Extended range fuel tank

NewCyclone

Has anybody put a larger fuel tank on there tow rig yet. I am thinking about putting a replacement tank in place of the stock tank to increase my capacity to 50 gallons. I get tired stopping every 150-200 miles when pulling my 5th wheel.

I am just curious what type to go with and how hard/easy it is to install. I am thinking more about the kind that replaces the stock tank rather than the in bed type since I do tow a 5th wheel.

creeper

I put an in the bed tank, under roll top tank from Auxtank.com.

I did this for a few reasons.

1. Adding just a replacement tank gave me 52 gallons, with the in bed I end up with over 61 gallons. This gives me better range.

2. If I buy another truck I can just remove it and I don't have to store a stock tank if I went the route of replacing the stock tank.

3. If I want to add more capacity I can always add a replacement for the stock tank, upping my capacity to 83 gallons.

4. It fit under my roll top, which was always wasted space.

5. A 52 gallon replacement tank will give you errors on your instrument panel as it's calibrated for a stock tank.

6. I was able to hook it up to one of my stock uplifter switches and it has it's own sending unit. No errors and gives me how much is in the aux tank. I just flip the switch while driving down the road.

NewCyclone

I put an in the bed tank, under roll top tank from Auxtank.com.

I did this for a few reasons.

1. Adding just a replacement tank gave me 52 gallons, with the in bed I end up with over 61 gallons. This gives me better range.

2. If I buy another truck I can just remove it and I don't have to store a stock tank if I went the route of replacing the stock tank.

3. If I want to add more capacity I can always add a replacement for the stock tank, upping my capacity to 83 gallons.

4. It fit under my roll top, which was always wasted space.

5. A 52 gallon replacement tank will give you errors on your instrument panel as it's calibrated for a stock tank.

6. I was able to hook it up to one of my stock uplifter switches and it has it's own sending unit. No errors and gives me how much is in the aux tank. I just flip the switch while driving down the road.

I appreciate the input and will look into that as an option. The Titan fuel tanks that I have been looking at states that it uses the stock sending unit and hoses. Would that through codes on my instrument panel?

russell

I went with a transfer flow tank / toolbox combo. Installation took a few hours, and went very well. It adds 50 gallons capacity and has a computer controlled transfer pump that gradually adds fuel to your main tank as needed. There is a digital readout to mount on your dashboard to inform you of your fuel status. This setup gives me 88 gallon capacity.
The system has performed flawlessly and I would definately recommend it to anyone.

davebennington

I put a RDS tank purchased from Northern tool. It is a 60 gallon with a tool box. I put a cutoff switch and a fuel pump to transfer from the aux tank to the main tank, it is plumbed in by cutting the rubber hose that is used for the vent or over flow. It gives us a 96 gallon total fuel on board. So far it has worked out very well.

Dave

Uncle Rog

I replaced my stock tank with a 48 gal unit from Aero Enterprises, good install, they will not sell the GMC tank not installed. It is in the same position as the OEM, it is just longer and is made of steel. The gauge does not budge for the first 120 miles or so and it reads pretty accurately at 1/2. When the alarm sounds there is still 8-10 gals left.......................

Pulltab

I added an additional toolbox/fueltank combo with 52 gallon capacity. Tubed it into the regular tank and gives me upwards of 800-1000 miles towing. :):) So that way I don't have to worry about fueling in stations with rig attached!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
American Tank & Tool Box.. Frisco TX

I had a 45 gal combo fuel tank installed in the bed of my F250 from American Tank. http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/home.asp

It has a float installed and connects to the OEM Gas Gage and a Switch on the dash changes tanks.

The gauge of the fuel in the Aux Tank is a little off but can be adjusted. I decided not to make the adjustment. It tells me I am low on fuel when I actually have about 10-15 gallons remaining in the tank.

These are very good easy to work with people. If I trade vehicles they will help me remove it and install it in the new tank. I had them do the installation but if you have it shipped to you they give you very clear instructions and help by a phone call.

Hope this helps.
BC

NewCyclone

I went with a transfer flow tank / toolbox combo. Installation took a few hours, and went very well. It adds 50 gallons capacity and has a computer controlled transfer pump that gradually adds fuel to your main tank as needed. There is a digital readout to mount on your dashboard to inform you of your fuel status. This setup gives me 88 gallon capacity.
The system has performed flawlessly and I would definately recommend it to anyone.

Russel,

What type/brand did you order? I found this and sounds like what you have.

http://www.fuelbox.net

Has anybody heard anything about them not being DOT approved or 50 state legal?

Fordsd250

Have a F250 short bed crew cab and got the 33 gal toolbox/tank combo from RDS out of Florida. It has 33 gal along with my trucks 29 gal that gets me plenty.:)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Roger, did I understand that you tank is steel? I know for a fact that the plastic tanks split at the seams. Good info though. Bob :D:D:eek:

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Added a 51 gallon fuel tank and with my OEM 38 gallon tank I get over 1,000 miles solo and I should get 700 to 800 towing. It makes it nice to stop for fuel when you want. I use gasbuddy.com along my route to get the cheapest prices I can.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here's the tank/box I was thinking of installing in the dually. It's compatible with my Fold-a-cover tonneau and being able to fuel my tractor with the optional pump & nozzle kit sure would beat hauling those 5 gallon cans!

39 gallon capacity plus the dually's stock 38 gallons is enough when I factor in the extra weight. Now if & when DW agrees to the 450 Super Dude then we'll have to think about "el upgrade-o"! :D

Niles

This is what we did, simple and works for us, put a L shaped tank in the bed of truck with a 12v pump on it. With the Bighorn I really don't have to worry about hitting the pump when turning. With the farm tank and the stock tank on the truck we have 136 gal of fuel on board. I don't have to worry about getting into tight fuel stops and fuel when I want. We always have to stop somewhere for a potty break and I just stick the hose into the fill on the truck and in five minutes we're full and really to go, if wife's back from the potty!!

theharveys

I also have a Transfer Flow fuel tank system on our 2000 F550. With the extra tank, I can carry 75 gallons of diesel. The system was on the truck when I bought it, and I have had the truck for over three years. I had to get the sending unit wiring fixed once, but otherwise it has worked flawlessly.
One thing to consider about extra fuel onboard...it adds significant weight to your TV (both the extra tank and the fuel inside it) thereby theoretically reducing the amount of weight you can tow.

NewCyclone

I am fairly new to diesels and one thing I am hearing everywhere is the concern of diesel gelling in cold weather.

If you mount a metal tank in the bed of your truck, won't it act like a ice box and cause the fuel to gell even faster?

Do the trucks have fuel heaters to keep the OEM tanks from getting to cold?

theharveys

Supposedly, fuel companies put additives in diesel fuel to keep it from gelling in temperatures down to about -20 to -30F. However, Ive read that gelling can occur if the fuel sits in the tank at 5 to 10 degrees for an extended period of time, (especially with Biodiesel, the more "Bio" the greater the gelling), and can clog the fuel filter
However, I always make sure when fuelling the truck that I put diesel in both tanks. The Transfer Flow system actually pumps fuel from the secondary tank to the main tank automatically so fuel does not just sit in the secondary tank for an extended period of time.
If I did not have the transfer flow system, I would make sure I used the fuel in the secondary tank on a regular basis. I would not let it sit in the tank for an extended period of time as it would tend to collect water (another issue with diesel fuel) which is actually a worse problem for your diesel engine. Water in the fuel gets into the cylinders and, under the high compression diesel engines operate at, forms tiny steam bubbles which can actually pit the cylinder walls.
However, I believe most diesel pickups made also have water collection systems to prevent that from happening.
All in all, most any diesel truck you buy can normally be run on a day to day basis without much more regard that you would pay to a gas engine truck.

Uncle Rog

I went with the mid-size tank in order to reduce weight and still get some extended range.
We store around 100 gals of diesel / gas on the compound as part of the "earthquake" kit. We use fuel stabilizer and store in the sceptre mil spec plastic jerry cans, the plastic reduces most condensation issues.
I rotate the stk at least every 12-15 months.
The Chukar hunting would have to be pretty dang bueno for us to hang around any where fuel gelling was an issue!

cliffhanger

I went the Transfer-Flow route also. 50 gallon aux plus 30 gal stock means I don't have to stop but every 600-800 miles!