Inverter to run the Olevia TV Issues

dtvista

I have been trying to set up an inverter to run my Olevia TV. Each time I turn the TV on the inverter shuts off as a protection to too much wattage to the inverter. When I plug the TV into the inverter the power comes on the TV, but when I turn the TV on the inverter shuts down.

I have used three different inverter, They run other TVs. I have used up to a 650 Watt inverter.

I have tested the 12V connection, and there is no drop when the TV power is turned on.

I called Olevia Support, and even went up to Level 2. They have no clue, and would only say it takes 130 watts to run, They do not have any idea of the startup watts it might take. They also said it is only made to run with 110.. So you know they have no idea.

Has anyone had luck with an inverter run from our house batteries. I have used a Honda 2000 Gen with no proiblems, but am trying to get an inverter to work off my batteries.

Dave

Forrest Fetherolf

You might connect the inverter directly (close) to the RV batteries and connect tv or run extension cord from inverter to tv to test......if it works the 12v wiring between inverter and 12v outlet is undersized............if it doesn't work the inverter is to small for the tv startup power draw.

Forrest

dtvista

Inverter issue

Thanks Forrest

I tried that. I can't believe that the startup is over the 650 watts inverted I used, and the company says its only 130

Shadowchek

I read in here somewhere on the 12v outlets that came installed on the BH
Ran too small of wire to do much of anything but charge your cell phone and other such things. If this is what you are trying to run your tv or inverter to tv off of this is probably your problem. Just not big enough wire to get the power you need there. You wouldn't get a power drop because your tv probably isn't getting enough power to keep the relay in the tv activated long enough to get a power drop the instant it tries to come on the additional power draw would drop out the relay.You would need to run bigger wire from your battery to your outlet or run another outlet completely. I know others have done it and I will be one of them for sure when I get more time. I will also be adding an outlet to the bedroom tv section. Good luck I hope this helps a little anyways. Reading at Forrest post I am kind of stepping on his toes,Sorry Forrest, But his test will tell you whether my theory or forrests theory actually is correct or not.

Greg

SmokeyBare

I've set up the Bighorn for solar... and I have no problem running off the inverter...

I have a 2000 watt pure sine inverter... and is attached to the one leg of the breaker box... running the outlets that power the MicroWave... The OleviaTV and all video accessories... the outlets where my Directway is attached and the outlet that I have the computer plugged in....

Forrest Fetherolf

I'm not sure. What dfo I want?

Watts formula:
Amps x volts = watts
5.5 x 120 = 648

The tv must require a startup draw in excess of 5.5 amps. You could use a

850 watt inverter = 7 amps
1000 watt inverter = 8.3 amps
2000 watt inverter = 16 amps

I would recommend the 1000 watt. I have a 2000 watt.

Forrest