2008 F350 V10, 2009 Big Country 3355RL

548bhd

Just took delivery of a 2009 BC 3355RL. I was not sure how our 08 F350 V10 would handle the weight. The hitch load is not an issue with the F350 (11,000# GVW Package with single rear wheels). The V10 did a very nice job! With the 4:10 rear end and the Torqshift tranny it was easy to get the load moving and keep it moving at freeway speeds. No gear searching or anything like that. While in tow at 60 mph the truck computer indicated an average of about 8.2 mpg. About what I expected.

With diesel fuel so much higher and the initial cost of the diesel truck so much higher also, I am satisfied with the V10. It is definitely not a diesel when it comes to torque, but it moves the BC nicely around 60 to 65 MPH, which is fast enough for me.

truknutt

Committed Member
548bhd,

That's great that you're satisfied with your ride! It's rare to hear that someone is happy with their 6.8L for 5er towing. Most nowdays seem to be of the "TIM TAYLOR the TOOLMAN" attitude, "MORE POWER, OH OH OH OH OH OH!" I know I am! :D

I have a 2001 6.8L but with the 3.73s and Auto BT (before Torqshift)...DOG with a full profile 5er! Even in Tow/Haul mode she searched constantly between 3rd & 2nd. Our old 5er only grossed out at 10K. Going up through the Poconos one year, the exhaust got so hot it melted part of my spare tire! :eek: She's great with the open car trailer, though.

Hope you enjoy your new outfit.

548bhd

Thanks Truknutt. I had a 1999 F350 V10, when the new super duty body style first came out. I remember being disappointed with the towing and was hesitant to come back to the V10. My research showed that Ford made some good changes with 3 valves per cylinder and the torque coming on much quicker at lower rpm's. I have found this to be true. Coupled with the 5 speed torqshift, it seems to be fine. Thanks.

vrugt

For the F350 specs look at http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/features/specs/
The 2008 F350 SRW 4x2 super cab with 4.1 axle ratio has a GVWR of 21000lb and can handle a max. 5th wheel trailer weight of 14700lb. The GVWR for the 3355RL is 14000lb so you should be alright.

However, I think they mean a GCWR of 21000lb. The F350 has a GVWR of 10000lb. and a payload of about 4000lb
So you must realize that for all extra cargo above the dry curb weight you give up some trailer weight capacity.
For example your hitch, passenger, dogs, bed liner, tonneau etc. all count as cargo. Let's assume that adds up to 600lb

The total of dry curb weight, cargo, trailer pin weight should be less than the GVWR of the F350 or 10000lb.
So your corrected payload is now about 3400lb. This is available for the pin weight .

On average 20% of the trailer weight should be on the pin. That would allow for a trailer weight of 5x3400=17000lb. but the GCWR of 21000lb cannot be exceeded and with 17000-3400+10000= 23600lb you are over it.
You can do some trial and error calculations or use a set of equations. However all you want to know in your case is if your truck can handle your 5th wheel.

The GVWR of your 3355RL is 14000.
The max. pin weight is 20% or 2800lb. It's less than 3400 lb: no problem. The GVW of your tF350 will now be 6600+2800=9400lb still under its GVWR.
The total weight of your F350 and the 5th wheel is 6600+14000=20600lb. just under the GCWR of 21000lb!
Your match between truck and trailer is fine.

However, don't put too much extra stuff in your truck bed!

548bhd

Thanks for the weight analysis.

My F350 has a GVWR of #11,000 according to the sticker on the doorjam. As stated, the GCWR is #21,000 for my engine/axle combo.

The 3355RL came with a dry weight of #10,940 and I have verified that weight on a scale. The dry pin weight is advertised at #2,000 (have not verified). My truck was weighed with the hitch in the bed and a full tank of gas (and me) yesterday and came in at #7,500.

10,940 + 7,500 = #18,440.

21,000 - 18,440 = #2560 allowable cargo for both truck and trailer.

Full tank of water 75 gals = #622 , which leaves almost a ton for clothes, food, people, dogs, cats, etc. Rarely travel with a full tank of water. Should be OK.

I have a close college friend who works for GM in Detroit. He had told me over and over that all of the major manufacturers know people are going to push and exceed the limits of the GVWR and GCWR on these heavy duty trucks. As a result, they are about 10% conservative on what they can really handle safely. Perhaps my powertrain/axle combo is really safe at #21,000 X 1.1 = #23,100. Although it might not be the cool thing to do, I would not hesitate to be on the upper end of my GCWR and even exceed it by a few hundred pounds if needed.

What is amazing to me is that it seems if you want a 5th wheel that starts to push over about 30 feet these days you need a really big truck to handle it. If money were no object, I'd have the new F450, etc.

vrugt

Watch it, your wife will have that RV (over) loaded in no time! This is not a sexist remark but experience talking!

Because of these heavy 5th Wheels I ordered my F350 with a 4.30 axle ratio, raising the GCWR to 23000 Lb. allowing me to pull the 3600RL within the law. An F450 would be nice but I rather spend the extra money on the RV instead.
By the way I still get between 8.5 and 9.5 mpg while towing at speeds between 55 and 65 mph. So with the way the diesel prices are going, plus the smell and noise not to forget the extra 7-8000 bucks I think I am doing fine.

Before the FW we did have a motorhome based on an F350 Super Duty frame and engine. We took it all over Canada and Alaska without fear of overheating because of a rock in the radiator etc. (it's sometimes a 100 miles to the nearest garage!) We really fell in love with that engine.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Super_Duty
(I don't know why Ford doesn't advertise this at all. however the dealer confirmed it )

Ford's "Fail-Safe Cooling System" is unique. This system is designed to protect the engine due to loss of coolant (since these engines can not overheat for being 'overworked'). If the engine overheats, it will automatically switch from 8/10 cylinder (depending on V8 or V10 engine) operation to alternating 4/5 cylinder (depending on V8 or V10 engine) operation. Because there is now 50% less hot combustion, the engine will operate cooler. The vehicle will continue to operate, but with very limited engine power. The now so-called 'dead' cylinders also act like an air pump to cool the engine down even more. This system allows the driver to travel a short distance to obtain service or to reach a repair facility. The distance that can be traveled depends upon vehicle load, outside temperature, and current road conditions.

548bhd

Thanks again. Fortunately my wife is realistic about packing and I am probably more guilty of packing too much stuff than she is! :)

Nice info from Wikipedia on the Super Duty trucks. I have long believed that Ford builds a heavier duty truck than GM or Dodge. I am not trying to flare up GM or Dodge owners but I have owned a few of each and found that Ford is just heavier built in almost every way. The Truth About Trucks videos on Ford's website are very interesting in this regard.

I am glad that Ford went to the transmission temp gauge in the new SD also. I would rather keep track of tranny temp than voltage anyday. I am in agreement with the gas versus diesel as you stated. I would never argue that gas is better for towing than diesel, it just depends on how fast you want to go. So far the V10 seems to not be working at all around 60 to 65 mph which is fine for me.

Bottom line, we just need the weather to improve a bit in our part of the country and we can't wait to get out with our new BC.