dispersion of the glue and good adhesion of same.

As such, you end up with this unitized block that is extremely rigid.So, that and "maybe" the TPO versus EPDM roof combine to allow rain and other debris to resonate through that system a bit more.

I had a travel trailer of another brand with a laminated roof system that was plastic or fiberglass on the outside - now THAT was really loud.

Jim

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Thanks Jim...that sounds reasonable...sure wish we could quiet it down some though...sometimes it's louder than the a/c or heat pump running.:(