caulking turning to dust after 18 months

mslater

started to wash my 18 month old Big Horn today when i noticed all the caulking on the sidewalls is drying out and turning to dust and cracking ….this is happening all around , the rig has not moved so part of it has been in the shade……looks like a major job to cut it out and re caulk….what do i use , silicon ?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
started to wash my 18 month old Big Horn today when i noticed all the caulking on the sidewalls is drying out and turning to dust and cracking ….this is happening all around , the rig has not moved so part of it has been in the shade……looks like a major job to cut it out and re caulk….what do i use , silicon ?

The vertical trim caulking can usually be easily removed with a plastic paint scraper, or a thin, steel one that you've rounded the corners off. Then use a microfiber cloth to remove the residual. Dicor makes a non self-leveling caulk and there are other brands at most RV parts stores. I like using one I found at a RV dealer called BOSS Products 378, RV Mobile Home Silicone. The caulk along those areas does need to be checked and maintained periodically.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Caulking is a maintenance item, and should be inspected every 3 months. It deteriorates due to "weather" and "uv". If we neglect it, water will get in and cause damage, so it's best to be vigilant about it. I use the tool mentioned above, doing my best without killing myself to get rid of anything that's not hanging on good. Then I use Sikaflex 505-UV caulk.

MTPockets

My owners manual Maintenance Schedule, says roof sealant, door, window, vent, external seams, shower area, are among things requiring maintenance every three months.

olcoon

The Dicor self leveling caulk is supposed to be used only on the rubber roof. If you use on the sides, it will run down & not stick on the sides.