EPDM vs TPO Roof

TandC

My 2012 Bighorn is in the shop and may need a new roof. The shop is recommending (i.e. "pushing") TPO over EPOM.
Any thoughts or experiences with these two types?
However, I'm not sure the insurance company will approve a full roof replacement.
I've got three roof tears and wonder if Eternabond tape is the way to go. Largest tear is approximately 2.5" x 2"
All tears are on the curve where the roof curves to meet the side.
I feel the tears are very recent and I do not detect any water damage.
Thanks
Terrell

danemayer

Re: EPOM vs TPO Roof

A roof replacement is extremely invasive. Pulling off the old Dicor EPDM material destroys the luan underneath. All the vents, fans, air conditioner and ladder have to be removed. The DIcor material gets cut at front and rear caps, creating a new seam on each end that requires careful maintenance. The luan needs to be sanded smooth, new luan put on, and new roof material put on. Then everything that was removed gets put back.

There's a lot of opportunity for the tech to make a mistake that causes a return trip.

On the other hand, on trade-in, or private sale, the buyer may find patches off-putting.

But Eternabond will fix small tears.

sjandbj

Terrell,
I had a Alfa before our Big Country. On the Alfa the original roof was the EPDM rubber roof. It was 13 years old so I decided to replace the roof myself. I chose the TPO material and wish the Big Country had the TPO. The TPO material is a lot tougher than the rubber and was easier to install. The rubber roof pealed off in the summer heat without damaging the luan underneath. I was able to tuck the top material under the front an end caps that allowed the install to look and work well. I must say it was a ton of work but it cost me less than 1000.00 to do the whole roof that include all new vents covers and fans. The top has a little texture on it so it is not as slick when it gets wet. As far as putting TPO on top of the rubber roof I have never heard of that before.

The Eternabond tape a great choice to repair small holes and tears. I have used it many times in the past.

jam20ster

I just had a roof replaced on my cyclone 4200. It was a 44' roof job that had 3 small holes from where a tree limb overhanging into the road rubbed it. I too did not think my insurance company would approve a new roof, but they surprised me and approved over $12,000 for full replacement. I personally would not go the cheap route if insurance will take care of it, but that's just me.

avvidclif

I would look at this company. http://rvroof.com/ A posting was on another group asking about roofing and several owners said they had it done and were completely satisfied. Originally they only did it in Florida but it looks like they have added few authorized installers.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have been told TPO is quite a bit more noisy in rain than EPDM.

I had my EPDM roof completely replaced (rubber only) after a fight with an oak tree about three years ago. There was no structural damage, other than eight feet of bull-nose edging along the off door side. My insurance paid $7K to the repair facility. It has been better than new with no problems.

If I were doing it again today, I would strongly consider this process; http://www.rvflexarmor.com/ Trace

TandC

Thanks for the inputs and information.
I was surprised my insurance company agreed to pay for a new roof @ ~ $7200 minus my $250 deductible.
So ... a new roof for $250. I decided to go with the TPO roofing. I have a 35 foot Bighorn.
Terrell
HOC #2016

tomhank

The main reason why EPDM is preferred over TPO by so many people is because its roofing systems endure longer. While both varieties are excellent at withstanding wear and the elements, EPDM is a preferable choice because it can withstand the elements for longer periods of time before needing to be replaced.