Bypass valves

Niles

Anyone go to winterize their unit and the water heater bypass valve not work. I had to disconnect the lines on the back of the water heater tank and connect them so I could winterize it. Is there a seal that has went bad in the valve allowing the water to flow though it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry to say I can't be much help Niles. Heartland changed the plumbing between 07 & 08. We have an 07. Our valves are on the rear of the water heater. I have never had one go bad though. Hopefully somebody with a more current set up will be able to help. The only thing I can think of is the handle may have come loose from the valve stem.

Niles

We also had the valves in back in our 08, but asked our dealer to install the valves to do the quick winterizing, that's why we have them. I've checked the handle and it isn't loose so back to square one, may just be a bad valve. Oh well only problem we had coming back from Florida, other than just having to come back to 25 degrees.

Steve WV

Niles, Was your problem antifreeze flowing into the water heater when you were trying to winterize it? There's a check valve in the black plastic fitting on the top outlet on the water heater. That was my problem. I pulled the valve out and put it back together and it works fine now. Hope that helps. Steve

LBallard

I had a valve replaced a couple weeks ago. My problem was not getting hot water into the unit. Although, the valve appeared to operate normally, the internal parts of the valve was stuck as to allow only cold water when the Hot water tap was on.

All appears to work as advertised.

Niles

I don't have the valves in back of the water heater, just the two to bypass the water pump and the one for the water heater. And yes I was getting anti-freeze in the heater tank, and I think the valve is bad also, and will replace it when it warms up a little. Thanks for the reply's.