Different kind of tires

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Been looking for new tires and have found the load rate of tires can be different.

Example.....Tow Max is 3520lbs per tire

Goodyear Marathons are 3420lbs

Michelin XPS are 3042lbs

So does it make a difference what I use on my trailer?

Need some help here please......

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well, the 'Towmax' tires have been labeled 'BlowMax' . . .

If you have them, you may want to read all of the topic threads about them here in the forum.

I will be replacing mine this year before the camping season starts.

Far too many horror stories to trust them.

It is a shame that most trailer manufacturers use them on their products . . . :confused:

Funny that in the Heartland brochures they claim to "not skimp on the tires!"

Kbvols

BigJim45'

You ask a great question. In short I will say yes. When I bought my rig I would have never thought to replace the tires however after reading all the posts about blowouts I decided to replace them. I did run them for a year and about 3000 miles and had no issues. Since replacing though I have a little better piece of mind. You will quickly learn there are a lot of opinions regarding tires. ST vs LT's, G's, H's' 17.5's on and on. I did a lot of research considering how often I tow my unit, how much I wanted to spend and ultimately and probably most important the loaded weight of my fiver. Whatever you decide I recommend buying a good tire gauge as well as a good pump you can keep in your rig as well as Tire Pressure Monitors. At the end of the day I went with Maxxis as I felt they best met my needs for my type of travel, weight and $ I wanted to spend. Good luck with your quest!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with the previous poster, Maxxis have been a pretty good alternative for the money. If you have a local tire dealler that you have dealt with before and trust, ask his recommendation as well.
I've had the Goodyear G614's previously for 5 years with no issues until a double failure last spring. Because we are trying to sell the trailer, we replaced them with Hercules tires. I've never heard any negative reports on them yet. They also have an available LR"F" at 3900 pounds and a max psi of 95.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I guess what I'm asking is........does it matter what the load lbs per tire are. Like I wrote in my first post the BlowMax is 3520 per tire and most of the others that I have looked at online are rated less??
So does it matter that much if I go with something less rated on load??

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I guess what I'm asking is........does it matter what the load lbs per tire are. Like I wrote in my first post the BlowMax is 3520 per tire and most of the others that I have looked at online are rated less??
So does it matter that much if I go with something less rated on load??

It certainly does matter. If you weigh your right at a scale that only gives you axle weight your weight might me okay. Example: You have a 6000 lbs axle and you weight is 5500. But if you weigh each wheel you might be over weight. Example: tire capacity=3200 left tire 3500, right tire is 2000. As you can see you are over weight on the left tire and risk tire failure. This is why it is important to get an accurate weight of each tire. This also helps to let you know where you need to move things to balance your load.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
With tires, your main concern is the load rating (pounds) and number of plys in the sidewall. Never go under what the OEM tire ratings are. If your coach has a GVW of 14K, you need tires that are rated for at least 12K for the 4. If you dont, be prepaired to be replacing tires and parts on the side of your rig.