Dodge 6.7L MIL light

rick_debbie_gallant

Has anyone heard of a recall:eek: on the 6.7L cummins turbo? I have been having my MIL light cycle on and off constantly:mad:. took it to the dealer and he said "dont worry about it.":mad: Then a couple of days ago I got a letter from an attorney regarding a class action lawsuit:rolleyes:. Any Ram owners experience this? You can PM me if you want.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Mother-in Law Light???I don't have one. Hope I don't get one either..... :p

BC

Oh.. A malfunction-indicator-light.. I have a Check Engine Light..

hoefler

The 07's and the early 08's had turbo issues. They went through a cleaning process, and if that didn't cure it, the turbo was replaced. I had an early 08 and went through this. Once the turbo was changed, I never had another engine related problem. The best thing to do to keep from having turbo problems is to run with the exhaust brake on all the times to keep it exercised, and to never baby it. With all the emission crap that they have to install on them, you have to get them hot and keep them hot!! Grocery getter's had the majority of problems, stop and go traffic and short trips. The newer models are much better. If you haven't done it yet, get the computer updated! You can get all the programming that the new ones have, usually for free. Every time I take mine in for an oil change, I have them check for updates, never get charged.

rick_debbie_gallant

The 07's and the early 08's had turbo issues. They went through a cleaning process, and if that didn't cure it, the turbo was replaced. I had an early 08 and went through this. Once the turbo was changed, I never had another engine related problem. The best thing to do to keep from having turbo problems is to run with the exhaust brake on all the times to keep it exercised, and to never baby it. With all the emission crap that they have to install on them, you have to get them hot and keep them hot!! Grocery getter's had the majority of problems, stop and go traffic and short trips. The newer models are much better. If you haven't done it yet, get the computer updated! You can get all the programming that the new ones have, usually for free. Every time I take mine in for an oil change, I have them check for updates, never get charged.

This here is what I have found: As designed and manufactured, the exhaust system of 2007 through 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks equipped with the 6.7 liter Cummins turbo diesel engine is inherently and permanently defective because it fails to effectively rid itself of diesel particulates through its regeneration process, causing soot to accumulate in the diesel particulate filter (“DPF”), turbocharger, exhaust gas recirculation (“EGR”) valve, oxygen sensors, and other associated parts. The accumulation of soot triggers the check engine light and requires those parts to be regularly replaced, repaired, or cleaned. The exhaust system occasionally manages to clean itself to the extent necessary to turn off the check engine light; however, the check engine light turns back on after soot accumulates again as a result of the exhaust system’s inherent and permanent inability to effectively rid itself of diesel particulates through its regeneration process.

I think this explains it. There are currently class action lawsuits going in various states.

brianharrison

Can anyone supply links to these lawsuits or Dodge TSBs or recalls?

My brother-in-law just got his 08 6.7 truck back from the dealer - they replaced DPF, EGR, all sensors but not turbo. He is ****ed.

Brian

Rrloren

My '07 has 75m miles on it and hasn't been to the dealer or had any problems for about 3 years since I unplugged the EGR valve at 25m miles. This also will improve fuel mileage 2-3 miles/gal.
I know some will argue the validity of doing this but I have run 50m miles with not one problem. I ave. 17- 17.5 mpg, rural driving.
About a year ago or so Dodge came out with a free computer upgrade to address the sooting problems but I never bothered to get it. Afraid they will screw up my good running truck.

caissiel

My Son had a late 2007 and was at the dealer all the time due to plugging and before the warranty was over he traded on a 2011 and the last news from him its the same problem, and he is glad he has warranty. I had told him to get an early 2007 and he never listens to his Dad anyway.

beardedone

Beardedone
The computer update you want is the J-35. If you are going to do any engine mods then make sure the J-35 is done first. I have driven with my exhaust brake constantly for several years and my EGR valve unplugged. No problems at all and a lot of diesel techs and some dealers will encourage you to do it. There is tons and tons of good reading at the Dodge Cummins Forum and it won't cost you a penny.

rick_debbie_gallant

The computer update you want is the J-35. If you are going to do any engine mods then make sure the J-35 is done first. I have driven with my exhaust brake constantly for several years and my EGR valve unplugged. No problems at all and a lot of diesel techs and some dealers will encourage you to do it. There is tons and tons of good reading at the Dodge Cummins Forum and it won't cost you a penny.

Gerry, I think I had the last computer flash done. will have to check it out. What does unplugging the EGR valve do? How is you fuel mileage?

I just had my 08 2500 in the shop because of the exhaust filter was full due to the regen process had failed. I am sure glad it was warranty work because when I signed for the work it was $1800.00

beardedone

Beardedone
By unplugging the EGR valve you reduce the amount of exhaust being recirculated into your engine and also the frequency of re-generations. I have picked up about an extra 2 mpg since doing it. The truck runs very well with that extremely simple mod. An awful lot of people have done it. It would probably be hard for me to explain where the plug is other then to say it is on the drivers side of the engine attached to the right side of the EGR. It is brown and about 1" X 1/2". If you go do a search on the Dodge Cummins site you find pictures and lots of discussion on it. A dealer I know tells everyone to do this because they to are aware of how it reduces issues because of exhaust build up in the system.

When driving solo at 100 kph (62mph) I average around 19 to the US gal measurement. Towing I get 11.5 on flat land and about 10 in the mountains. That is with a dually and a Landmark weighing in at about 23,000 lbs with 3:73 gears. By the way I lock out 6th gear when towing which makes it easier to keep the engine in the proper power band.

merlinb

Retired
Here's a couple pics of the unplugged EGR valve.Just squease the tab and pull out.

View attachment 15688View attachment 15689

Richard, are you driving around with the MIL illuminated or did you find a way to turn it off. I disconnected mine but the MIL comes on when I start the engine. I can turn it off by erasing the code with my Actron code reader but each time I start the engine it comes back on. I don't want to have to connect the code reader and erase it each time I start the engine but I also don't like driving around with the light on; no way to tell if the ECU detects a new fault. Thanks for the info.

Rrloren

I have an Edge Insight which monitors many engine functions and will also erase codes on startup if you push a couple buttons. Frankly , I only erase the codes when towing ,it takes only 10 seconds or so but I usually forget . I got used to seeing the mil lite.
There are units available that will clear codes on startup, automatically but cost more.

Moose

I always drive with my exhaust brake on. Don't idle engine very much and always try to keep RPMs above 1700. run vehicle on highways once a week.

Touch wood in 24,000 miles no issues. Nothing unplugged, everything stock.

There is a vast amount of information and opinions on http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

MdMike

My 08 2500 had an issue with the Engine Performance sensor.... I removed the sensor from the casting on the upper radiator hose, cleaned it with carb cleaner, cleaned the bowl that the sensor sits in, removed the stainless 3/8 inch tube from the side of the casting and the exzhaust manifold and cleaned it (with carb cleaner and a homade snake of pipe cleaners) then the part that was worst, the threaded area of the casting that accepts the stainless tube. I had to take a small drill bit and bore thru the crud twisting the bit in my fingers to clean it out. Once I got thru it it kind of cracked and fell from the threads.

Once cleaned I replaced everything and run with my engine brake on all the time. I have only had the light come on once and it was towing from Florida back to Md. and I erased the code and it never came back. It has been about 20K miles since I cleaned that part of the system and it seems to have worked. All in all about an hours work.