black tank cleaner

soilmovers

I did not see this info in the archives.

Steve Kennel @ Heartland suggested using Pine-Sol to clean the black tank.
After dumping/rinsing, I add about 32 oz of Pine-Sol and water. This was done before we moved to the next location.
This is a good disinfectant and the sensor appears to be more accurate.

Sam's Club sells a huge bottle, maybe about gallon, for less than $9.

thought I'd pass this along,
Cindy

Cindy, What are the portions of Pine-Sol to water? Sounds like a good way to keep the tank cleaner and the indicators operational.Jim

soilmovers

oppositelock said:
Cindy, What are the portions of Pine-Sol to water? Sounds like a good way to keep the tank cleaner and the indicators operational.Jim

Jim-
Actually, Steve said to use about 1/2 of the 48 ounce bottle to about 5 gallons of water.
The first time I did this, I used the whole bottle. The pine oil must help keep the sides slick, too, and cheaper than most products.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I suppose that would also help the valves being lubed and operating easier. If you add it to all tanks and then dump it when you get where you're going, it might help add a nice fragrance to the unit. Proctor and Gamble might start advertising it as anothre use for their product. :rolleyes:

nscaler2

pine-sol

Be carefull withj pinesol. I think that I read somewhere that it would attack the rubber gasket that seals around the ball in the toilet, thereby letting the water in the bowl of the toilet seep out leaving no seal to keep the sweet smells from coming up

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Pine sol

As suggested on previous threads I have been using Calgone and it really breaks down the solids. I like the idea of a freshner. Keep us posted!
Regards
Wayne

soilmovers

wfwilson said:
As suggested on previous threads I have been using Calgone and it really breaks down the solids. I like the idea of a freshner. Keep us posted!
Regards
Wayne

Hey Wayne-
I used the Geo method- Calgon, dish soap and Rid-X. I tried multiple methods as we have had problems dumping the black tank since day one.
A few calls to the dealer and Heartland revealed the (drilled out) plastic disk may be blocking the black tank drain. Until I can get it looked at, I have to try different ways to get the tank to dump completely. It has been a struggle.
Does anyone know how the internal sprayer/cleaner works? What does it look like?
Cindy

jbeletti

Cindy,

If you have the San-T-Flush model, it is made by Swan Industries. Here's a link to the flushing system page.

Here's an image of what I "think" the jet head looks like:
PJETHEAD.jpg

soilmovers

Jim Beletti said:
Cindy,

If you have the San-T-Flush model, it is made by Swan Industries. Here's a link to the flushing system page.

Here's an image of what I "think" the jet head looks like:
PJETHEAD.jpg

thanks, Jim.
I wondered how this sprayer worked and what it looked like.
It does not sound as if it is working. I need to research it and maybe give Swan a call.
thanks again for the information.
Cindy

jbeletti

Cindy,

I Believe it's just plain old water pressure through the jet that sprays the interior. I don't think it rotates while spraying and I don't think there are any moving parts to it. In my opinion, I'd rather have more jets to ensure a good internal rinsing. I am not sure if more can be added to a tank without access to the inside of the tank or not but it's a great question for Swan if you call them.

Let us know as that could be an really useful user-mod.

Thanks,

Jim

HappyKayakers

I don't think the San-T-Flush actually rinses anything off the walls/sensors. I use mine to refill the black tank quickly after dumping. I'm always amazed at how much more 'stuff' comes out (as seen through the clear elbow). Yes, we always let the tank get full before dumping.

soilmovers

ChopperBill said:
This stuff Happy Camper will clean the tank and fix you sensors. Works Great!

I took your advice and ordered this product. It arrived yesterday and I'm anxious to try it when we get back to the job site.
Thanks for the link.
cindy