Chevy 2500 HD to tow 3160 EL

skoz1

Can I comfortably tow a Bighorn 3160 Elite with a Chevy 2500HD with 6.0 L engine?
I know GVRW is 15500 but dry weight is 12,000 something.
Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to know the tow capacities of your truck. What year is it?
A new 2500 will have a higher tow rating than a 10 year old.
And you have that gasser working against you, it will be very thirsty.

Peace
Dave

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
You need to look at your trucks payload weight....I was going to upgrade my North Trail to a Sundance XLT and my 2500 Ram Diesel would be over the weight for my rear end " payload". Your Chevy may have a different payload as I take a hit with a mega cab, 6 sp manual and short bed. Good luck.....

skoz1

It is a 2015. Also has the 4.11 rear end. We weren't thinking about a 5th wheel until after we bought the truck.

justafordguy

A little more info about the truck will help. Is it 4x2 or 4x4, crew cab or extended or single cab, short bed or long bed?

kowAlski631

We have pulled our 3670 over the Rockies in our 2012 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax with Allison transmission with no issues. Of course, ours is a diesel. You might be able to pull it, but you'd be more comfortable with a diesel.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would not do it. Your owners manual will give all the specs as to towing. The 6.0 is a good engine for pulling a boat...a 15500K 5er is a different story. Over time you will probably kill the engine and trans and your fuel mileage will suck...5-6 MPG towing. The $6K upgrade for the Duramax/Allison combo will over time pay you back for the money spent. I get 11.8 average fuel mileage towing and that is double what you will get. IMHO, a 15500K trailer needs a 1tn and at least a SRW for safe towing. BTW, all the specs change greatly with the D/A combo over the gas engine.