Tripping washer/dryer breaker causes "brown out"

Dfultz

We had an issues with the washer door lock activating on its own. Manufacturer said that the power company was sending a signal causing it and that it doesn't harm anything just annoying. They suggested tripping the breaker when not in use. When we turn the breaker off, we noticed, on the power control monitor that L2 voltage drops from 122v to 8v and alerts brown out. Turing breaker back on, restores voltage back to 122v. Anyone else experience this or know what the cause could be?

-Thanks, Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Dfultz

I should also mention that this only happens with this specific breaker, we have tested it with them all and the voltage only drops with the washer/dryer breaker. We have a 2015 Landmark Newport.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So, when you turn off breaker that is dedicated to your washer/dryer the voltage on your monitor goes to 8 volts. Correct?
Is this monitor OEM or do you have a Progressive Industries EMS?
Either way it seems to me that you have a wiring issue. Could be an open neutral or ground.
There is no other logical explanation as to why you drop to 8 volts when turning that breaker off.
Just my opinion and not necessarily the correct evaluation.
Have you done any troubleshooting? Checking for open neutral or ground?

Peace
Dave

Dfultz

That is correct, the monitor goes to 8 volts an Line 2 when breaker is shut off.

It is the factory installed progressive power management system.

I have tested the outlets in the washer/dryer area and showed that they are wire correctly.

Dfultz

I used one of the outlet testers that just plug in and has the indicator lights.

danemayer

If you're reading the voltage on this monitor, it's the PCS Power Control System, not the Progressive EMS.
Precision Control System Line Status.jpg

If you are flipping a circuit breaker OFF and the line status voltage drops to 8 volts, you need to investigate further. You may have a problem with your neutral connection anywhere from the campground pedestal, to your transfer switch to your Progressive EMS, all the way up to the main circuit breaker panel. If you see one leg drop voltage, the other leg could be going up, but may not display a change until you have enough stuff running to sufficiently load the power leg.

A plug-in outlet tester may not be sufficient to investigate. It may be detecting correct wiring without evaluating the ability of the wiring to carry a full load.

Dfultz

Yes, that is the monitor I am looking at.

Breaker on:
1e05f58bb585afb799e1010dd1e3e9bc.jpg

Breaker off:
3a06ce76539eb1af8eab0c6e6cb13356.jpg

Dfultz

Okay, did some more breaker flipping and found that there is another breaker that make L1 voltage drop (the microwave). In the picture below, the breaker on the left with blue tape drops line 1, the other with blue tape drops line 2 voltage.
f720b3635a744a136b81a408736d124a.jpg

Dfultz

Got a hold of the manufacturer for the power control system. Everything is fine those 2 breakers control the 2 lines to the control system.

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
We had the same problem with our washer. It would do it during the night. Now we unplug it from the receptable when we do not use it. Problem solved
.There was a question about this on the forum 4 or 5 mths. ago about this.They called the factory and this is what they told them to do.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, did some more breaker flipping and found that there is another breaker that make L1 voltage drop (the microwave). In the picture below, the breaker on the left with blue tape drops line 1, the other with blue tape drops line 2 voltage.

I am not familiar with your service (breaker) panel in the picture but one thing that caught my eye is that there is a white (neutral) wire running from the neutral buss to the hot (+) buss.
Again, I am not familiar with that system but it is something that I would certainly check out.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The center connections on the relay buss bar on the left are for voltage sensing. L1, L2 and neutral connections are highlighted below.
PCS relay buss.jpg

Mattman

Check your red phase on your 2 pole 50. Is that a broken strand on your conductor? Maybe it's the picture. if it is suggest de-energize and re terminate that. Broken wires could increase your resistance at the connection point.