Paint on front cap

papaslimo

Is anyone having paint fade on the front cap. I have a 2012 Greystone and the paint on the top half has added bad It looks light purple in stead of Gray.

danemayer

Hi papaslimo,

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Take some pictures showing the problem. Most all 2012 units have been out of warranty for several years, but it's worth a phone call to see if Heartland is willing to help you out.

GOTTOYS

Is anyone having paint fade on the front cap. I have a 2012 Greystone and the paint on the top half has added bad It looks light purple in stead of Gray.
There is no paint on the front cap, it's colored gel-coat. Most of the gray end caps from all of the manufacturers are doing this, not just Heartland. The only real cure is to have it painted and replace the decals. I had mine painted and now the rear molded cap is going bad. Not what I think should be happening to a 2011 model trailer...Check with heartland ans see if they will help out. They were participating on many of them that were close to being in warranty or were still covered by the warranty...Good luck, Don

We have a 2011 Greystone 32RL and the front cap fades badly. We live in Michigan, so cause is not from to much sunlight. I keep trying to keep looking nice with orbital polisher, but only lasts for little while. Very frustring situtation on something you want to be proud of. Me thinks, there needs to be a company RECALL for all owners to be made whole !!!

Grey Ghost

I have a 2011 Greystone 29mk and just love it. We had a similar problems with the front end cap fading and looking REALLY BAD so I called Heartland and they gave me some money to assist with the painting of the front end cap, which I thought was GREAT because the unit at that time was about two years old. I brag about Heartland service any chance I get, they were GREAT!:cool:

bowhunt73

Yep. Same problem here also. Unbelievable. I store mine indoors during the winter and mine looks terrible. I'm a 2011 so I'm probably out of luck by now.

Randall

GOTTOYS

Had my front cap painted, now the rear is doing it. I've gotten quotes from $800.00 to $1500.00 to paint the rear cap. Wish I had the room to paint it indoors. I could spray it for about $300.00 in materials. Moral of story; If you are getting the front painted and plan to keep it awhile, get the rear cap done too as it won't be long and it will look the same. Might be cheaper that way. Trying to decide whether to have it painted it or trade for a new one only if it has PAINTED caps not gel-coat...Don

TxCowboy

I just spoke with the Heartland warranty office about this issue on my 2011 Greystone 32RL. Aside from the fact that it makes the RV look like ****, I expressed concern about whether this degradation of the gel-coat could become a safety issue at highway speeds. I also asked if there was some remedy to prevent further degradation of the nose cap.

Per this agent, "degradation of the gel-coat nose cap is an acceptable condition to Heartland and is not covered by the Heartland warranty."

So, folk, there you have it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GOTTOYS

I just spoke with the Heartland warranty office about this issue on my 2011 Greystone 32RL. Aside from the fact that it makes the RV look like ****, I expressed concern about whether this degradation of the gel-coat could become a safety issue at highway speeds. I also asked if there was some remedy to prevent further degradation of the nose cap.

Per this agent, "degradation of the gel-coat nose cap is an acceptable condition to Heartland and is not covered by the Heartland warranty."

So, folk, there you have it.
Heartland is not the only manufacturer to have this problem. The gel coat is fading and turning dull, it is not getting weaker and this will not affect the structural integrity in any way. Jayco and Forest River are having the same problem. Jayco has switched to painted front caps on their 2015 Eagle Premier products, Forest River is just starting to deal with the colored caps on the Beige colored Cedar Creek trailers. What any of them are doing for prior customers is unknown. Any number of older RVs have experienced this same thing, it's just that they are white and it is not so noticeable. They just get dull, there is no color to fade. At some point they have to quit honoring the warranty. I have to pay for painting the rear cap on my RV as it is now fading. If mine had been white instead of gray I would leave it alone...I'm not happy about paying for it, but life goes on. It doesn't make me think any less of Heartland. They are not treating this any differently than any other company. Mine is a 2011 model that I bought in 2010. I've owned it for 4 years, I can't expect it to look new forever....JMHO, Don

Birchwood

Being from NS its certainly not a UV issue but then again is the RV setting out in the cold all winter... Question.

MSGTLB

I just found this thread and like everyone else with a 2011 Greystone, my front cap looks like c*ap. I was just told that there is nothing that they can do about it even after I mentioned how many pages are all over the internet when you google this situation. It seems obvious from the information that I've seen that there is a problem that has nothing to do with maintenance. I spent way more money than I originally planned, to get what I thought was a long-term trailer. It still works fine, but looks terrible after only 4 years. While I've read that other manufacturers may have similar problems, I am disappointed at the handling of what is obviously a widespread problem.