2002 3500 6.6L/allison DRW CC 4x4 LB specs

uncledon

Her chauffeur
So Ive been looking at future upgrades for our next fiver, and then started paying closer attention to weights. I confess with this truck I hadn't thought much of possibly going over the weight limits, but unless someone steers me differently, I am thinking I may not be able to upgrade to my Landmark like I was thinking.

Ive been following a lot of you Landmark owners and what your using to tow with. Most are late model 1 ton DRW's that have a bit higher rating than my truck. I guess I figured I was OK with my Silverado, but according to these specs maybe not, eh?? :confused:
2002 truck specs.jpg20141008_151346.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That truck will handle a Landmark no problem. My Landmark 365 Ashland is about 18K now with Gen and all of the extra stuff I've put in it. You are 4000k under the 22000k rating.
If you have a Gen you'll be pushing about a 4300k pin weight so you'll be fine there too. With the DRW Truck.
The only thing that I'd do is install the disc brakes..

Hope this helps
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jerrod, it says Max 5th wheel 12k on the specs! How is that "no problem" when a Landmark will be pushing 18K? Gross COMBINED is 22k, his truck probably weighs 8500 at least!

Please don't say no problem without doing all the math. That's why www.fifthwheelst.com is there to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I guess I've been corrected.

Crazy to think I had been hauling my 18000k toy-hauler around with my 2003 SRW Deramax for years before I upgraded to my 2006 DRW.

I Think I might have been over that.

I don't understand how those numbers are so low on that DRW truck.

Bob.jr

23,200 for a 5er. 12,000 for a bumper pull. I just read it as per your suggestion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

MCTalley

FifthWheelSt only has towing guides back to 2004 for the Chevy. However, in looking through the 2004, the DRW is rated at 23,000 max GCWR (that's the weight of the truck, trailer, fuel, passengers and cargo combined). Considering the truck probably weighs close to 8,000 empty, that gives you a max tow of 15,000 lb. Not many Landmarks in that range.

We started out with a 2002 Ford DRW that had a 20,000 GCWR. Anything over 12k was technically out of spec, though we pulled our 15,500 lb. Big Country around for a year with it. Long, steep hills were a pain, but it did fine otherwise. The GCWR was the only thing we were over - all other ratings we were under. (Not advocating the same, obviously).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I guess I've been corrected.

Crazy to think I had been hauling my 18000k toy-hauler around with my 2003 SRW Deramax for years before I upgraded to my 2006 DRW.

I Think I might have been over that.

I don't understand how those numbers are so low on that DRW truck.

Sorry. Didn't mean to jump on you. I try to make sure folks learn to do the research, not depend on "social media" for answers.
You may or may not get good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur
The unscaled curb weight from the door jamb matches the combined front axle and rear axle weights on the spec sheet of 6215#. Now that's probably right as she sits with an empty tank, but will change and get closer the 8000# number when I put my auxillary fuel tank/toolbox in and fill it.

So it appears that I'm better off going with my plan of throwing paint on the exterior of my current 2009 BH and sitting on it for a year or so, and then unloading them both for something newer with a higher tow rating. We'll know better after this next winter just whether our BH is really lacking in accommodations and then can revisit an upgrade at that time I reckon.

Thx to all for the invaluable input.

carl.swoyer

My 05 2500 hd long bed Crew cab lly/ Duramax with extra leaf springs has been towing my 2012 Landmark Rushmore no problems. 212000 miles

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk