ATF: Landmark - 5.5 vs 6.5 Propane RV Generator

dpclapham

We just purchased a Newport 5W with factory generator prep and are looking to install a generator prior to our first outing. I am concerned, however, after reading about the power loss LP produces compared to gas and about the 5.5kW being able to handle the full load of the entire coach. I realize that the power management system will manage the load across the coach, but want to really understand whether or not we can go with the 6.5kW instead. Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi dpclapham,

Congratulations on the Newport and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A 50 amp campground pedestal provides 6000 watts on each leg for a total of 12,000 watts. The generators provide either 5,500 or 6,500 watts depending on which you select. So while they'll handle a lot of your power requirements, either one will fall short of being able to handle the full load of the entire coach.

We have an older Landmark and have run our Onan 5500 generator without any compromises. But then again, a LM 365 may have 3 A/C units, an induction cooktop, and more.

Another consideration is how long you're planning on running on the generator. A full electrical load consumes around 1 - 1.2 gallons of propane per hour. If you have 40 lb propane tanks, 40 lb is about 9 gallons. So at full load, you may get 16-18 hours of generator run time. More if running lighter power loads.

If your question is related to overnight stops, consider that an overnight stay at Walmart with 2 A/C units running for 12 hours will likely consume nearly a tank of propane. You should consider cost of a tank refill vs cost of staying at an RV park.

If the question is related to boon docking, you'll want to consider how long you can stretch the propane to fit your trip plan, keeping in mind that a 6500 unit consumes a bit more propane than a 5500.

dpclapham

Good morning Dan, thanks for the information. Another follow-up question for the group has to do with rated amps - I think I saw somewhere in a post that the LM365 junction box is labeled not to exceed 50A; the 5.5kW has 45.8 rated AMPs where the 6.5kW has 54.2 rated AMPs. Not sure what is inside the box that would prohibit the few extra AMPs seeing that the entire system is rated for a larger load. Thanks again. Paul

danemayer

Not sure what junction box that might have been referring to. But the wiring in the LM 365 supports 50 amps on each leg. Either Onan generator will supply less than 50 amps on each leg. In fact, when you order, you should check on the model number specifics to see what size circuit breakers are on the generator. Some models of the 5500 come with two 30 amp breakers. Others with a 30 and 20. The 6500 I would expect to have two 30 amp breakers.

dpclapham

The light just came on! ;) I didn't stop to think about each leg. Thanks for the answer! 2x30A is the name of the game for either model. Take care. Paul

carl.swoyer

My Onan 5500 lp came with 30/20 amp breakers. This did run my 07 Cedar Creek but not my 2012 Landmark Rushmore. After speaking to Onan I have removed the 20 amp breaker and replaced it with a 30. This does help, however I set my Magnum ms2812 to 20 or 30 amp shore power to downscale the charging output.My Magnum at 50 amp shore will over speed the Onan. I also set the brisk air to 2 degrees apart so they cycle at different times. Forgot to mention the onboard converter is also charging the house batteries.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk