what air compressor?

deee2

Hey all... we've been RVing now for about six years, and never had a flat tire. Knock on wood. (hubby's head). My question is, he has grown tired of putting air in the tires for over an hour before a trip... are there faster air compressors out there that inflate to 110 pounds? We just have one of those 12 volt $40 doo goodies.

Thanks for any ideas!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Consider getting a small 120V compressor, like the Husky or Porter Cable, et.al. If you're filling before a trip or before leaving a campsite (not a boondock), that will get you 110 psi reasonably quick. I use my 3 gallon Makita air compressor (runs my air nail guns, hobby WW'ing) to fill up the tires. Although it fills its tank to 120 psi, I need to dump air until it kicks on again and then connect to the valve stem. Takes me only a few minutes to get the tires up to pressure (110 psi).

Save the 12V compressor for road emergencies or where you don't have shore power.

PS: When checking the tires on the trailer, don't forget the spare. You might find it useless if it's hung there neglected for a couple years. Unfortunately, the stem is on top, so you do have to drop it. I suppose you could flip it over, though.

2010augusta

I have a 2 gallon Craftsman compressor installed in the wasted space behind the basement wall. I put a retractable reel back there too. airs them all up just fine .

Attachments

• DSCN1696 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1696 (Small).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN1698 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1698 (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1699 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1699 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 70

JohnDar

Alan, does your compressor bring your tires up to 110 psi without having to dump & run, like mine? With mine, I can top off the first tire, but if the tank drops below 110 psi, the compressor does not kick in until it drops below 100 psi, so I have to force it on to get the next tire. Usually, even when I've let them go over the summer, I'm starting at near 105 psi.

porthole

Retired
I have the Porter Cable pancake. Pictures of it in my And So It Begins Thread.

It cuts in at 125 and cuts out at 150.

JohnDar

I have the Porter Cable pancake. Pictures of it in my And So It Begins Thread.

It cuts in at 125 and cuts out at 150.

I could hook my PC100 pin nailer to that and use it as an offensive weapon! Up to the length of the hose, anyways. The PC tools still get pretty good ratings in the woodworking circles.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have the Craftsman 6 gallon/150 PSI pancake compressor with a 50' curly hose.. Paid $159.00 for it. Weighs 21#'s, fits in the front campartment. Works really well to air tires up to 110#'s. But today I went crazy with 12-2 rolmex. I added a 110V plug in the front comaprtment and 1 in the basement. I did use real plugs and boxes thought. No more removing the compressor or running an extension cord. BTW, it works SO good I bought one for the garage and put wheels on it. Now I can drag it around with me.

Bighurt

I have the Craftsman 6 gallon/150 PSI pancake compressor with a 50' curly hose.. Paid $159.00 for it. Weighs 21#'s, fits in the front campartment. Works really well to air tires up to 110#'s. But today I went crazy with 12-2 rolmex. I added a 110V plug in the front comaprtment and 1 in the basement. I did use real plugs and boxes thought. No more removing the compressor or running an extension cord. BTW, it works SO good I bought one for the garage and put wheels on it. Now I can drag it around with me.

Got a part# or a link. After seeing Alan image I might have to through one in my basement, I'd like a model capable of running the higher PSI you boys use for in the future.

Northern Virginia
We have several air compressors we use at work. Most of the small compressors at home stores are the oil-less type. They are cheaper and lighter. But , I can tell you from a lot of experience, the oil type (Like Alan has) are much better. One of the biggest benefits is they are a lot quieter and recover in about half the time. They also last longer. Having said that, I have a Porter Cable oil-less pancake compressor in the belly of our Landmark and wouldn't be without it. My 2500 watt MSW inverter barley even knows when it starts. I did get this for free which is why I have it. If I were to buy one, I would go with the oil type. But either one of the pancake style work really good. The 150 PSI are awesome.

John

lwmcguir

I use a 12 volt double tank unit that has an adjustable pressure switch. It has a motor similar to a diesel starter. Pumps up to 135 in two minutes and will top off the tires easily. Cost about $250 and has lasted many years and still works perfectly. It is oil less as well. I have used to inflate tractor tires with no problems. Weighs about 25 pounds and is takes up about a cubic foot.

Dave012

I put a 12 volt Viair compressor and tank on my truck. I know some others including Jim B run something similar. The benefits are that it is with me all the time, I don't need 110volt, and it has 200 psi (compressor turns on again at 165). It takes a truck tire from 65 to 80 in no time so it should go to 110 quickly too. The downsides are it is more expensive than some of the other units, and that you have to install it.

JohnDar

I thought the G's were recommended to 110 psi cold temperature pressure. That's where I keep mine, per the labelling on the tire.

But that little compressor is rated to 150 psi, it's small, and with a 10 ft. cord and 16 ft. hose, doing the tires on my rig would not be a problem. Would save me from dragging my air nailer compressor around, which is larger, heavier, and maxs out at 120 psi. For $84, it could stay with the rig or in the gear box in the bed of my truck. Might have to take a closer look.

Joe Isuzu

Hankook F19 tires per manufacturer and as labeled on tire: Size: 7.50R16LT Ply Rating: 14 Load: 122/118 Speed: K Rim Range: 5.5-7.0 OD: 31.9 SW: 8.4 TW: 5.9 TD:14.5 Revs/Mile: 651 Sidewall type: 5BL Max Air - Single/Double: 105/105 Max Load Single/Double: 3330/3175

jnbhobe

Hankook F19 tires per manufacturer and as labeled on tire: Size: 7.50R16LT Ply Rating: 14 Load: 122/118 Speed: K Rim Range: 5.5-7.0 OD: 31.9 SW: 8.4 TW: 5.9 TD:14.5 Revs/Mile: 651 Sidewall type: 5BL Max Air - Single/Double: 105/105 Max Load Single/Double: 3330/3175

Thats not a radial is it???

jheitman

I just bought this small compressor.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915309000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I really like it so far. Light weight ( 20 lbs) and compact. Cuts off at 150 and cuts on at 120 psi. Has an adjustable output regulator so I can use it to blow out the water lines.

VisitedStatesMap.jpg
Jim & Marilynn Heitman - Owners Club # 1756
2010 Chevy Silverado, Ext Cab, 4x4, 6.0 L Vortec
2011 Greystone 32RE
Reese Select Plus 20k Slider Hitch

Last edited: