Brand new Buds 33 electrical fault

shevy

So, haven’t even camped yet (just bought it two weeks ago) but the gfi has already failed. No outlet has power and the gfi wouldn’t reset. Had to haul it in to the dealer to fix. Not a good start. Has anyone else experienced issues with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

By chance - was the RV plugged into power at your home? And if so, by chance, was it a GFCI protected circuit/outlet?

WBG

WBGavin
No its only been plugged in to a 30 amp and my portable Yamaha generators.

I am no expert but this is what I read on Mike Sokol's "No Shock Zone" (available on Amazon for about $14). Inverter generators like Honda and Yamaha have a floating ground (the Neutral and Ground are not bounded together. Your RV expects to see a bonded Neutral & Ground when you plug in your generator. The result is that your RV GFI will trip unless you provide (construct) a neutral to ground bond on your generator. This can be easily done as shown in mike's book - Chapter 14.

Not sure why you had the problem at home, but the first thing I would check out is to ensure that the home outlet has a bonded neutral and ground.

Hope that helps

Oregon_Camper

No we we were running it on battery. Does it need to be hooked up to 30 amp for the outlets to work?

None of the outlets will work on battery power, except for possibly the refrigerator outlet, as some units come from the factory with a small inverter to power "residential refrigerators" (the "inverter" creates AC power from battery)

You will also notice the clock on your microwave is no longer on....this is due to no AC power.

shevy

None of the outlets will work on battery power, except for possibly the refrigerator outlet, as some units come from the factory with a small inverter to power "residential refrigerators" (the "inverter" creates AC power from battery)

You will also notice the clock on your microwave is no longer on....this is due to no AC power.

Well Shazam that may have solved it. #newbee

Nightshifter

In a home electrical system the only place that the neutral and ground are bonded is at the main service.
In a receptacle the neutral and ground are separated. This is also true in a gfci receptacle. The ground and neutral are separate wires.