Installing a Fan-Tastic vent fan

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Has anyone replaced the standard vent fan with one of the Fan-Tastic models? If so, how involved was it? Some time back, I replaced the OEM bedroom fan with a Heng Vortex II multi-speed, but it's decided not to want to work on the low and medium speeds. I've sent an inquiry to Heng about getting a new switch for it, but I may be looking at other options. If they won't sell me the switch, then I don't think it's worth buying another. Too bad, I like the fan on low setting, but if push comes to shove, upgrading to a Fan-tastic 2250 might be in the cards.

porthole

Retired
I have replaced the bathroom vent with a FF. There are several different models. For the bathroom, since it is easy to reach, I used the 3 speed, thermostatically controlled, forward/reverse with rain sensor.

Remove old, connect wires, screw down new, seal, enjoy.

I had the FF dealer installed in the living room to replace the factory installed FF unit and one in bathroom to replace the Mickey Mouse unit.
Mine are 14 Speed with Remote and I love them.
You will find that you need the deeper trim ring because of ceiling thickness.
I believe they are supplied with a 3 inch trim.
Your 2009 Big Horn should have the 5 inch thick ceiling the same as my 2011 Big Country.
Make it a point to ask about that if you order.
Outside of that point, my dealer installed both of mine.
Hockster

sjandbj

I replaced my bathroom fan with a FF one year ago. It is a very simple process. Just make sure you get the deeper trim ring. The standard depth is too short. I chose the the model with the temp remote control. but all of them are better than the original.

Steve

JohnDar

Thanks for the info. Does it require replacing the outside hardware (lid, frame, etc.), as well? With the Heng's, it was just a matter of removing the inside works and installing it, using the original lift mechanism. No work outside required.

kf5qby

Yes, they are all sold as a complete unit. You have to remove the hood, lift and everything to put the FF in.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We replaced the bathroom fan with a FF in our previous ElkRidge. Removing the sealant around the old unit took the longest. After that it's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

OK, thanks guys (and Erika!). Could be a fall project if Heng's won't sell me the parts. If I have to replace the fan to get the ventilation I want, it won't be with another of theirs.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
OK, thanks guys (and Erika!). Could be a fall project if Heng's won't sell me the parts. If I have to replace the fan to get the ventilation I want, it won't be with another of theirs.

Thanks John, LOL!

With the Fantastic Fan on high speed, one thing it can do is pull odors from the black tank when you flush. It's a far cry from the OEM fan.

JohnDar

Thanks John, LOL!

With the Fantastic Fan on high speed, one thing it can do is pull odors from the black tank when you flush. It's a far cry from the OEM fan.

Ah yes, I've found that to be true with the single speed one as well. But my stuff don't stink, so all I smell are roses. :)

TxCowboy

Installing a Fantastic Vent and adding the vent cover is a one of the first "mods" people should make to their RVs. And as TT said above, don't have the vent running when you flush the toilet. The FV really works! LOL :)

JohnDar

Installing a Fantastic Vent and adding the vent cover is a one of the first "mods" people should make to their RVs. And as TT said above, don't have the vent running when you flush the toilet. The FV really works! LOL :)

We have the Fantastic fan in the kitchen/main area (with a vent cover). Came with the rig. I added the cover since I don't want the rain sensor to close the lid.

JohnDar

Well, the Heng Vortex II gets a new lease on life. I was able to find the right ceramic cement power resistors on line and replaced the defective one today. Did a bench test off the battery with it and it works like new, all speeds functioning. I'll take it back to the rig later this week and reinstall it in the bedroom.