Axle Failure on Bighorn

:mad:While going about 15 mph, after traveling about 30 miles, the right side, rear axel broke loose and pivited to about 45 degrees under the trailer. It took about 4 hours and 2 wrecker crews and one fire truck to remove the axel so it could be trailered to the nearest dealer. This is a 18 month old Bighorn 3500 with less than 1000 miles on it. :confused:Its also rated for 14000 max, but has only 6000 lb axels. Vern Fahrni vffahrni@aol.com

jbeletti

Vern,

Sorry to hear about the problem with your coach. Please contact Heartland's Customer Service department at 877-262-8032 to discuss this matter.

Also, 5th wheel trailers are designed to have 20-25% of the total weight borne by the pin. On 14,000 pounds, that's 2,800 to 3,500 pounds of the 14,000 GVWR. That leaves 10,500 to 11,200 pounds to be borne by the axles.

Jim

Pulltab

Jim gave you the right info, not all the weight of the rv sits on the axles. It's a shame it happened, it is not common though. Heartland will take care of it, actually it is most likely a Lippert issue.

Jim, I talked to your service dept. and as of now am satified whith whats being done. I am not a full timer so I can wait and hope everything is done right. Also I understand the axel size when you consider the hitch weight.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Man, I'm sorry to hear about your axle problems. What exactly broke, the axle or the spring shackle or something else?
I'm sure Heartland will make good on everything and to your satisfaction.
I had axle problems with our previous 5er and when we ordered our 2008 BH 3400RE I was sure I didn't want any more of them so I ordered it with 7000 LB axles under it. The 5er is rated at 14,000 LB and even though I knew that the axle load would only be about 6,000 LBs I wanted to be more at ease about the weight.
Best of luck to you and have a wonderful Fourth of July holiday.

Forrest Fetherolf

Vern,

Just be aware when dealing with Heartland and/or Lippert Componets, Heartland factory installs (positions and welds) the suspension brackets to each frame depending on the model. Lippert supplies the frames, springs, axles, brakes and drums to Heartland.

Forrest

StevieWonder

Vern,

Just be aware when dealing with Heartland and/or Lippert Componets, Heartland factory installs (positions and welds) the suspension brackets to each frame depending on the model. Lippert supplies the frames, springs, axles, brakes and drums to Heartland.

Forrest

I hope this isn't an attempt to absolve Heartland of responsibility. GM and Toyota and most car makers don't make all of their parts but they are still very much responsible for the end product.

Sounds like Heartland is stepping up, as expected, on a very BIG failure. Luckily nobody was hurt so the rest is very fixable.

Forrest Fetherolf

I hope this isn't an attempt to absolve Heartland of responsibility. GM and Toyota and most car makers don't make all of their parts but they are still very much responsible for the end product.

Sounds like Heartland is stepping up, as expected, on a very BIG failure. Luckily nobody was hurt so the rest is very fixable.

SW....

Not to absolve anyone..........just owner information on "who does what." If I had not toured the Bighorn factory, I would not know the frames and axles are shipped separately.

Forrest

Pulltab

That is interesting Forrest, I did not know that! Thanks, I assumed they received them as a welded assembly

StevieWonder

SW....

Not to absolve anyone..........just owner information on "who does what." If I had not toured the Bighorn factory, I would not know the frames and axles are shipped separately.

Forrest

Gotchya.

Lots of reasons but as somebody pointed out, it's to give them flexibility to optimize the assembly for different models on the same frame (mid kitchen versus rear kitchen, etc) that shift the center of gravity.

Once again Heartland steps up to back their product. And, as I've said before, if you build enough of anything eventually you'll make a mistake. It's about how you stand up for the errors that speaks volume about Heartland and its commitment to its product.

boatdoc

We had the same thing happen to our 09' 3670 on the way home from the dealer OR it had already spun and it wasn't caught at the dealership( my thought). It would be hard for the dealer to know as they don't drag them around much. It was all put right by a close to me dealer and Heartland and we were on our merry way. I suspect the ubolt nuts weren't tightened to specs at the factory and a hard braking spun the axel in it's perch.