Crack in fiberglass wall

pokypa

Washed my new 2014 Big Horn today for the first time. Just had it little over a month and now the fiberglass side wall on the street side has a 6 inch crack in it. It is right in the upper corner where the rear opening for the slide out goes. Extends from the edge of the slide out opening to the roof gutter. I know it is under warranty but this has really set me back. We have taken one trip and have had to replace the fireplace and the central vac. The frig does cool properly and the cabinet the the bath is falling off the wall.
the furnace vents are laying all over the battery charger/converter and water pump. I could fill a page with the problems that is poor workmanship and product. I have been rving for over 20 years and have never seen such poor workmanship as I have in this unit. What do I do? This crack will take some major body work to fix and then could crack again.
You pros on the Heartland please tell me what do I do. I'm just at a lost because this thing is falling apart.

wrgrs50s

I would take "Close up" pictures and contact Heartland, talk to a rep and forward the pics to make sure your rig gets the proper attention. If your dealer inspects it and finds there is a frame issue, which sounds possible, it may have to go back to the factory for an even further inspection and repair. My concern would be that the focus be on the cause of the crack, not just a quick " we'll patch it and repaint it".

If it has to be sent back to the factory, Heartland will pay for the transport to and from while in the warranty period. They did on mine anyway.

I've had my fair share of issues with my Sundance, so I know how it feels to have a new rig with problems.

Good luck, and I hope they get you some satisfaction soon!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Cracks where the slide comes in could also be indicative of the slide being adjusted wrong making it come in too tight causing too much stress on the sidewall. You would be best to have it looked at by a Heartland dealer. But also take photos of it so you can let Heartland Customer Service know also. Ditto on above post.

pokypa

Who is a good contact person at Heartland Customer Service to talk to. I have called several times for other issues and they ask what state I'm in and get a rep that sounds like he !!!! If you know what I mean. I just what to get to the right person to handle this problem.

wrgrs50s

Who is a good contact person at Heartland Customer Service to talk to. I have called several times for other issues and they ask what state I'm in and get a rep that sounds like he !!!! If you know what I mean. I just what to get to the right person to handle this problem.

Eric McDaniels handled the repairs on my unit, which turned out to be quite extensive. The ph# I was using to reach him is 877-262-8032 X1119
Of course he will need your vin #, and have your photo's ready to e-mail.

jmgratz

Do you have a number for Jim Fenner at Customer Service

Call the main customer service number and ask for him. Sometimes you need to leave a message for him. Also he will ask for you to email him a photo and the last 6 of your vin so have it handy.

pokypa

I called Heartland and spoke to Jamie Justis and emailed him pictures. He advised me to take it to my dealer today if I could. Just got back from McGeorge RV in Ashland, Va. They said it looks like a stress crack and might have to go back to the factory. So I have put the ball in their court, and they know what I want is a new unit. That's what I paid for.

pokypa

Unit has been at the dealer now going on 3rd week. I have talked with Heartland 3 times and talked with dealer 4 times.
So far nothing has been decided or repaired. I'm really disappointed in Heartland's service at this point. This unit is one month old with less than 800 miles. - one trip. Talk with the sales manager at dealer and he was looking in to replace the unit. That has been 9 days ago and he won't even return my call. This looks like it's going to be a long process. I don't think I'm asking to much for this unit to be replaced or bought back. I've been rving for over 20 years and have never had this type of problem with the manufacturer of RVs. I don't mean to bore you but this has really taken it's toll on my wife and me. If anyone can give me direction on this please chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrgrs50s

Unit has been at the dealer now going on 3rd week. I have talked with Heartland 3 times and talked with dealer 4 times.
So far nothing has been decided or repaired. I'm really disappointed in Heartland's service at this point. This unit is one month old with less than 800 miles. - one trip. Talk with the sales manager at dealer and he was looking in to replace the unit. That has been 9 days ago and he won't even return my call. This looks like it's going to be a long process. I don't think I'm asking to much for this unit to be replaced or bought back. I've been rving for over 20 years and have never had this type of problem with the manufacturer of RVs. I don't mean to bore you but this has really taken it's toll on my wife and me. If anyone can give me direction on this please chime in.

I sure hope someone from Heartland will see this post and understand your situation and get you some relief. I just cant figure out why in the RV world it takes so long to get answers, much less action. I can see a couple of days to communicate through the proper channels. Come on Heartland, make this right and impress us all!

Keep us posted

Last edited by a moderator:

pokypa

Another day passes and my unit still sets. This is my first Heartland product in 20 years of rving. I think it will be my last.
Very very very disappointed.

danemayer

I called Heartland and spoke to Jamie Justis and emailed him pictures. He advised me to take it to my dealer today if I could. Just got back from McGeorge RV in Ashland, Va. They said it looks like a stress crack and might have to go back to the factory. So I have put the ball in their court, and they know what I want is a new unit. That's what I paid for.
Roger,

I'm sorry you're having this problem. If I'm reading your posts correctly, you first spoke with Jamie Justis 2 weeks ago and asked for the RV to be replaced. I'd expect Heartland would investigate the problem pretty thoroughly before making a decision to do what you've asked. On the other hand, if they were going to reject your request out of hand, it wouldn't take very long to do so.

As many of us know from personal experience, communications between dealer personnel and factory personnel can proceed at a slow pace for lots of reasons. People on either end take vacation, get sick, are out of the office for RV shows, etc.

Also, if your rig has some kind of structural defect, the investigation could involve a third party; perhaps the frame manufacturer. Just as an example, if a defect in the frame was the cause of the damage, Heartland and Lippert would probably be jointly deciding how to proceed. Three-way investigations will take even longer.

All this to say that while you're frustrated that it's taking longer than you want to find out what Heartland is going to do, you shouldn't interpret that to mean that no one cares or that they're not going to resolve the problem for you. I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of the issue, determine the cause, and take appropriate action to get you back on the road.

pokypa

I understand what you are saying, and pray you are correct. When you are on my side of the fence and you are told that a decision will be made on a certain day and no phone call. When you are told by the head man at the dealership that he was going to bat for you and he really never got into the game, no phone call no nothing. Heartland needs to step up to the plate and replace this unit for me and my wife and then cut this unit open and get with whoever else. I know things happen but this unit was one month old and the sidewall cracked open. I think what I ask for is the right thing to do, and 99% of the people on the forum if in my place would ask the same.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Roger I feel for you. Hopefully you get an answer soon. Just a side note, there is not a "lemon" on RV's. Im sure HL will come up with a good solution.

jmgratz

Roger I feel for you. Hopefully you get an answer soon. Just a side note, there is not a "lemon" on RV's. Im sure HL will come up with a good solution.

The Lemon laws vary from state to state. But before you even think that way I would wait for Heartland to make it right. Believe me they can work wonders on fixing broken (cracked) frames and fiberglass. (don't ask how we know). They have a great staff of technicians at the factory who can tear apart a coach, repair the broken frame and put it back together so you would never know. (guess they should be called the Humpty Dumpty squad)

sengli

We too have a 3260 that is just out of warranty. We have had no real issues's so far. I am sorry to hear you got this issue to deal with. This couldn't be a supplier issue. Heartland makes their own laminated walls, roofs, and floors right there next to the assembly point. So if the wall is bad and cracked they dont have to consult with anyone else. I cant even imagine how they could repair something like this, the right way. I am talking about a wall replacement, not doing body work on the fiberglass outer skin. And if they decided to replace the defective wall, how well would it go back together after this major surgery?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This couldn't be a supplier issue. Heartland makes their own laminated walls, roofs, and floors right there next to the assembly point. So if the wall is bad and cracked they dont have to consult with anyone else.
Well, if there was a problem with the frame that allowed a bunch of flex, it could crack the wall.
That being the case, Lippert would be the supplier and the one to consult for repair.
I have seen this happen in the past.

Peace
Dave

pokypa

Who is at fault is not the problem. Heartland needs to take care of this broken unit. I had a phone call from Jamie Justin Tuesday and he said that he would call me yesterday with Heartland's decision on what they are going to do. I received no call yesterday and as I write this no call today. This is not right and I'm not happy. They at first wanted to let the dealer cut open the side to see if they could find the problem. I said no way, this unit needs to go back to the factory to be repaired. They can't even make a decision to carry it back to the factory. Something is very very wrong here.