Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best black streak, grime and bug remover ever!

1. Print this Post   #1

Best black streak, grime and bug remover ever!

Over the weekend I washed and waxed our Augusta. And while washing and waxing a camper that big is a workout, I enjoy doing it. I decided to try Meguiar's Polishing Compound from my local auto parts store. This stuff is the best black streak, grime and bird poop/ dead bug remover ever. It removes black grime from all parts of the camper with minimum effort. It also leaves the fiberglass polished and shinny.

Around here in mid summer the birds devour purple berries that we call ink berries. They are very hard to get off anything. When it comes out of the other end of the bird they are even harder to get off surfaces. The Meguiar's removed even the most stubborn bird poop that I could not get off last year using everything under the sun. And best of and all, after removeing the grime the camper is waxed and looks better than new!

I will retire the Awesome Orange highly recommend this product.

John
    John and Charlotte
    2009 Landmark Augusta
    2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab
    Firestone airbags/ 20K Reese hitch
    6500 watt Onan / 2500 watt inverter / Four 12v batteries in slide out box tray
    3 great kids and 2 German shepherd dogs

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Best black streak, grime and bug remover ever!

john, i have to agree with you on that. i use the mcguiars on my boat and it removes the most stubborn commorant/gull poop stains you can imagine!! even after baking on in hot sun if we dont go to the boat for a week or 2.

after the polishing compound i would reccomend the PURE WAX. this will leave a fantastic shine. i do the polish/wax in separate steps. i use the polish 1st to remove oxidation/stubborn dirt then the wax. takes twice as long but the shine/protection you get is unbeatable. once a year on my boat keeps it looking great and water beading the entire year and thats with it in hot sun on a mooring ball in tough elements all season. so you can imagine the job itll do on a camper!!

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product...Boat-RV-Polish (this is polish only NOT polish/wax combined)

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product...at-Rv-Pure-Wax

both these are GREAT!!

3. Print this Post   #3
    Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret) boatto5er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Over the weekend I washed and waxed our Augusta. And while washing and waxing a camper that big is a workout, I enjoy doing it. I decided to try Meguiar's Polishing Compound from my local auto parts store. This stuff is the best black streak, grime and bird poop/ dead bug remover ever. It removes black grime from all parts of the camper with minimum effort. It also leaves the fiberglass polished and shinny.

Around here in mid summer the birds devour purple berries that we call ink berries. They are very hard to get off anything. When it comes out of the other end of the bird they are even harder to get off surfaces. The Meguiar's removed even the most stubborn bird poop that I could not get off last year using everything under the sun. And best of and all, after removeing the grime the camper is waxed and looks better than new!

John
    Hey John,

Want to come down to Dumfries for a couple of days?

Gus and Debra Funderburg (Founding Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina Chapter Leaders - Retired)
    Romeo and Juliet (the mischievous Dachshunds)
    2011 Landmark Grand Canyon (Code name - The Landmark Diner)
    HOC #1054
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW Crew Cab, 6.7L PowerStroke (The Gray Ghost)

4. Print this Post   #4

using polishing compound more then what is needed will slowly remove your gelcoat.
    Duane & Debbie with Regis & Baylee
    RIP camping buddies Cagney, Misty, my Molly & Gungy
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

5. Print this Post   #5

Is this this like saying the Colorado river will slowly remove rock or is this a realistic concern for someone that uses polishing compound once a year to remove streaks and bird poop? Bear in mind this is a hand applied, consumer grade compound.

Gus, I waxed in April and my shoulder is still sore. I wasn't looking forward to my spring wax job but it really wasn't that bad. And when I was done, it looked better that the day we brought it home.

John
    John and Charlotte
    2009 Landmark Augusta

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post

John
    I am going to try this you're about the 10th person who has really rated the Meguiar's so highly. I had to retire the "Awesome Orange" also, can't say for sure but I feel it was having adverse affects on the front cap of our BH. I thought I had rinsed it off really good but apparantely not I'm seeing dull streaks.

See Ya,

Ron

Retired US Navy, Vietnam Vet, Life Member VVA
    Great Wife of many years Ann
    Little Camping Buddies, Lula, & Emily (MinPin/Chiquaqua)
    2015 Chevy 3500HD Dually Duramax/Allison
    2014 Big Country 3650RL
    Owners Club Member #1158

7. Print this Post   #7

I am a firm believer in Bounce Dryer sheets. Just wet the camper cap down good, wet the sheet and off comes the bugs. Try ed it for the first time this week and boy did it really work and it is not hard on the wax.
    Jim & Pat 2010 3410re Bighorn
    2003, Patriot Blue, Quad Cab, SB, SRW, SO, 48 RE Transmission, 373 Gear, Stock Wheels, Tires and Exhaust. (Mods) Tone Ring, Edge Juice/Monitor, Silencer Ring Removed, High Volume Filter, 4" Hole In Bottom Of Air Box, Torque Tube Baffle Removed, Dave's Tank Vent, Mystery Switch D.G tc, Trans Go shift kit and trans. gauge.

8. Print this Post   #8

I don't usuallly have much of a problem getting the dead bugs off. They usually come off with a good wash. What I really liked about the Meguiar's Polishing Compound was it removed the purple bird poop and the black streaks with ease. The purple bird poop from the dark purple berries the birds eat, used to be really tough to get off. This made it easy.

I didn't wax the whole camper with this, I just used it on the tough stains. For the bumper to hitch wax, I like the regular Meguiars wax.

John
    John and Charlotte
    2009 Landmark Augusta

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by jpajax View Post
    I am a firm believer in Bounce Dryer sheets. Just wet the camper cap down good, wet the sheet and off comes the bugs. Try ed it for the first time this week and boy did it really work and it is not hard on the wax.
    Yes my brother in law owns ambulances companies and he told us about the bounce dryer sheets to get love bugs off so we have used it in our cars for years! It also works great on travel trailers too!

10. Print this Post   #10

I routinely use the Meguiars spray and wipe wax on the front of my North Trail before every trip. I never have a problem getting bugs or any other grime off although I have used Awesome from the dollar store for stubborn spots. It only takes about a half hour to clean and wax the front and it is always nice and shiny and clean and has a layer of protective wax.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast