8 Tracks and Cassette Players

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I was supposed to hit the road this morning and head south to Las Cruces, NM or El Paso, TX...

But there is a massive wind storm hitting right now (wind gusts up to 70 mph), so I decided to hunker down and ride out the storm here (better go dig out my old REO Speedwagon cassettes :p ).

So I cable locked and bungee corded a bunch of outside things to the front stabilizers, put stuff away that otherwise would blow away. and since the Prowler is mostly facing into the wind I backed the truck up against the back bumper of the Prowler for stability.

View attachment 57307 View attachment 57310 View attachment 57308

View attachment 57306 View attachment 57309

Attachments

• ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111970.jpg
    ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111970.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 59
  • ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111966.jpg
    ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111966.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 61
  • ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111960.jpg
    ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111960.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 56
  • ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4110413.jpg
    ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4110413.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 58
  • ProwlerHunkeredDownCrop-P4111966.jpg
    ProwlerHunkeredDownCrop-P4111966.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I was supposed to hit the road this morning and head south to Las Cruces, NM or El Paso, TX...

But there is a massive wind storm hitting right now (wind gusts up to 70 mph), so I decided to hunker down and ride out the storm here (better go dig out my old REO Speedwagon cassettes :p ).

So I cable locked and bungee corded a bunch of outside things to the front stabilizers, put stuff away that otherwise would blow away. and since the Prowler is mostly facing into the wind I backed the truck up against the back bumper of the Prowler for stability.

View attachment 57307 View attachment 57310 View attachment 57308

View attachment 57306 View attachment 57309

JohhD, that is funny! I'm not say'n you are old, but listening to REO on cassette tapes? you might be?? lol.. Good luck Riding the storm out.

JohnD

Re: What did you do to your camper today?

JohnD, that is funny! I'm not say'n you are old, but listening to REO on cassette tapes? you might be?? lol.. Good luck Riding the storm out.

Hint:

I was born in July, 1960...graduated HS in 1978...

By the by...been outside a couple of times and everything is still where it should be, however, the truck and trailer are now dusty filthy!

Having the truck bumper-to-bumper with the Prowler has kept the rocking down quit a bit, although those gusts still rock the Kazbah (Talking Heads :cool: ) pretty good!.

Forgot to mention above, but there is a wildfire going about 20 miles west of here, so that smell has been abundant since yesterday afternoon as well!

JohnD

Better than 8 tracks.rolol

I was at the end of the 8-Track era...

My first car , a used 1967 Chevy Chevelle, had an under dash 8-track player, so I went to the local record store and bought three 8-track tapes, only to find that the 8-track player didn't work.

I replaced it with a pretty cool Panasonic under dash FM/Cassette deck...

Dems were the good old dayz!

But I never want to go back, although I do have a few cassette desks stowed away!

And a boombox with me that has cassette & CD player in it!

Never once got to listen to those three 8-track tapes...ever!

Although I already has them on vinyl...so I copied them to cassette!

carl.swoyer

I was at the end of the 8-Track era...

My first car , a used 1967 Chevy Chevelle, had an under dash 8-track player, so I went to the local record store and bought three 8-track tapes, only to find that the 8-track player didn't work.

I replaced it with a pretty cool Panasonic under dash FM/Cassette deck...

Dems were the good old dayz!

But I never want to go back, although I do have a few cassette desks stowed away!

And a boombox with me that has cassette & CD player in it!

Never once got to listen to those three 8-track tapes...ever!

Although I already has them on vinyl...so I copied them to cassette!
Born in 59 . Class of 77 Hollis Area High School.
First car a 68 vw beetle with Jensen speakers and a radio shack fm only radio with a built-in 8-track. Sounded great!
Back seat was laid down flat and carpeting installed for those special night's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Born in 59 . Class of 77 Hollis Area High School.
First car a 68 vw beetle with Jensen speakers and a radio shack fm only radio with a built-in 8-track. Sounded great!
Back seat was laid down flat and carpeting installed for those special night's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OMG! lol, bet you even had fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror?

JohnD

OMG! lol, bet you even had fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror?

I saved those (fuzzy dice) for 1980...when I bought this beast:

1972BuickElectra225.jpg
1972 Buick Electra 225 with 455 under the hood, Rochester Quadrajunk, headers, dual exhaust with Hush Thrush mufflers...

Here's me in 1982 in my early days of mobile DJ'ing...

Who said Madonna invented the headphone mic?

MusicDoctorDJ1982.jpg
And check out those old Koss Pro 4AA headphones that were new then!

By the by...I still look exactly the same...NOT!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be DJ'ing at the HOC Mountain Regional Rally in Pueblo in May...

Might have to put that shot of me up on the big screen!

JohnD

I just searched through a couple thousand images of old under-dash car stereos and couldn't find my old Panasonic.

Remember when you typed something in to Google and you could actually find what you were looking for? :mad:

porthole

Retired
My first car was a 1968 Road Runner and it had a factory 8track that was mounted on the floor hump, about the size of a shoebox

JohnD, my buddy at the time - his parents had a big old "deuce and a 1/4 with the 455. When we were learning to drive we found out the big Buick could do a burnout that rivaled Funny Cars!

MikeR

Sorry guys, I have you all beat. First auxiliary music player installed in one of my cars was a 45 rpm spring mounted record player. By the way the cd player in my truck is used to hold the mount for my cell phone. All in vehicle music is now streamed.

MCTalley

JohnD, my buddy at the time - his parents had a big old "deuce and a 1/4 with the 455. When we were learning to drive we found out the big Buick could do a burnout that rivaled Funny Cars!

I learned to drive in my folks' 1970 Ford LTD with the 429-4V. It had an open diff and could leave a one-wheel stripe for an entire city block. Skinny bias ply tires just didn't have the grip that modern radials do.

JohnD

I learned to drive in my folks' 1970 Ford LTD with the 429-4V. It had an open diff and could leave a one-wheel stripe for an entire city block. Skinny bias ply tires just didn't have the grip that modern radials do.

That Electra in the photo above had a posi rear end...

I left a two block long double burnout up my street with it!

Plus...the cloud of smoke was awesome...although my neighbors weren't too happy! :p

porthole

Retired
That Electra in the photo above had a posi rear end...

I left a two block long double burnout up my street with it!

Plus...the cloud of smoke was awesome...although my neighbors weren't too happy! :p

Same with my buddy's parent's car, 'Dad' was a car guy, so the family sedan of course had a posi in it !

Although our typical display area was at the stop sign leaving the high school parking lot.