Towing question Part 2

alicia

My original question was:
This is my first time using this forum. I emailed Heartland this question and they referred me back to GMC. Maybe some other owners can give me feedback. We are planning on purchasing a Bighorn 3055RL. My question is - will we have any problem towing that much weight with our 2006 GMC 3/4 ton diesel with an Allison trans.
The responses I got back were very positive - Thanks to all who answered.

Part 2 of my question - can we go bigger? How much bigger? If we do what problems will we encounter? I appreciate all the technical info I have received -passed it on to my husband. As for me - I am a middle-aged BLONDE - keep it simple!:) Thanks again to all those who answer- Alicia

SmokeyBare

Hello Alicia,

We have a 3007 - 3400 RL Bighorn and we tow it with a 2002 - 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel.

We're at the rally, having just gotten weighed when we arrived. Because of two tire upgrades I have made... we are well inside the ranges for the tires we now have on our Bighorn. I feel I am safe... towing of this RV. I say this... yet I also know I am heavy on the King Pin weight... I have several very heavy items in the front basement of the RV... which puts a heavier load onto the Truck. To my suspension I've added Timbrins to aid the additional weight on the trucks suspension system.

When I look at the 2009 Specifications :

3055 -34 foot 4 inches long - GVWR - #14,000 - Hitch weight - #1,995

3400 -36 foot 9 inches Long - GVWR - #14,600 - Hitch Weight - #2,180

You've not said how your going to be using your RV... be it weekend use... vacation use... extended stay use... Winter Snow Bird use... or Full Time use.

Each use tends to put more weight into the RV... more personal stuff equals more weight... yes even those Polo Shirts all add up to the weight put into the RV.

That weight needs to be considered when deciding what you can safely tow behind the truck. What can safely be stopped when towing....

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Towing a BH3370 with an 01 F250 PSD. Loaded for camping, empty holding tanks, but 2/3 freshwater, we are over on combined weight rating by a couple hundred pounds. Under the axle and tire ratings, but not by a lot. Truck has no problems towing and gets decent mileage. We do not tow at 70 mph and expect it to slow down some on the mountain passes. We have a full set of gauges including trans temp, pyro and boost. Would I go to a bigger trailer with this truck? No. Are we comfortable with this combo now? Yep.
Just our opinion. Several people on here tow bigger trailers with a 3/4 ton and have no issues. Several tow smaller. You shoud be able to go to GM's website and get the tow ratings for your truck. If not there, then Good Sam has published several tow rating guides over the years. Hope this helps.

grizzlygiant

I tow my BH 3400 with my Dodge 2500 Diesel with Timbrens. I have had no troubhle pulling the rig over the Rockies and through the Sierrras.

SmokeyBare

I put on the Truck... Michelin LTX 265/75/16... which was one size larger... Load Rated E - Weight Rated #3415 @ 80 psi.

I put on the Bighorn.. GoodYear Unisteel G614 235/85/16 Load range G... Weight Rated #3750 @ 110 psi.

Be sure your RV rims are rated for a tire pressure of 110 PSI.