Toting along a scooter

schipperhaven

Don Ferris
We are tired of using $5 diesel for a run to the store! We want to carry a 50cc scooter with us, but Heartland and Lippert don't want us to hang it on the back of our Bighorn 3670. We have a longbed 2008 Dodge dually with plenty of room in front of the hitch, but the scooter is wider than the inside of the truck body. I want to have a competent welder make me a platform that sits on top of the bed behind the cab, then run the scooter up two single tire ramps to the tailgate and then to the platform. The seat and handlebars would stick up above the cab, but not nearly as much as the trailer!! Pitfalls? I was thinking about raised center of gravity, but I see work trucks all the time with major racks and heavy stuff up high. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, Don and Dot

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't think the scooter is so heavy it will cause any center of gravity problems. I would think if anything would be a problem it may be turning radius with the front cap of the 5th wheel. How about a front mount trailer hitch with a rail on the front of the truck. A front mount hitch bolts on easily and only costs about $110. Depending on the weight of the scooter you may still be under axle capacity and it would be much easier to load. Not sure about sight restrictions though...

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Another option is to mount a receiver hitch on the front of your tow vehicle then mount a carrier in that hitch. I would also be concerned about the turning radius mounting it behind the cab.

Don