Newbie Question: I'm reading about folks replacing their vent fans with high-powered fans. Why?

Ranchdip

:confused: This probably sounds like a stupid question but why would one need a high-powered vent fan in their RV? Other than bathroom odors and venting trapped heat while storing during hot summer months I'm at a loss why you would want these high-powered ventilation fans. I'm reading about fans that will go in reverse, some that are variable speed, etc. If you are running your AC in 95 deg weather why run a high-powered vent fan? In the winter or summer why run your fan in reverse unless you are just wanting to blow cool fall or spring like weather into your RV? Is it to keep from running your AC or furnace? Are you guys opening a window when you run the vent fans to cycle air through? I'm not sure I fully understand the true benefits of upgraded vent fans. LOL I'm really green as you can tell. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

DocFather

Bad cooking habits, maybe? Perpetual body gas in every room? Moisture? fyi - there are no stupid questions. But there are some questions that get asked on a cyclical timetable. (on every Forum)

Lynn1130

I have remote controlled Fantastic Fans in three locations in the trailer. They work for everything from bringing in cooler outside air, removing cooking odors, and covering outside noise when your are trying to sleep. It is not necessary to run them at high levels all of the time, hence the variable speed control but I would not be without any of them, in-fact I added the one in the bedroom in place of the single speed crank open that was there just because it moves air in or out depending upon the need. This one is especially important when the shower is being used to help remove moisture and bring in cooler air when the wife is using the hair dryer.

Ranchdip

I'm in Southeast Texas and there's only a few weeks out of the year I would ever bring outside air in to be honest. It's either in the 40's or in the 90's. Rarely is it in between. However, those are great points. We actually carry a box fan with us to mask outside noises while sleeping. I guess a few of those high-powered fans could serve the same purpose for us. So far the small stock fan has served us fine for odors and moisture in the bathroom.

Last edited:

Lynn1130

Understand and since we live in the heat most of the places we go to get out of it are cooler and thus the option of bring some of that air inside when possible. When it is 110 here it is 75 in the pines a couple of hours away.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Replacing the OEM fart fans with Heng Vortex fans is a three-fold win. First, they move more air, second, they are quieter, third, they don't interfere with the TV reception like the cheapo's do. Oh yeah, there's a fourth. You can remove the screen from it and clean it. With the OEM ones, you have to discombobulate the thing or get on the roof to clean it off.

Since we don't normally have 95 degree days in northern Michigan, opening windows and running the fans eliminates having to run the AC unless it does get hot and humid. And with covers on them, we can move air in the rain. The only really high power one is the Fantastic Fan, and it ventilates the larger area of the rig.

'Lil Guy'

Why would you want to upgrade to a high powered vent fan? There are several reasons.

a. To keep up with the Jones. They have it so I need it.
b. The dreaded curse of having to buy every new gadget that comes out.
c. Then there is the Drone feature. With enough of these things you could hover your rig around the park and look for the perfect landing spot.
d. They might be beneficial in airing out your rig once in a while with the windows open.

I fall into the dreaded "d" bunch. I don't have one of the super vent fans but I did add 3 of the Maxxair II vent covers. They are cheap and let you use your vent fans in the rain. You can even open your vents while traveling. To me, this is what needs to be upgraded, not the fan itself. And, they are simple to install.

Just my 2 cents.

DocFather

Why would you want to upgrade to a high powered vent fan? There are several reasons.

a. To keep up with the Jones. They have it so I need it.
b. The dreaded curse of having to buy every new gadget that comes out.
c. Then there is the Drone feature. With enough of these things you could hover your rig around the park and look for the perfect landing spot.
d. They might be beneficial in airing out your rig once in a while with the windows open.

I fall into the dreaded "d" bunch. I don't have one of the super vent fans but I did add 3 of the Maxxair II vent covers. They are cheap and let you use your vent fans in the rain. You can even open your vents while traveling. To me, this is what needs to be upgraded, not the fan itself. And, they are simple to install.

Just my 2 cents.

I like C.

Ranchdip

LOL Yeah, it's so easy for me to get caught up in A & B. I think I'll add the Vortex fan in the bathroom and the Maxxair II vents on the outside and call it a day. Thanks for all the great responses. ;-)

Last edited:

Lynn1130

I don't know if they changed the MaxAir vent covers but I had one on my other trailer. It is nice to be able to run the fan if it is raining outside but it did reduce the airflow by a pretty large amount.

sengli

We installed the vortex unit in the bathroom, to help get the excess moisture out after, and during showering mostly. Its alot quieter than the full powered super fan at the other end of our coach.

B

BouseBill

Another reason not mentioned: The el cheapo fan in the bathroom had the on off switch and opening lever up in the fan. The boss lady is "height challenged", meaning she is less than 5' tall. There is no way in **** she could reach the controls much less open the fan lid without standing on the throne. If you're gonna replace a piece of junk anyway at least replace it with something that can move air;)

Crumgater

"... just wanting to blow cool fall or spring like weather into your RV"...
^^This.

We go camping where there is beautiful fresh air at just the right temperature - even in the summer time (Oregon coast anyone??). We WANT that air in the RV!

Also, for warmer days, when it cools off nicely at night, you can turn off the A/C, open a few windows and pull in nice fresh cool air in as you exhaust the stale hot air out the roof... all with less electricity usage and less noise.

Ranchdip

"... just wanting to blow cool fall or spring like weather into your RV"...
^^This.

We go camping where there is beautiful fresh air at just the right temperature - even in the summer time (Oregon coast anyone??). We WANT that air in the RV!

Also, for warmer days, when it cools off nicely at night, you can turn off the A/C, open a few windows and pull in nice fresh cool air in as you exhaust the stale hot air out the roof... all with less electricity usage and less noise.

That must be wonderful. Around the gulf coast you would be lucky to have 10 days like that a year. I can only dream. LOL