1st real tow w/'17 F350 dually

NYSUPstater

Had 1st real tow w/ the new gal last w/e and was very surprised how well it towed and handled the BC. Had very good tail wind and she never swayed 1 bit. Thruway travel was with ease and hills, what hills? LOL.

HOWEVER if there was a fly in the ointment, it would have to be the harshness of the susp when going over bumps or more so coming down from the top of them. On smooth sections....AOK. But it seems like when we went over bumps, the susp would (for better words) BANG back down and give ya/truck one hellofa jolt. This despite a 3700 pound pin weight. Don't think the coach got "shocked" as it has the 5th Airborne.

Any suggestions as to what to do? Other's experience the same thing? Suspension is bone stock. I don't think/recall if the aux springs are being hit by brackets on level ground, but do show signs of being engaged at some point during travel. Truck itself squats around 2" or so (still level IMO) and am okay w/ that. 65 PSI in rear tires, 75 in front.

Garypowell

You make it sound like the truck is taking (and giving) a pounding. And that’s OK as your the one in the drivers seat.

We had 5 rigs and 5 trucks over our traveling years and always found ways to make it a better ride. We upgraded to the 5th airborne first and had to play with the air pressure to smooth out the ride with our older 2500 SRW. We had to do the same thing when we moved up to the 3500 SRW truck.

Wait it for a pull or two and then try different air bad pressures or go for some truck air bags......just small changes at a time.

jgbagwell

Timbren Helper Suspension Kit

I did a 1200 tow over father's day week. First tow with Timbren helper kit added. Took away exactly what you are talking about.
When you go over an uneaven joint in the road or a short deep depression in the road, it sounds and feels like the bed and kingpin were lifted up and slammed back down.
I believe it is the factory "bump-stops" are completely compressed and the axle housing is allow to transfer that energy to the frame.
I got mine from Stengle Brothers for total price of $269.65. I am very satisfied. Not only takes away that hammering, but smooths out the handling and ride. Timazon was the discount promo code.
https://www.stengelbros.net/FR350SDJ-Timbren-SES-Helper-Suspension-Kit-_p_16856.html
mLcpkR2TuSU1fHIDAzp3vVplWCTMM6RLLSOp5L0HlhbpaFKxlOxM5LxAz6eMfTOV0iySUyigQ-1VQyIcW_axtQ7KKH7imC2G_sPwiBvO_jh5hZi84TQ=s0-d-e1-ft
FR350SDJ FR350SDJ Timbren SES Helper Suspension Kit
$317.24 x 1​
$317.24

Subtotal: $317.24
Discount: $47.59
Shipping: $0.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $269.65​
Discounts / Promotions / Gift Certificates

Timazon - $47.59

Bones

Had 1st real tow w/ the new gal last w/e and was very surprised how well it towed and handled the BC. Had very good tail wind and she never swayed 1 bit. Thruway travel was with ease and hills, what hills? LOL.

HOWEVER if there was a fly in the ointment, it would have to be the harshness of the susp when going over bumps or more so coming down from the top of them. On smooth sections....AOK. But it seems like when we went over bumps, the susp would (for better words) BANG back down and give ya/truck one hellofa jolt. This despite a 3700 pound pin weight. Don't think the coach got "shocked" as it has the 5th Airborne.

Any suggestions as to what to do? Other's experience the same thing? Suspension is bone stock. I don't think/recall if the aux springs are being hit by brackets on level ground, but do show signs of being engaged at some point during travel. Truck itself squats around 2" or so (still level IMO) and am okay w/ that. 65 PSI in rear tires, 75 in front.

At first read I thought what was happening was your trailer is coming back down and slamming the hitch. So my next thought is possibly add airbags to the truck to give you that little bit of cushion.

CDN

B and B
Following this. I don't have either currently. I am concerned with winter salt and solution used for deciding that airbags and compressor would just decay over time. Does anyone uses airbags in northern climates all winter? Truck is my daily driver and only way to work on some days due to snow.

I am looking at the Timbrens SES for the same reasons the OP mentioned for my 2016 SD.

Brian

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I had quite the harsh ride over expansion joints and potholes. The Airlift bags help considerably. Made a big difference. And then, I combined it with the Flex Air pin box and it really has been a nice combination.

NYSUPstater

Thanks for the replies thus far gang!. The 5er/hitch isn't the problem. It's just the truck's susp when going over bumps. Not sure if there is a gap between the overload brackets and aux springs and if there is and going over bumps, the aux spring thus gets engaged briefly for just that quick second to quickly enforce the whole susp back down which results in the "bag" I'm trying to describe. This is my 1st dually ever as I've always had SRW and for past 20 years short boxes. On my '03 F250, I installed Timbrens and had very good results and struck squatted about 2" as well. Over time, the factory springs got weak enough that the Timbrens were pretty much touching the axle full time. That in itself was starting to make for a rough ride empty. Spoke w/Timbren and they sent me a new set (presumably shorter), but got rid of truck after camping season was over.

After the '03 F250 (which I ordered BTW w/ camping/tow pkgs), I bought off the lot a '15 F350 SRW. While it had factory overload springs and tow pkg, no camper/5th wheel prep pkg. No rear sway bar, so figured I'd try Torklift Stabiloads (upper and lower). With both installed, the uppers were hitting the aux spring full time while the lowers were NOT engaged. Rough ride empty. Towing 1st 5er (pin wt of 1900), ride was still rough w/both. With just the uppers, I felt truck squatted too much. So I cut down/off a large portion of the uppers in an attempt to create a gap between them and aux spring empty. Cut darn near 1/2 of them and got a lil gap, so unloaded ride wasn't as bad, but still pretty rough w/ 5er. At this point in time, we sold the 1st 5er and got current one w/ a pin of 3700. Removed the uppers and tried just the lowers and ended up w/ the factory brackets hitting the aux spring w/ 5er on. Ride was vastly improved and handling was very good.

I didn't want to upgrade to a dually or for that matter another truck so soon after getting the '15 (purchased in Dec of '14) as I really like the truck and had it set up nicely. But as were planning our vaykay for this summer, we are heading south during the height of it and although I was over on truck GVW, really didn't bother me on that. The tires though IMO the weak spot. Already over w/o anyone in truck, so add in few hundred extra pounds, heat of just plain rotation, much higher ambient/outside temp, much higher road temp, all this combined was putting a pit in my stomach. If staying say north of a line from DC, no problem, but further south was bothering me on the tires. Would I have had problems/been alright? Perhaps. Many probly do tow w/ same kind of senerio. I myself just couldn't do it. So come along the dually.

Being a dually, it has a stiffer susp to begin with. If on the '15 and the aux springs were engaged w/ 3700#, the ride was pretty good w/ just the lower Stabiloads. Now I don't think/recall (Geesh I hate that I didn't pay attention last time we were hooked up.....darn CRS! LOL ) that the aux springs are engaged so have a gap between them. If I install the removed upper Stabiloads from the '15 that 2 things would happen. 1. Ride w/ 5er and bumps may be improved as the aux springs don't have a gap. 2. if no 5er attached and upper Stabiloads still hit the aux springs, unloaded ride will suffer. So I think there in lies my dilemma. I know Timbrens will limit how low the rear end drops and pretty much not allow the aux springs to engage and keep truck level. Air bags would pretty much do the same thing. If I don't see myself really putting a lot more weight on truck via pin, I "could" remove the aux spring altogether. No expert (hence my asking/seeking input), but sounds like the aux springs may be the root problem because I don't have any weight on them to work all the time.

Sorry for the very long post, but only real way to fully describe what's going on and how I arrived at this point and asking for assistance.

Thanks for all the advice and understanding.

WillyBill

It seems like most folks with a Ford with SRW or DRW settle on running air bags. Not a formal survey, just my "Feel" from reading this forum for a while now.

Whatever you do on the truck, i highly recommend a Flex Air Pin Box. We REALLY like ours.

WB

jimtoo

Thanks for the replies thus far gang!. The 5er/hitch isn't the problem. It's just the truck's susp when going over bumps. Not sure if there is a gap between the overload brackets and aux springs and if there is and going over bumps, the aux spring thus gets engaged briefly for just that quick second to quickly enforce the whole susp back down which results in the "bag" I'm trying to describe. This is my 1st dually ever as I've always had SRW and for past 20 years short boxes. On my '03 F250, I installed Timbrens and had very good results and struck squatted about 2" as well. Over time, the factory springs got weak enough that the Timbrens were pretty much touching the axle full time. That in itself was starting to make for a rough ride empty. Spoke w/Timbren and they sent me a new set (presumably shorter), but got rid of truck after camping season was over.
Thanks for all the advice and understanding.

What your describing is the same problem I had when towing my BH. My overload springs were about 1" from making contact with brackets when hooked up ready to tow. When you hit the bumps you got the hard jolt when overloads made contact. I removed the overload brackets from the frame of my GMC. and installed the Firestone Ride-Right airbags with compressor.
Removing the brackets was very easy and did not need to mess with spring leafs or mounts. Been very happy with it since.

Jim M

NYSUPstater

- - - Updated - - -

What your describing is the same problem I had when towing my BH. My overload springs were about 1" from making contact with brackets when hooked up ready to tow. When you hit the bumps you got the hard jolt when overloads made contact. I removed the overload brackets from the frame of my GMC. and installed the Firestone Ride-Right airbags with compressor.
Removing the brackets was very easy and did not need to mess with spring leafs or mounts. Been very happy with it since.

Jim M

Did you try it w/o the airbags 1st after removing the brackets? I will look into seeing about the ease of removing the brackets cause you sir described exactly what i've got. IMO, I think just the main leaf pack will do what I want w/o adding anything (airbags, Timbrens, Stabiloads, etc). Unable to do anything today, but tmrw is quite doable.

As for the Flex-Air, we have the 5th Airborne and both do essentially the same thing. Problem I'm incurring is not related to the pinbox whatsoever. It's all the trucks susp.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

I installed the airbags at same time, but I have tried it without air or almost none and I was about 1 to 2" low from being level. I run about 30-35# air when towing and everything is good. When not towing I keep 5# air just to keep them inflated good. Mine are now 13 years old and still good shape.

Jim M

Bones

I would highly recommend Air bags. My truck rides on that type of suspension all the time with auto level and has 1 or 2 springs to stabilize things. I would recommend getting an auto level type of system with it's own compressor. Once you set the level for towing your air bags will increase and decrease air pressure to keep your truck at that level. I love it. If I were to do it again I would actually consider a 450 with the kelderman 4 link full air ride suspension. Just like your big rigs.

porthole

Retired
That amount of pin weight and no doubt you are bouncing on the overloads.

Before I did air on my truck it was harsh enough that the rubber bushings on the overloads were coming off.

Overloads off
Air bags on
Done.

jbs80122

We just took delivery of our BG 3870fb and towed it cross country using our 2017 f350 dually. No problems at all though we did get the Morryde pin box. Nice and smooth.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

We just took delivery of our BG 3870fb and towed it cross country using our 2017 f350 dually. No problems at all though we did get the Morryde pin box. Nice and smooth.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Did you happen to weigh things to get your pin weight?

Oldelevatorman

I just ordered air bags for my '15 F350 DRW 2WD. Right now it squats 2 1/2" but is still level. The pin weight on my '17 LM is just under 4K! Upgrading to the Flex-Air pin box soon as well. Trailer seems a little smoother since I upgraded the wet bolts and balanced the tires and definitely stops on a dime with the new disc brakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillyBill

I just ordered air bags for my '15 F350 DRW 2WD. Right now it squats 2 1/2" but is still level. The pin weight on my '17 LM is just under 4K! Upgrading to the Flex-Air pin box soon as well. Trailer seems a little smoother since I upgraded the wet bolts and balanced the tires and definitely stops on a dime with the new disc brakes!

Did you install those disc brakes yourself? How did it go?

WB

NYSUPstater

Latest update.

I removed the overload brackets and sure enough, on last outing (this past w/e), no more "banging". Ride is MUCH more doable. THANK YOU on the suggestion of removing them as a starting point.