Dave & Julie's Alaska Adventure

davebennington

I said that we would do a blog I started but found it cumbersome, so JimB suggested that we post here. I have a couple days to enter and bring everyone up to date.

Dave

Last edited:

davebennington

Sunday 6/19/2011

We did not get a good start this morning, we tried to bring the slides in and nothing was moving, A call to Bob Teage of Lippert/Trailair, (the hydraulic Wizard) he rushed over to our site and quickly found the problem ( a loose wire). Talk about feeling really stupid I should have found the problem myself.

Bob you the man.

We are now at a Passport America Campground in Davenport, IA. Roughly 285 miles from Goshen.

The Mosey on is running good taking the hills nicely.

Dave & Julie

davebennington

Monday June 20/2011

Day 2 from Goshen or day 11 from the farm, I think it best if we set the start time from Goshen.

We did better mileage wise 335, not bad considering all the all the rain and bridge work that's being done on the way.

Now camped at a Good Sam park Onawa, IA. Nice place but a little troubled about flooding, the Missouri river has flooded the some of the roads and surrounding area. Good thing we are not going south on Interstate as the road is closed.

More tomorrow.
Dave & Julie

davebennington

Tuesday 6/21/2011

We are in Presho, South Dakota for the night. No WIFI today so will post this tomorrow.
There was a really bad storm last night before we left Onawa, IA tornados to the south of us the wind blew so strong we had to pull the slides in. We had a chance to see the flooding first hand caused by the storms. I feel so sorry for the folks who have been flooded out.
Today it rained all day and once we got to South Dakota the winds were very strong, we bucked a head wind all day. Not the best fuel mileage.
We are at a campground that has to be one of the worst we have ever stayed at, it is a Good Sam park but I do not think there is a level site in the place. In addition with all the rain there is mud everywhere.
For those that are interested the name of the campground it is New Frontier campground and RV Park , just off highway 90.

Dave & Julie

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Make sure you keep a look out for more water coming down the river. It can rise rather quickly. Be safe and enjoy the rest of your trip. I will be looking out for your post as we are heading that way some time soon, I hope that is. Michael

davebennington

Wednesday 6/22/2011

We are in Sundance, Wyoming finally out of the rain and wind of South Dakota.

We almost got stuck trying to get out of the campground in Presho. Lucky for us the posi-traction kicked in and pulled us to hard ground.

I am having a hard time adjusting to the time zone changes, wakeup in the middle of the night thinking it is time to get up.

Julie consented to a picture at the welcome center; this is a pretty part of the country.

DSC01424.jpg
We should be in Montana tomorrow sometime.

Manzan

We travel I-90 often, DW is from Iowa. Been to the campground in Presho, we now stop at a small KOA in Kennebec. Very nice people and I don't think there is an unlevel site.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Westward Ho!! Thanks for the thread, it let's us sneak in with you and your travels. Only thing that could be better is if we were traveling with you:angel:.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
hey Dave, Julie and Roxy,
We are very excited about watching your posts for this trip.
Cant wait to see all the pictures and find out almost first hand what a trip to Alaska is like.

Have a safe trip and enjoy it!!!

davebennington

Thursday 6/23/2011

We have arrived in Columbus, MT, Nice little camp ground called Mountain Range RV Park, really nice folks running it and they have relatives back in Virginia not too far from us. They also have free fast WIFI.

Easy run today Highway 90 is a smooth road without too many road or bridge works going on.

We saw the Big Horn Mountain Range today, with snow at the peaks. We also saw many, many, many antelope everywhere. This is magnificent part of the country.

DSC01430-2.jpgDSC01434-1.jpg

dieselsweetheart

We'll be seeing AK in August but not from the RV....we are doing a 12 day cruisetour through Royal Caribbean. It's my trip I missed last year when I broke my knee...except this year it's much bigger...we've added more days.... heading out with Truknutt and his Mrs and we are counting the days!

davebennington

Friday 6/24/2011

We are in a little town in Montana called Conrad, at a small campground (about 30 sites) run by a little old lady who does not believe in gouging the public. The rate here is $27.00 that is for pull through site, full hookup, free WIFI, cable tv, and Chewing gum, and a razor if you want one.

Long day today, distance out here is deceiving if you look out the windshield you think an object is about 2 miles away in reality it is more like 5 to 8 miles.

We have been in the valleys between 2 mountain ranges with snow capped mountains on both sides. The wind picked up again making it tough going.

Here are a few pictures of the passing scenery. We must have crossed the Missouri river at least 30 times as the road winds back and forth.

We should be in Canada tomorrow, we are crossing at Sweetgrass, Montana.

Attachments

• DSC01435-1.jpg
    DSC01435-1.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC01439-1.jpg
    DSC01439-1.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC01440-1.jpg
    DSC01440-1.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC01459-1.jpg
    DSC01459-1.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 136

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
You are 59.5 miles from Canada, we're following you on Street Atlas. Thanks for the photos, what a scenic view. Safe continued travels.

davebennington

Julie was the official picture taker today, and she just asked "how come you did not post the others that I like" So, here they are.
The people in this part of the country are a hearty bunch, when you think about it when you live out here, you are miles from a doctor, hospital or even a town, you are on your own for most everything.

Attachments

• DSC01445.jpg
    DSC01445.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC01446.jpg
    DSC01446.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01449.jpg
    DSC01449.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC01450.jpg
    DSC01450.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC01451.jpg
    DSC01451.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01452.jpg
    DSC01452.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC01457.jpg
    DSC01457.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 135

2psnapod2

Wow, what a set of great pics. Julie does take some good pictures. Keep them coming.

lcdrdean

We took the same trip from Sweetgrass to Fairbanks almost two months ago. We crossed into Canada on the 22nd of April and arrived here in Fairbanks on the 8th of May. Worst part of the trip was between Burwash Landing and the Alaska border. Hopefully the road has improved since we came through.

Where are you going in AK? We are work-camping here in Fairbanks, but get 6 days off at a time (after working 8 half days) for side trips. We've already been down to Anchorage. Our next trip is to Dawson City and Eagle next Thursday. We also have trips planned to Prudhoe Bay, Valdez, and Seward.

We'll be leaving Fairbanks in mid-September and driving to Haines where we'll take the ferry to Juneau. From Juneau we'll catch the ferry again and take it all the way down to Bellingham, WA via the inside passage.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Who would've thought we'd have TWO VA club members in Alaska at the same time!? You guys rock!

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Dave& Julie, Santha & I are enjoying the thread and photo's. Keep it up. Randy,Santha and the Poodles

2psnapod2

we'll take the ferry to Juneau. From Juneau we'll catch the ferry again and take it all the way down to Bellingham, WA via the inside passage.

We thought about do the ferry but heard it was pretty expensive. Is this true?