Air Bags vs Timbrens

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
TV is 06 F250, hitch is Reese 16k with Kwick Slide. When hooking up bed of truck drops 2 1/2 to 3". Truck dies a little chucking on concrete but steers normal. Do I invest or not and if I do which one.:confused:

Forrest Fetherolf

TV is 06 F250, hitch is Reese 16k with Kwick Slide. When hooking up bed of truck drops 2 1/2 to 3". Truck dies a little chucking on concrete but steers normal. Do I invest or not and if I do which one.:confused:

I prefer air bags over Timbren because air bags are adjustable with air pressure, Timbren have no adjustment. If you TV drops about 3", that will effect front end alignment and ride. Chucking is normally caused by rough road and can be reduced with TrailAir, MorRyde, or Airborne hitch-pin. I have TrailAir.

Forrest

sharmulst

We have airbags and the Mor-ryde hitch. It has made a world of difference in the ride of the BH. Now if anything is out of place in the 5er it is the exception. Before it was a crap shoot as to what was going to be upset as it was something different each time.

vangoes

Lee,
I had the Timbrens on my 04 F250 and they did a good job. They reduced the rear-end drop to 1 inch or less and eliminated the bounce when towing thus providing better stability. I now have an 08 and I plan on installing Timbrens again. The best part about the Timbrens is they have no effect when not hooked to the 5ver which does not stiffen your ride at all when not loaded.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have had no experience with Timbrens but we had Air Bags on our past truck. A Chev 2500HD. When not towing, we ran 10 psi in the bags and it actually improved the ride. I'm considering adding the to our 3500 just to see if it improves the ride. Is anyone reading this running bags on a 3500? Do they soften the ride a bit?

SmokeyBare

With Timbrens... they are designed to be about 1 inch above the axle when the truck is not under load... the Timbrens only come into play once there is enough weight in the truck... be it a load in the bed or the Fifth Wheel attached to the Hitch.

As far as the ride... when not under load the truck should ride as it always did.

One thing I like is there is nothing to do once they are installed... they work when needed... there is no adjusting air pressure ever... just load and go.

Life time warranty... but then, there's no reason to believe they could ever fail.

Sundance_kid

Have the Timbrens on my F250 since 2005 and work just as good as the day I put them on. No muss no fuss always there when you need them for only half the price of the air bag setup with onboard compressior.