Slow drain in shower

silverfox

I did a search but can't find an answer on this forum. Our shower recently has become very slow draining. We leave the gray tank valve open all the time when parked for extended periods. What is safe to use to unstop the drain? Could it just be a buildup of soap in the pipe?

SmokeyBare

SilverFox,

I agree with your thoughts... it is probably a build up inside the pipes. The drain pipes are the same used in a Stick Built Home. Black ABS plastic... so the usual drain cleaners should not harm the plumbing of the RV. I have used a drain cleaner in our BigHorn.

Question might be what to use if the RV Park has a Septic system. Although I doubt if the typical drain cleaners would give any serious problems to a septic system.... I have used it when we still lived in Ohio... We had a old septic system... never had a problem.

I feel the different products we often use when taking a shower leads to this build up... hair conditioner is one... a wax type product... it could help coat the pipes as it flows down the drain. We have stopped using "Bar type Soap" but now use liquid soap. I have had issues with both the shower and the bathroom sink drains. The bar type hand and face soap seems to collect inside the drain pipes... when I finally paid attention to what most public buildings (Rest Rooms) use.... it's always a liquid soap. I believe it gives them far less problems over all.

Just my thoughts...

jnbhobe

Silverfox; Just a thought here , But have you checked the drain for hair. It will do it every time!!! JON :D :D :D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've had the slow draining shower and vanity sink as well. I have to remove the hair that builds up just under the strainer. I also use the drain cleaner that is 2 part in the same bottle stuff and you pour it down, let it set for a bit and rinse with hot water. Does the trick.

HappyKayakers

Silverfox; Just a thought here , But have you checked the drain for hair. It will do it every time!!! JON :D :D :D

Ditto! I just finished pulling out several clumps of DW's hair. Don't have to worry about mine :D While I was in there getting dirty, I also used a plunger for anything that might have gotten caught a little further down the pipe. Just made sure the stopper was closed on the sink. Draining much better now.