Thread: caulking

1. Print this Post   #1

caulking

While at the rally in Goshen I had some work done on our Landmmark, the tech used a caulking compound called Sikaflex. I did not realize just how many different types of caulking were available. Can someone at the factory tell me which one I should purchase in order to duplicate the factory caulked seams.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: caulking

I would also be interested in the name of the factory caulking.Anything I have used always turns brown within a couple weeks

3. Print this Post   #3

I think the sikaflex(sp?) is a permanent, life time caulking if applied correctly. I just started hearing about it at Goshen from Master Tech. I am curious if this is the standard caulking Heartland uses on the Big Horn and from what serial number on................

One other comment, this caulking cannot be applied over the old caulking. The old caulking needs to be totally removed!!!
    Sue and Tom Wharton
    Hoover and Patches(Cats)
    2011 BH3670
    2001 International MDT Stalick Conversion
    Life Time Escapee

4. Print this Post   #4

I think??? it is sikaflex 521??--Can be purchased in marine stores and maybe some larger rv stores. You can also search on the web.
    al
    aatauses

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by davebennington View Post
    While at the rally in Goshen I had some work done on our Landmmark, the tech used a caulking compound called Sikaflex. I did not realize just how many different types of caulking were available. Can someone at the factory tell me which one I should purchase in order to duplicate the factory caulked seams.

Thanks,

Dave
    Sikaflex-UV521, says guarnteed for 1 yr after application. I just removed and reapplied new to several caulking joints on the front of our RV it's less than a yr old, but several spots were loose or obvious gaps. Also since this is talking about caulking, something you might want to check is remove the entrance assist handles, we had what looked like plumbers puddy at both screw mounting holes to keep water out from behind the laminated sides, but the handles obviously were put on after the doors were caulked, there was no caulking between the door handle mounting brackets and door moulding. Might be a place to check when going over caulking.
    Rob n Mo (aka Mona) 1 Sheltie (Indy) 2 Silver Shaded Persians (Mocha & Shelby who now produced baby Shilo)
    2007 Ram Laramie dually 6.7 cummins
    94 FXDWG (hers)
    04 FLSTCI (his)
    Retired, now LIFE begins.

6. Print this Post   #6
    karykatz

To all,

We use Sikaflex 521UV White caulk. The UV (ulta violet) is the key to it not turning brown. You shouldnt have to remove old caulk unless it is cracking.

I hope this helps.

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
    To all,

We use Sikaflex 521UV White caulk. The UV (ulta violet) is the key to it not turning brown. You shouldnt have to remove old caulk unless it is cracking.

I hope this helps.
    Kary,

What are you using on the full body painted Landmark rigs?

Thanks.
    Howard, Kathy and little Sophie (our 4# Yorkie)
    • 2010 Dodge 3500 Dually, 4X4, Crew Cab, Auto tranny, long bed, B&W Companion
    • 2011 Augusta, Godiva, dual pane, 2 heat pumps, combo washer/dryer, custom paint, 5th Airborne pinbox

Heartland Owners Club #1437