squirrels entering bottom of camper

Squirrels are entering bottom of camper through hollow rear bumper. I have used moth cakes, steel wool and several products to discourage critters. Any suggestions? This design seems seriously fiawed to me.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
First time in 4 yrs we have mice!!! For us we believe there entering thur the electric cord!! We have a older model where the cord is attached to the rv.

RoadJunkie

Wow, this is a new one. Seems like they are either nesting or feeding. You didn't say if your unit is in storage or you're actually residing in your RV while this is happening. If in storage, you might try removing all (or as much as you can) traces of food. Instead of steel wool you might try to apply a metal, aluminum, plate to block the access. Some folks believe peppermint oil works to deter rodents, well, at least mice. Maybe a rat trap around the opening?

RuralPastor

It might be helpful to know the model of TT you have. I'm having a hard time understanding how the bumper is connected to the frame in a way that would allow squirrels access to the underside of the camper. Mark

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Doesn't the bumper have covers on the end? If so, they are getting in some other way.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I take care of squirrel problems by feeding them a liberal dose of red pepper flakes that you can find in the dollar stores. Sprinkle where every they are a problem and replentish occasionally as needed. If your storing your trailer, try sprinkling the ground around your trailer too. It may take a few bottles to get started but it is the best deterrent that I have found. Works great to protect enclosed wiring areas too.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Squirrels are entering bottom of camper through hollow rear bumper. I have used moth cakes, steel wool and several products to discourage critters. Any suggestions? This design seems seriously fiawed to me.

Beware,
We had two squirrels get in to our basement in a National Park last year. In an area, I couldn't get to with out dropping the coroplast.
I first noticed it when our 12 volt components started going out one by one. Lights, fans etc.
Rodents will chew wires instinctively. They did a number on ours. It took me over 6 hours total to fix all the damage.
When I was a phone company repairman, about one in five trouble reports, was caused by rodents.

I couldn't get them out in any humane way, so I resorted to Decon rat trays. Decon dehydrates animals, so they go looking for water.
It stunned them enough, so that I found them laying in the cargo area and I was able to push them out with a stick.
They had gotten in through the cargo door when we were outside having a cold one, with the doors open.
Now I keep cargo doors shut unless I am standing next to them, if I suspect any rodents are in the area. Trace

Last edited: