ATF: Cyclone - cabinet hinges pulling out

Homestead

I brought my new 26lrss home from the dealer last week and my wife and I are proudly loading it. So far, two of the overhead cabinet door hinges have pulled out of the cabinet door. The piston angle or stiffness is more than the plastic tip on the screw can bear. I have to admit we are very frustrated and disappointed. The dealer is 150 miles away over two mountain passes and the gas expense just to get there is about $60. What can I do? I have several of these. We've unloaded the cabinets and need to figure out our next step before we go on our trial camping outing. Please help!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A quick and easy fix is to fill the holes with wood glue, then put broken pieces of wood toothpick in the holes until completely filled in. After the glue dries, sand the area down just a little put, drill a small hole where the screw goes (you may use a slightly larger screw), and replace the door and hinge. Believe it or not, this is stronger than the original fitting and will hold up a lot longer! Has worked for a lot of us and is an easy "do it yourself" fix.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
A friend of mine had the same problem on his Sundance. He found some screws at Lowes that were ever-so-slightly longer than the original screws in his hinges and replaced most if not all of his screws and hasn't had an issue since.

Good luck,
Mark

TwoGypsies

We had 3 of ours fail during the warranty period. Even with an approved repair facility nearby, it was far less hassle to simply fix them ourselves. We used the slightly longer screws and also epoxied in the main body of the hinge. No problems since then. This is a good opportunity for the factory to make a small engineering change and eliminate an annoyance.

CabinetmakerII

This seems to be an on going problem that we as owners just go ahead and fix ourselves. It is a manufacturing problem! I use similar hinges in the constuction of our product. Our hinges do NOT just pull out of the hole. Where is the factory in all of this. I know they monitor this forum. Hey factory! your customers are telling you we are having issues! Are you doing anything with the information? We had the same problem with our coach and just fixed it. You and Your Amish cabinetmakers need to be made aware their tooling needs calibrated.

CabinetmakerII

ebgb3ex

New to this forum. Just got a 2013 Cyclone 3800 and the pop up cabinet above the sectional has this issue, also fixed myself with slightly longer screw and it happened again a few weeks later. Will try epoxy and longer screw. Cabinet drawer under fridge had a drawer guide problem and when I went to investigate the structure to which the drawer guide was attached was pitiful! Somebody at Cyclone needs to do some quality control. It is very inconvenient to try and go back to dealer for warranty work so fixing it ourselves leaves a bad taste in the mouth to say the least:(

vakthund

I think heartland attaches them with chewing gum. We have a brand new 2013 3800 and aware of this issue so we have been very careful when opening the overheads. Lasted three trips and now both doors are off the hinges. Going back to the dealer for other items so I'll let them fix it.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

Last edited:

hotonpi

I had the same problem with my 2011 3950, except my cabinet doors also were splitting and coming apart. The factory quickly sent replacement cabinet doors and my local dealer installed them. Problem seems to be solved. Many thanks to the Heartland factory for the great customer service! :)