08 GMC 3500 Dually

RSIG

Just purchased a new GMC 3500 dually D/A. I will be towing a BH 3670. I plan on installing B&W 18K companion hitch. I have read of a few cases of not enough clearance on some of the new GM trucks. It appears most have solved the problem with adjustments to the hitch assembly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cyclone Traveler

We have a Chevy 3500HD towing a Cyclone. The only clearance issue I have had is with the tonneau cover rails. They are only an inch above the bed rails but just enough to catch if I have the trailer at a weird height angle and 85 degree turn has come into contact with the tonneau rails. I switch to an 5th Airborne which is slightly short pin box then stock, solved the problem and significantly improved the ride.

truknutt

Committed Member
Traveler,

That's great to hear about your 5th Airborne switch. I have been debating pulling the trigger on that purchase.

Now that I know another 3210 owner noticed an improvement, it'll be easier to pry Momma's wallet open!!!:D

Hope you had a great trip to NM & back.

Cyclone Traveler

I would definitely recommend. We could really tell the difference on I40 through Oklahoma which is a concrete and bumpy highway. We have put 37,000 miles on the trailer in the past year and a half, of which 15,000 with the 5th airborne. It is also easy to install.

It was an excellent trip, however I desperately wanting to be on the go fulltime.

flamingknitter

I have an Augusta and a Chevy 2008 dually with a B&W companion hitch. My hitch is at the recommended height and I have to be careful of weird angles. When I was taking my driving lesson, I goobered up the driver's side rail protection cap with the electrical box that was mounted below the level of the hitch. I had the dealer move that up so that the hitch would be the lowest part (gave me another three inches of clearance or so). I am happy with the set up. It is easy to hook up and unhook. I use a step ladder so that I can reach the handle to open the jaws. Can't speak for the other hitches. This is my one and only experience!!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Marybeth and others with a clearance problem. The bed rail sides on the new GM trucks are about an 1"&1/2 higher that the 07 classic and older trucks. This issue was discussed awhile back here on the forum. I work at a Chevy dealer and physically measured them to make sure. I wonder how many RV dealers are aware of this or dont care. As to the issue of the electrical box clearance, we should get Jim B. to pass it on to HL so they can solve it in production at the plant. My 2cts worth. Bob:D

Cyclone Traveler

Correct it is higher. I do not have experience with the B&W companion hitch, but with the Reese Signature Series with our Cyclone trailer has never had electric box clearance or the pin box clearance issues with the factory bed rails. I did raise my hitch to next level from our previous Chevrolet truck and still have the ability to raise it one more level. I also raised the trailer to its highest setting to keep it level when connected to the truck. The only issue we have had is with the bed cover rails with sit an inch higher and inch closer to the hitch. With the installation of the 5th Airborne it further increased clearance due to it’s slightly shorter dimension compared to the stock pin box. We have pulled nearly 40000 miles with tight turns and weird angles on and off the beaten path, toy hauler lots of dirt activitiesJ, without any issue to the factory bedrails. I cannot speak to other Heartland trailer configurations. Hope this helps.

jbeletti

...As to the issue of the electrical box clearance, we should get Jim B. to pass it on to HL so they can solve it in production at the plant... Bob:D

Done. I passed this along to Production and Engineering this morning. I am not in a position to promise any change but you have been heard and it will be discussed at the plant.

Thanks for flagging this up.

Jim