Towmax Tire Question

Lndeatr

We'll I should have been more on the ball about junking the Towmax tires on my 2013 Cyclone. We are on a trip from Northern Ca to San Angelo Tx and 30 miles west of Van Horn on I10 (middle of nowhere) had a blow out. Lost some sheet metal and killed the rim. Of course there was no cell service and I was there for almost 2 hours and no law enforcement came by. Was able to unwrap the tread from the axel with an hours elbow grease and a come along and put on the spare. Bent the sheet metal out of the way and secured it. Now I am in a KOA in Van Horn hoping to get a tire and a rim tomorrow. If I can I want to get all 5 new tires.

i saw on the forum somewhere a number to call for Towmax tire claims. Also there was info on what tires are recommended. Any help please? Martin (530) 681-7529.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

If you replace all the tires, keep the old ones and also keep the one that failed. They will want it back if you file a claim.

Thenomads

Sorry to hear about your tire problems. We have been there unfortunately, on hiway 99 south of Fresno in between towns, of course. $2500 damage to the rig. We researched on Heartlands forum, Montana's forum and any other forum we could find to gather information on a good tire. Our accountant (LOL!) suggested the Bridgestone Duravis. We got a good deal at Americas Tire Store also known as Discount Tire outside of California. I understand Michelin makes a good tire as well. Replacing all tires is a good idea, it turns out 2 of our other blow max tires also were failing. Good luck and safe travels.

Dean-Pam

We have a 2012 Sundance 2900MK with the Towmax tires and are looking to take a trip out west next year. My question is, have any of the mid-profile 5ers had issues with the Towmax? I set the cruise at 63, have TPMS on all the wheels, as well as have the Firestone Ride Rite on the truck. It seems all the posts I have been seeing about blowouts have been the bigger rigs. Thanks everyone!

danemayer

We have a 2012 Sundance 2900MK with the Towmax tires and are looking to take a trip out west next year. My question is, have any of the mid-profile 5ers had issues with the Towmax? I set the cruise at 63, have TPMS on all the wheels, as well as have the Firestone Ride Rite on the truck. It seems all the posts I have been seeing about blowouts have been the bigger rigs. Thanks everyone!
Hi Dean-Pam,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll get some answers shortly.

One thing I'd mention is that Tomax tires are rated for a maximum speed of 65mph. Some tire experts recommend treating the maximum speed as a kind of red line, above which you'll cause damage to the tire. As you drive, the tire's belts flex, generating heat. The tire is designed to dissipate that heat, but when you exceed the rated speed, it can't dissipate all the heat, and temperature climbs. Any damage is permanent and cumulative. Keeping in mind that tow vehicle speedometers are sometimes off by a few mph, you could actually be right at the red line, or even over. If you've ever cruised at 70mph for a trip segment, you may have some hidden damage already.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dean-Pam,

From what I've seen personally and read, it seems it doesn't matter how careful you think you are with your driving habits or air pressures, these TowMax tires have a tendency to fail unexpectedly. I want to say there's been at least one post of a Sundance with a TowMax failure. I know someone with a TT with TowMax has had a failure as well. We have an ElkRidge, which is lighter than the bighorns and toy haulers, and we too had at least 2 tires deemed defective, in the first year of ownership.

If it were me, I would change them before a big trip. Losing a tire and then losing faith in the remaining tires, and having to alter your trip to take care of it, is no way to spend a vacation.

Since your rig is lighter, you may have other options. We went with Maxxis 8008, ST tires. Others recommend LT tires. You probably don't need to go to the Goodyear G614s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
OK, so understand that tow max tires are rated for no more than 65mph when towing. So most are towing over that rated 65mph. As you can see I live in the state of Calif where the MAX speed when towing is 55mph. With that being the case if I was to keep the Tow Max tires on my new Silverado, check cold PSI before, during travels I should have a less of a chance of blow outs.
I have been kicking around weather or not to pay over $2000 for 5 new tires or stay with what comes on the trailer. When I tow I keep at or below that posted speed. I'm retired and not in a hurry to get where I'm going.

pegmikef

In addition to what Dan said, wieght apparently is not the final determining factor nor is speed when it comes to blowMax tires. My North Trail TT weighed just a little over 8K loaded and I normally tow 58 to 60 mph and only go over 60 when neccessary to go around something and then only momentarily. I faithfully monitored the tire pressure. I had one tire fail because of bubbles and tire separation and a blowout with a second one (didn't learn my lesson with the first one because the others looked so good). Rather than mess with them, I just ordered g614s for my BH when I bought it and had replaced all the tires on the NT with E rated tires from Discount Tire (don't remember the brand).

iawoody2

On our Sundance, after much research, I went with BFGoodrich Commercial TA tires. They are a LT tire rated to 99mph. These were highly recommended by a friend that has had for quite some time.

Dean-Pam

Thanks to all for the replies...speed isn't an issue with me (I have found doing 63 keeps things in place in the camper), but I have been concerned with all the posts about tire failures with the TowMax...now to figure out the correct replacement tire. I did have a "bubble" on one of the tires when I returned the unit to the dealer after one month for warranty work, but was told this was from an impact and not defective workmanship...I just assumed it happened from the hauler delivering the unit to the dealership and bit the bullet and purchased a like TowMax tire. The dealer sells Maxxis, but I don't know anything about this brand. Again, thank you to everyone.

GOTTOYS

OK, so understand that tow max tires are rated for no more than 65mph when towing. So most are towing over that rated 65mph. As you can see I live in the state of Calif where the MAX speed when towing is 55mph. With that being the case if I was to keep the Tow Max tires on my new Silverado, check cold PSI before, during travels I should have a less of a chance of blow outs.
I have been kicking around weather or not to pay over $2000 for 5 new tires or stay with what comes on the trailer. When I tow I keep at or below that posted speed. I'm retired and not in a hurry to get where I'm going.
A good set of tires won't cost anywhere near that....Some Tow Max tires have been known to blow out while hanging on the spare tire rack having never even been used. Do a lot of reading on this subject and make an informed decision..Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maxxis is a good brand, if you decide to go the ST route. They Are known more for making off road tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk