Pro's and Con's of changing Roof Vent covers and AC covers to BLACK

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We have a 2013 Key Largo which when produced had white vent covers and white AC covers installed at factory. I now see that the 2014's are coming through with black covers for both vents and AC's. We like the look of the Black covers for the Fantastic Fan's and AC units as it contrast nicely with the tan colored roof and our full Chocolate body paint. My question to our fellow heartland owners is does the BLACK covers hold more heat generated by the sun and will that affect the AC units. So, in a nut shell, what is most widely recommended for efficiency and less stress on the units function?:confused:

jnbhobe

Jim, white reflects more heat away than black but if you got money to spend make it look the way you want it to.

murry135

Jon,

Black is the way we want to go but I don't want to stress the AC motors or their cool effect so thats why I am betwixt and between.

rjr6150

Jim
From my old days of HVAC difference between a light color and darker color would range anywhere from 90-115 degrees higher. One thing we had to consider when determing heat and cooling load.

murry135

Wow, thats a big spread resulting in more work for AC's. As I think about your info Randy I am assuming that is surface temp of the black shroud, correct?

tboy

I took my white air and vent covers off, I than lightly sanded them and masked the tops of all the covers. I sprayed the sides and up 1 inch on the top black, took the masked tops off and the tops of all the covers stayed white to reflect the sun. Before I put the ac covers back on I put reflective bubble foil inside of the ac coves with spray contact adhesive, they look and work great, no problem with the Florida heat.

dbbls59

You also want to consider the light inside the trailer. Black covers over the vent will not allow any light inside.

porthole

Retired
Hey Jimbo - go for it! Only reason my vent covers are not the dark smoke color is they were not avaible when I bought them.

AC covers? How much of difference would it really make after the unit is on for a minute or two?
I was going to suggest looking around for the AC covers, best deal I got on mine when it cracked was $105, delivered, from camping world through Amazon.

'Was' going to suggest that - until reading tboy's post. Get some plastic rattle can spray paint and do the same, you'll never see the top except for when you are washing the rig.

Last edited:

murry135

Thanks to all that responded. The DW and I are going with changing out the vent covers with the new Fantastic Fan with the smoke colored ones and I am going to paint the AC shrouds. Duane and Tom, I was planning on painting them not buying them if we made the color change move. Thanks for your help off to CW to order parts for spring projects.

Theresau

Our BC came with black AC covers. We put in black Fantastic Fan cover and smoke colored bathroom fan cover. Work great. Glad we went with the smoke color for the bath. We bought the Camping World cover for the bath - less expensive and looks good.

murry135

Duane,

I have ladder experience was a ladder man on our truck, 100ft stick loved it. I was the Christmas Decoration guy so I respect ladders and their proper use. Oh yeah there was that one time when I, well never mind. (bounced)