Faded front cap

GOTTOYS

I had both caps painted 2or 3 years apart. The front one cost $1500.00 plus the decals which Heartland provided. They also paid for the paint job. I was quoted as high as $6,000.00 by a SOB (In more ways than one) dealer, that obviously didn't want the work. I had the rear painted last Summer at a different shop. It was $1,050.00. I paid for that one. I tried the Zep thing on the rear cap and while it looked good for about 6 months, it then started to flake, turn white and looked awful. I had done all the recommended prep which was a lot of work in itself. It was a lot more work to strip it off. It's hard to find a shop with a large enough paint booth to do the work. None of the RV dealers in this area are equipped for this. They would have just sent it out and added in some extra charges for handling it. I found that shops that do body and paint work on big trucks and buses are the best bet. They will have the right equipment and space to do the job. The pricing was all over the map, you just have to shop. If I was to do it again and I had to pay for it...I might have done the Zep floor wax coating, made it look good and traded it off....I doubt that I will ever get any money back for painting it but it looked just terrible for a trailer this new...Good luck, Bob.....Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - we had our 2012 Big Country front and back caps painted. Yes - Heartland provided the front decals but didn't provide back decals in that there was not enough fading of the back for them to pay for. Knowing that we had problems with the front, we went ahead and did the back as well. This was done in 2013. We took it to 2 different rv dealerships for a cost and to ask them to paint it the way we wanted to in that we wanted the caps clear coated as well as painted. The first dealership gave us an extremely high price ($3200) to do only the front cap and wouldn't do the clear coat. The 2nd dealership doesn't do paint job but recommended a trucking company that was also a paint shop. Not a problem with painting it, putting on the decals and then clear coating it. Cost was around $2800. Suggestion is shop around.

TxCowboy

Has anybody had their faded front cap painted and if so how much did it cost??:mad:

Cap fading and excessive oxidation (?) of the end caps was a problem in 2011 and 2012 with a couple of HL product lines. We had a serious issue with our 2011 Greystone.

We never had it repaired as Heartland determined that the fading and white powder that would wash off when it rained or we washed the RV was "acceptable degradation" (their words). It wasn't leaking but it did look like crap.