Which Tow Vehicle

shepherds56

I hope this does not start anything but..we are going to buy a new 1 ton, srw 4x4 truck in the very near future. I know everyone has their personal preferences, I respect that, BUT we really are undecided and are having a REAL hard time with this. We will be buying a 3600RL, using it as snow birds in 1-2 years, will need a truck that we can tow, and use sort of everyday. Can anyone either by this posting or through private mail let us know their likes and dislikes. This will be used for mtns. and freeway travel. We like the Megacab...F350 Lairat, and heard alot about the GMC 3500HD.

Delaine and Lindy

shepherds56, I haven't owned a SRW except in the 2500HD. We ordered the BH 3600RL. And we have a 2008 Chevy 3500 DRW, LTZ. I'm not 100% but I think the 3500 SRW only comes in a Long bed, which is good larger fuel tank and you want have to have a slider hitch. However I understand with the BH you don't have to have a slider hitch with the patented front cap. I don't think any of the Big 3 will have a problem.

We only drive the GM Trucks, and the biggest reason is the Duramax/Allison and because its a proven combo. Were some of the other brands have made several changes for 2008. I will tell that most people will like what they have, and that includes me. I recomend you drive all three if possible in the same day. There is a ride difference, but they all have a lot of bells and whistles. You probably already know you don't find a lot of 3500 SRW's on dealership lots. You might get lucky and find one but more than likely you will have to order, and thats 6 to 8 weeks. Good Luck with your decision and hope to see that big rig in Branson in June. GBY....

rjr6150

Don't want to start the old debate but we have the F350 in our signature and love it. Not the best milage but pulls and handles very nicely. Wife even like to drive it solo

creeper

Towing a 3600 you will be over the GVWR of the GM 3500 unless it's a dually. The only SRW truck you won't be over the GVWR is the F350.

Like you I need the truck for everyday things. I tried SO HARD to buy a GMC, but with the weight of the 3400RL I was over the GVWR by a lot.

I was forced and I mean forced to buy the Ford. After 2 lemons I was done with Ford, but I'm not prepared to gamble and tow over the GVWR.

Also the 3500 only comes in a Long bed. We wanted a crew cab. Again, the only choice is the Ford. A 3500 crew cab, long bed is REALLY LONG.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Shep, all 3 are good trucks. I just happen to like my Chevy. We have had it 3 years and the only time it is in the shop is for oil changes. Bob

creeper

Thanks for the quick replies, any comments/thoughts on the 3500 Mega Cab SRW?
You guys have been a real help..Ric

GVWR of 10,100lbs. You're curb weight will be about 7800lbs. Start throwing in stuff and you'll move past that 10,100lbs pretty quickly. You're unit is pretty darn heavy, watch your weights.

There are posts here that say a 3400RL of past years , actual pin weights when loaded are 2700lbs or more.You're unit is heavier.

7800 + 2700= 10,700...

If you don't mind towing overloaded , then the dodge is just as good as any of the others. They each are working out their own little issues right now.

Just a note: Many people banter back and forth about GVWR vs Axle weights. My concern on exceeding the GVWR is about warranty issues and liability issues.

With the 11,400 GVWR of the F350 I'm going to be close to the limit.

BluegrassMan

In this case size does matter, you never hear a guy saying "I have too much truck", I've heard and said, "my truch is not heavy duty enough". Buy as big as you can afford, not matter what brand. I'm partial to the King Ranchers myself, GM and Dodge doesn't have one in that level. Just my opinion.