Black Water Flush Connection

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
The plastic fitting where you connect your hose to flush you black tank when emptying leave a lot to be desired. After a year of use it must be stripped or the plastic worn as it always leaks.
Has anyone changed they connection to brass, something else or done some sort of modification and if so is it much of a job?
Any input would be appreciated.
Regards
Wayne

HappyKayakers

I added a brass quick connect on mine after a few months. Still working great after 2 years fulltiming. Have you tried replacing the gasket?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I use the brass quick connects on everything that has to do with water hook ups. The hoses , water filters , docking station everything ....hate messing with water leaks and super quick......Kenny

BobSue

backflush connector

my back flush connector leaked when I got it.

I took out the screws and unthreaded the big white knob fitting. I am sure it could be replaced easily if you can find where to buy it. I have not seen it for sale.

Mine was cross threaded into the connector on the end of the PEX. I redid the connections and leak went away.

I also immediately installed a brass quick connect fitting so I don't have to make the theaded connection each time.

All my water connections are brass quick connects. Saves a ton of aggravations.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use the plastic quick connects for many of my hoses. For the black tank cleaning water connection I place one of the male quick connects on the hose connector for the trailer. On the hose I use to clean the black tank, I have an inline valve screwed onto the hose that fits the quick disconnect on the trailer. Snap it on and then turn on the water at the distribution center. I never remove the plastic male quick connect for the black tank flush so it never gets wear. If you would like to see a photo let me know and I will post it for you.. All my parts can be purchase at WalMart in the Garden area.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I have brass quick connects on all my fittings and hoses. I had major leak problems when I flushed. Sometimes the hose would have a problem even staying threaded inside of the plastic connector, and would pop off, spraying water everywhere. I made sure to wrap all of the threads on the connectors with teflon tape and have not had a leak since installing the quick disconnects.
Fred

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Quick Connect to Black Tank Flush..

OK.. I read on a forum about those using metal quick connects. They are expensive and will clog with the minerals that are in the water. Recommended that the use of the cheap plastic ones from Wally World is good and can be replaced easily.

So here'is what I do.
DSC_0626M.jpg

This is at the shore post. I use a Y and put my Regulator directly on it. Then use the Quick connects on both outlets. White connects to my 2 house Water filters I keep in a milk carton. Note the inline quick valve on the black hose..

DSC_0627M.jpg

This shows my 90* brass Quick connect that I never remove. I use the brass 90* because it fits close to the side of the box. I could not find one I liked that was 90*. Jim Belitti uses one that is a 120* (I think that is correct). It connects to the output from my House water filters. The plastic quick connect has a male nipple that I connect to my inline valve.

DSC_0628M.jpg

Now the in line quick connect valve is on and water is running to clean out the black tank. I can turn the water off here at the Distribution center when needed or when I am finished and want to remove it.

DSC_0629M.jpg

This is a closeup of the quick connect with a valve.

DSC_0630M.jpg

I also went to Lowe's and bought two Westinghouse house water filters, about $35 each, connected them with a coupler put water hose connectors on each end, connected my 3ft hose and added the brass 90* disconnect. The first filter is a good filter for large particles and the second is a charcoal to remove the taste of chlorine I then slide it under the trailer. It works well and is out of the way.

Hope this helps those that are intrested.

Forrest Fetherolf

Here is the docking station mod I made and posted last year. One inlet water supply to fill fresh water tank, provide city water, and flush holding tank. One outlet to supply water to Sewer Solution.

Forrest

Attachments

• PLUMBING_MOD002.JPG
    PLUMBING_MOD002.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 108

Jimmyt5

I used the brass connects for a long time. The little balls in the female end started to rust and I called the manufacture, they said that they had a bad batch of balls;) and they sent me new ones, they also rusted,took them back to home depot were I got the first ones and they replaced them,they also rusted. I am now using plastic ones and they have been great for a long time and a lot cheaper.

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
That is exactly what I heard about metal connections and caused me to use the plastic ones, except the 90*..

Forrest
Now you just had to go and get real fancy.. I like what you did.. Jim Beletti had mentioned that someone had made a manifold that worked well.
How about giving us a bit more on what you designed..
I am going to make a bit of an assumption if you don’t mind.
On the upper part you inserted a short length of 1/2" PVC for the fresh water fill with an inline valve. That is teed off the main line to the City Water connection.
The City Water is the connection beside the fresh water fill.
Do you have a valve on it? I don’t see one.
Below is the Black tank flush, which has a valve on it.
On the drop down connections the one on the right is for city water?? and the one on the left is for your Sewer Solution with a valve. If your connections are reversed this would mean you have continuous pressure on the Sewer Solution, I would doubt this. If so why not a valve to turn everything off at the distribution center.

A question, did you mount the PVC to anything other than the connections to which they are attached.

Am I fairly close to describing your manifold. I find it quite intresting. Thanks for posting it.. I would like to do this in the future, so it might take a while before I get around to it.

Wayne
We don’t intend to Hi Jack your thread.. You still around??

Thanks for starting the topic..

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim
That is exactly what I heard about metal connections and caused me to use the plastic ones, except the 90*..

Forrest
Now you just had to go and get real fancy.. I like what you did.. Jim Beletti had mentioned that someone had made a manifold that worked well.
How about giving us a bit more on what you designed..
I am going to make a bit of an assumption if you don’t mind.
On the upper part you inserted a short length of 1/2" PVC for the fresh water fill with an in-line valve. That is teed off the main line to the City Water connection.
The City Water is the connection beside the fresh water fill.
Do you have a valve on it? I don’t see one.
Below is the Black tank flush, which has a valve on it.
On the drop down connections the one on the right is for city water?? and the one on the left is for your Sewer Solution with a valve. If your connections are reversed this would mean you have continuous pressure on the Sewer Solution, I would doubt this. If so why not a valve to turn everything off at the distribution center.

A question, did you mount the PVC to anything other than the connections to which they are attached.

Am I fairly close to describing your manifold. I find it quite interesting. Thanks for posting it.. I would like to do this in the future, so it might take a while before I get around to it.

Wayne
We don’t intend to Hi Jack your thread.. You still around??

Thanks for starting the topic..

Wayne,

You did a good job describing the mod...........you save me a lot of explaining. :) The next mod, I'll sent the picture and you can explain what I did. :confused:
(1) No valve on the city water supply next to the fresh water tank filler.
(2) City water supply inlet on the lower right (male quick connect) and Sewer Solution on the lower left (female quick connect).
(3) The city water supply hose has in-line on/off valve with quick connect on both ends.
(4) No additional bracket support mainfold.
I used CVPC instead of PVC, the fittings are smaller and nicer looking. CVPC requires CVPC glue.........not PVC glue.

Forrest

Attachments

• PLUMBING_MOD002.JPG
    PLUMBING_MOD002.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 51

dlg449

I hard-piped everything with 3/4" PVC. I worked backward from the city water connection to a Tee. One leg of the Tee went through a check valve and ball valve then continued to the black tank flush connection. The other leg ended in one-half a PVC union just above the large access plug. The piping was secured to the wall using conduit brackets and bolts. To hook up, I remove the access plug and connect the other half of the union. I travel in my work and normally stay in one location for several months and always use PVC from the city connection to the trailer.

Dave